Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lots of romaian gypsies begging in town lately

Options
  • 26-08-2013 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Has anybody noticed the increase in roma gypsies begging and selling in and around town, there was always a few but seems like they are on every corner now, I thought there were new laws to stop begging and the like?

Roma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

There are laws.

However we lack the police force with the nads to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Had to laugh at one of them last week at the back of Debenhams, begging while on her smart phone, with bag of new bed linen from Debenhams beside her and tucking into a big lump of cake from the shop inside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

:rolleyes:
    There are laws.

There does seem to bea huge rise in numbers lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

There are laws.

Wasn't there a case recently in Dublin where a beggar was brought before a court and the charge against him or her was dropped and the judge actually awarded them money from the court poor box.
    If true,no wonder the gardai will not want to do anything

:rolleyes:

There does seem to bea huge rise in numbers lately.

I went through a few shops the other day and the same guy appeared in each shop, big "leather jacket" on him and a kid with him, he was in game shop right at the counter and the kid on the ground out of view going threw lots of stuff, they genuinely seemed to ge upto no good, cos they looked like they hadnt washed or eaten in years but suddenly they had money to shop, I told the counter assistant he was being done but he didn't appear to notice or care.

• Advertisement

aziz wrote: »
    Wasn't there a case recently in Dublin where a beggar was brought before a court and the charge against him or her was dropped and the judge actually awarded them money from the court poor box.

I heard this alright, don't know how true it was, thats judges in their ivory towers, probably slammed his gavel and went to eat fois gras in the shelbourne hotel on his expenses account. Before waddling off to the doctors to treat his gout.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

aziz wrote: »

That actually happened in Waterford. Remember reading it in the local paper a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

madfcuker wrote: »
    That actually happened in Waterford. Remember reading it in the local paper a while back.

Well jeez, if that happened in town,no wonder were being overrun by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Feared Fightwear

Begging within 10metres of a shop doorway, ATM machine, church or bank/post office is illegal. Waterford Gardai seem to walk past them though. They dont just beg, they are thieves and pickpockets, they send the infants to run into Gallaghers pharmacy and run out with goods for example. Im a retailer in the city and I do not allow them on my street. I have video of them following elderly people into churches harassing them for money and walking down by the park (they all live in William street) checking every parked car door to see if any were open. Too many goodey goodeys around and a community guard that would be better off not coming to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

yeah i noticed it too. I saw people coming out of the church behind the back of city square and there were 4 gypsies agressively persuing old ladies to give them money. I was going to leave a roar out of me for them to clear off but I thought maybe Id get beaten up.
    theres definitly more of them though.

• Advertisement

Begging within 10metres of a shop doorway, ATM machine, church or bank/post office is illegal. Waterford Gardai seem to walk past them though. They dont just beg, they are thieves and pickpockets, they send the infants to run into Gallaghers pharmacy and run out with goods for example. Im a retailer in the city and I do not allow them on my street. I have video of them following elderly people into churches harassing them for money and walking down by the park (they all live in William street) checking every parked car door to see if any were open. Too many goodey goodeys around and a community guard that would be better off not coming to work.

how do you stop them from begging on your street?

Scream at them to **** off, physically move them, take their 'I am deaf and dumb' sign and bin it, smack their paper cups out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

As long as they're begging for a one-way ticket home, no issues. In fact, I'd nearly drive them to the airport myself.

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    As long as they're begging for a one-way ticket home, no issues. In fact, I'd nearly drive them to the airport myself.

Why would they go home?
    Free housing, dole, childrens allowance, medical care, education etc etc
    I mean Irish are all for helping the less fortunate but these scum are here to beg, steal and scrounge. Its not racist, its fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Scream at them to **** off, physically move them, take their 'I am deaf and dumb' sign and bin it, smack their paper cups out of their hands.
    the tanned muscular unsung hero of waterford city centre

But of course :-)
    Seriously though, more retailers are copping on and want them moved, at least the fella who pisses against footlocker is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

But of course :-)
    Seriously though, more retailers are copping on and want them moved, at least the fella who pisses against footlocker is gone

careful now..someone will be along soon to accuse you of racism :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

he aint being racist though, he's doin the job that the gardai are meant to be doin and stopping these people affecting his business!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Good on ye for not putting up with it. If you give them an inch, they'll take a foot. I lived in Greece for many years, and you can't believe the stuff the gypsies get up to. They're bad enough in groups of two or three - imagine when there are full communities of them. Don't want to say they're all bad, and if you manage to get good with them then you're golden, but the bad ones are really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Seen the same fella (re lather jacket etc...) with three other women in the dole office signing on.

They have better phones than I do, that alone is a sign to me they aren't poor.

They are scum. Not racist, not disgusting, just the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

But Ireland needs more entrepreneurs like them - that's what they keeping telling me on TV.

CuriousG wrote: »
    Seen the same fella (re lather jacket etc...) with three other women in the dole office signing on.

They have better phones than I do, that alone is a sign to me they aren't poor.

They are scum. Not racist, not disgusting, just the truth.

True about the phones, I moved one from the church behind city square and she got on her iPhone to ring her boss presumably.

They're almost never poor; in fact, they are some of the richest people you might meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

EU Citizens with freedom of movement, game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Iv had a fair few foreigners say to me that the Roma have given nothing but trouble in their own countries, We will have an influx of them next year when Romania / Bulgaria have free travel rights in the EU, I'v no problem with Romanians and Bulgarians coming here as most of them will be no different to ourselves but those Roma will cause nothing but trouble..And I reckon thousands of them will come here..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

True about the phones, I moved one from the church behind city square and she got on her iPhone to ring her boss presumably.

So true. Even say no and there will be a gang of two or three in five minutes.

That's how they operate, they have a gang mentality (not only in this country) and that's the fact of the matter.

Last year I seen this old woman go up to one begging with her children and hand her a few coins, it wasn't much just some coppers and 20cents but my god surely if you were really a begger you would be grateful of ANYTHING, I know I would, but no, she threw the money away and spat at it. (Literally spat) the woman that gave it to her was no less than 70 or 80 I would say, it was horrible to see her take the time to try and give and that's the response you get. That tells me they are not needy.

My only pet peeve is how people in Ireland classify Roma Gypsies with Romanians.. They are not the same, and Roma are not ethnically Romanian in any way. A lot of them come from there in the sense they have a passport, but ethnically, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Anytime I have a problem with Roma I get out my phone and take a photo, end of problem.

They will run a mile and cars will appear from nowhere to pick them up.

Never put their credit i'm their phone if asked either. its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anytime I have a problem with Roma I get out my phone and take a photo, end of problem.

They will run a mile and cars will appear from nowhere to pick them up.

That's the one take their pictures, they hate it.
    Beware these are not just begers they are pick pockets too.

CuriousG wrote: »
    My only pet peeve is how people in Ireland classify Roma Gypsies with Romanians.. They are not the same, and Roma are not ethnically Romanian in any way. A lot of them come from there in the sense they have a passport, but ethnically, no.

That's right, and the Romanians I have known hate the Gypsies as much as anybody else. Roma Gypsies ultimately come from India, and they speak a Hindustani language related to Hindi and Urdu, although they mix in the local idiom according to the country they live in.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »

i didnt understand this part, could you elaborate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement