Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lots of romaian gypsies begging in town lately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

That's right, and the Romanians I have known hate the Gypsies as much as anybody else. Roma Gypsies ultimately come from India, and they speak a Hindustani language related to Hindi and Urdu, although they mix in the local idiom according to the country they live in.

Yes! I have a romanian friend, and it absolutely drives him demented when anyone likens them to gypsies... And understandably so, they are not the same and very different in a lot of ways.

I don't know how anyone can justify the things they do, or put the poor mouth on them, they're just about the worst people I can think of for scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

Has anybody noticed the increase in romanian gypsies begging and selling in and around town, there was always a few but seems like they are on every corner now, I thought there were new laws to stop begging and the like?

I was in the town last week and noticed exactly the same, I'm glad somebody has started a topic about this. It could become a serious problem if it's not being treated asap. Yes, they are Roma rather than Romanian but the fact they're combination of both - they are Romanian Gypsies - makes them a lot worse. They're not only begging (which is quite bad itself), but they scam for your bags and your pockets so you need to keep an eye on them constantly!!! That's what scares me. You can't go shopping around the town with your hands full of bags not to be bothered about your purse any more. And what makes it even worse, when there's something going on on the streets (such as Spraoi), you can't enjoy it as you did before because you've got those gypsy scumbags everywhere around you!!! If something isn't done soon, we'll be going to the town full of fear. And I'm not being racist, just very realistic. If we already see them being triple the amount of what we saw two years ago then how quickly will be more and more of them sitting in the town, doing nothing???????

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

CuriousG wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can justify the things they do, or put the poor mouth on them, they're just about the worst people I can think of for scamming.

Well, at the end of the day they were born and brought up to behave this way. It's their way of living they don't know what it means to get up early and work hard. But the bottom line is something should be done to protect the innocent people of this town!!!! And I'm not being racist, just got really scared when I went to town the other day...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

The guards would want to get off their backsides and sort this out very lively.Waterford city centre in general is a very safe place and things like drug addicts begging and harassing people for money in the city centre is not as big a problem in Waterford as it is in the bigger cities in ireland.Retailers in the city centre are finding the going tough enough as it is without this carry on affecting their trade and putting people off going into town.This is what finished off Limerick city centre.The guards in Limerick allowed the scumbags to have free reign of the city centre and everyone just started shopping in the Crescent and Parkway shopping centres instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Il like to hear from some PC do-gooders before forming an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

True about the phones, I moved one from the church behind city square and she got on her iPhone to ring her boss presumably.
    Probly stole the phones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

just dont give them any money and they move on to next place. im not one for defending our fantastic police force but when you have judges giving people who aggressively beg money from the court poor box, must be disheartening for the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

They don't just leave them to their own devices in france, they follow them back to where they are staying undercover, they stake them out and in one case they swooped to find the bosses driving high powered audis etc etc, they didn't send in the normal police they sent in the gendarme who are like military police, they stormed the place didn't walk in saying excuse me or tapped on their door, they kicked in their caravan door. They had swiss bank accounts and their crime spread accross europe .

I was very cautious about writing this cos of how it might be perceived. I was writing this as a warning to waterford because ive seen it happen in other countries and when they get a foothold and numbers increase its a bad sign.

Theres a thread on here about how can we make waterford better I would say waterford chamber of commerce and the gardai should meet immediately and make this their top priority to deal with the roma issue.

I would also asked all people who are in town to be vigilant and watch out for vulnerable people around town and call the guards and tell them its roma, the more calls they get the more aware they will be. Next time you see john halligan in town or any politician voice your concern. I hate to say it but it seems endemic of irish society, well people in power, that they are never pro-active they only re-active.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Would notice the build up alright, they could be coming from areas where there begging isn't being tolerated and find Waterford an easy target. I was working in town a couple of weeks ago and every day this fella would come along begging with a cup. Every single person, man, woman or child that went past he would shake this cup at them looking for change. I christened him " shakey cup man". He was moved on by a shop owner as he kept urinating beside a shop. But one thing I noticed was a younger fella would walk past shakey cup man about every two hours nearly like he was checking up on him. I've heard about beggars harassing people sitting outside Costa coffee, they wouldn't move on until they got some change.

Would notice the build up alright, they could be coming from areas where there begging isn't being tolerated and find Waterford an easy target. I was working in town a couple of weeks ago and every day this fella would come along begging with a cup. Every single person, man, woman or child that went past he would shake this cup at them looking for change. I christened him " shakey cup man". He was moved on by a shop owner as he kept urinating beside a shop. But one thing I noticed was a younger fella would walk past shakey cup man about every two hours nearly like he was checking up on him. I've heard about beggars harassing people sitting outside Costa coffee, they wouldn't move on until they got some change.

I'm heeeeeeeennnnrrrrrrrrrrry sellllllllllllllllllllllllerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. Ha.

They definitely network, theres 2 girls platting hair outside costa coffee more outside the book centre and the men sit on the seating outside there theres also one with kids down by jack n jones and theres a few on the quay, theres also one accross from argos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The ones platting hair in Red Square, surely they should be moved on? I was talking to the guy who sells the little bits of jewelry outside City Square and he said there is a permit needed to sell publicly around town and that the Council are very strict about who gets them?

In the Guards defense, I did see them catching a few gypsies last year on Paddy's Day, they were the ones who were selling balloons and such and they moved the gypsies on and took the balloons from them and gave them to the nearest kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    In the Guards defense, I did see them catching a few gypsies last year on Paddy's Day, they were the ones who were selling balloons and such and they moved the gypsies on and took the balloons from them and gave them to the nearest kids.

I hope the Guards had a permit to hand out those balloons otherwise they should of arrested themselves. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Jason Todd wrote: »
    The ones platting hair in Red Square, surely they should be moved on? I was talking to the guy who sells the little bits of jewelry outside City Square and he said there is a permit needed to sell publicly around town and that the Council are very strict about who gets them?

Typical Irish Cops handling stolen goods ,And getting a way with it ,when will we ever learn....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

An Irish person should go to Romania and beg and see how well they fare... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mozattack wrote: »
    An Irish person should go to Romania and beg and see how well they fare... not.

Not Romania, the Roma quarter of Bucharest. Roma in Romania are treated just like any other person breaking the begging laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

This is kind of general for all people coming into Ireland & not just Roma, that i think should be done.

1. You should be made do an english test. Without english how are your expected to work or mix with the locals.
    2. You should have some qualifications before let in. Without qualifications of some sorts your chances of finding work is not going to be good.
    3. If you have not found work after 4 to 6months, you should be sent home & you need to re apply to get back in.
    4. You need to apply to get into ireland if you plan on staying longer then a month.

I know we are in the EU so we can scrap all the above for EU countries. But it still could hold for outside the EU.

I know my self i have worked since the age of 9 "on building sites with my dad" ok i know this cant be done any more :) but i wanted to work. And i have been working ever since. Its just hard to take that people never want to work and expect everything for free "be irish Roma or what ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Have noticed them a lot more lately so much so it is putting me off parking where I would normally park (near Friary) as I am actually nervous with them around.
    I know this area used to have drunks and druggies before now they seem to have been replaced by beggars.

Was walking into city square earlier and some tourists were walking ahead of me and were having a conversation about how bad Waterford had got for begging since their last visit . They will more than likely go back with stories of begging more so in the mind that our city which is a total shame .

Agree something needs to be done about them asap !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford isn't that bad compared with other cities. Begging will occur anywhere a large gathering of people will take place which is why Waterford has them. Just like Cork, Dublin, Limerick and so on. I don't see much begging outside shop doors or ATMs in Waterford. There usually near Argos at the steps or at the back of City Square.

The chap in the leather jacket has been around a long time, family of them and they are living nearby. They all sell balloons, do the hair etc. which I assume the Gardai don't move on because they don't all beg.

Radio 1 covered this before in Dublin which has far worse begging and the tourists they interviewed didn't see it as a major problem or enough to turn them away from the city. They pointed out that it was common everywhere in all cities and they just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ireland should implement the same strategy as the UK. When these accession states got accepted into the EU it was a free for all for criminal gangs, etc to jump on board the gravy train.

Truth about the Romanian beggars of Park Lane

This is also worth watching as well. Ross Kemp on gangs from Bulgaria/Romania sent to the UK to pickpocket, etc. They can make up to £4k a day per person.

ROSS KEMP ON GANGS Bulgaria PART 1 of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

That's one thing that I noticed when I moved out of Waterford a couple of years ago when I was made redundant. The gypos begging in the city centre. I live in Galway City now and I can honestly say that I've never seen one since I've lived here. When I visit Waterford, sure enough, there they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Romanians begging, dogs barking !! It's what they do.

Roma Gypsies, not Romanians per se. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford isn't that bad compared with other cities. Begging will occur anywhere a large gathering of people will take place which is why Waterford has them. Just like Cork, Dublin, Limerick and so on. I don't see much begging outside shop doors or ATMs in Waterford. There usually near Argos at the steps or at the back of City Square.

The chap in the leather jacket has been around a long time, family of them and they are living nearby. They all sell balloons, do the hair etc. which I assume the Gardai don't move on because they don't all beg.

Radio 1 covered this before in Dublin which has far worse begging and the tourists they interviewed didn't see it as a major problem or enough to turn them away from the city. They pointed out that it was common everywhere in all cities and they just get on with it.

This. Its ridiculous in Dublin. The last time I was there I noticed practically everytime I stopped walking, someone came up to me with a sob story asking for money, its a very uneasy feeling.

More comparable to Dublin than Waterford, but I found both Barcelona and Milan to be awful for beggars, pickpockets and people pushing for you to buy junk. We're not too bad compared to the bigger cities, but relative to Cork, Galway and Limerick we're not too bad for alcos/junkies, but we've got our fair share of gypsies. And it seems to be the same group all the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just in relation to the Gardai, they know about the problem, but it's time and numbers that's causing the issue. I know 2 Gardai were sent on the beat today for a couple of hours to target the Romas, but had to go to a number of unrelated calls around the city centre instead. It's a numbers game, and at the moment the Romas have the advantage...

Just in relation to the Gardai, they know about the problem, but it's time and numbers that's causing the issue. I know 2 Gardai were sent on the beat today for a couple of hours to target the Romas, but had to go to a number of unrelated calls around the city centre instead. It's a numbers game, and at the moment the Romas have the advantage...

JESUS ,,its always a numbers game , we can't deal with break ins we don't have the numbers,,,, We can't deal with fights on the streets on the weekend ,we don't have the numbers,,,, We can't deal with anti-social issues on the estates ,we don't have the numbers ...ETC ETC ETC
    I wish to god they stop wheeling out this excuse for everything and just get the f**k on with it ,Here is an idea use the numbers you have to crack down on one issue at a time ,week after week pick an issue and attack it ,,, instead of never tackling or dealing with any.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    JESUS ,,its always a numbers game , we can't deal with break ins we don't have the numbers,,,, We can't deal with fights on the streets on the weekend ,we don't have the numbers,,,, We can't deal with anti-social issues on the estates ,we don't have the numbers ...ETC ETC ETC
    I wish to god they stop wheeling out this excuse for everything and just get the f**k on with it ,Here is an idea use the numbers you have to crack down on one issue at a time ,week after week pick an issue and attack it ,,, instead of never tackling or dealing with any.

It isn't actually an excuse though, they're getting the brunt of it like most people in society, but everyone expects them to still be able to do their job properly with cuts left right and centre. Blame the government, not the Gardai, they do what they can and are allowed. There is more crime than ever now, and they can't be expected to be at fifty places at once unless the govt. backs them up with numbers and funds to do it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

....and ignorant people with blanket comment a whole nationality incorrectly because they don't know what they are talking about.

I suggest you research the difference between a Romanian and Roma Gypsie, your comment is pretty ignorant and insulting to Romanians.

Sully wrote: »

CORRECTION

I did mean to write Roma but I cant change the heading in the title thread maybe somebody can change it for me mods.

My second point is you cant compare a tiny town like waterford to Dublin Milan or Barcelona, these are huge european cities with vast revenue streams, one shop closes so what, Waterford is a tiny place and you cant really compare them, the sudden increase in roma gypsies is the topic I was raising and this sudden increase in a small town has a greater visusl effect and is more noticeable here imo. There isnt really sense in comparing like for like different rules different laws different sizes by millions.

• Advertisement

CuriousG wrote: »
    It isn't actually an excuse though, they're getting the brunt of it like most people in society, but everyone expects them to still be able to do their job properly with cuts left right and centre. Blame the government, not the Gardai, they do what they can and are allowed. There is more crime than ever now, and they can't be expected to be at fifty places at once unless the govt. backs them up with numbers and funds to do it!

This old chestnut ,Cuts left and right ,Then please explain to me why we have 13,366 Guards in 2013 compared to 13,424 in 2010 (a massive 58 less ). However the membership was only 11,640 in 2000 (before the recession and all these so called cuts ) That's 1726 more today ,These cuts we keep hearing about are mostly wages or collage courses in New York and not numbers , OK there has been the odd pension taken .But still the numbers blame game doesn't add up.
    As another poster has said Waterford is not a big place especially the city centre so why can't they crack down on this begging ,It would not take many uniforms on the street to tackle this ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement