Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lots of romaian gypsies begging in town lately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    This old chestnut ,Cuts left and right ,Then please explain to me why we have 13,366 Guards in 2013 compared to 13,424 in 2010 (a massive 58 less ). However the membership was only 11,640 in 2000 (before the recession and all these so called cuts ) That's 1726 more today ,These cuts we keep hearing about are mostly wages or collage courses in New York and not numbers , OK there has been the odd pension taken .But still the numbers blame game doesn't add up.
    As another poster has said Waterford is not a big place especially the city centre so why can't they crack down on this begging ,It would not take many uniforms on the street to tackle this ,

The odd pension taken? There are gardai that can't afford their houses/cars just like most normal people in this country! I'm sick of the attitude that you have to hate on the guards, if you were in their position you would only do what your superiors say you are ALLOWED to do. If there are drug raids/robberies/murders going on, that last thing on the agenda of Gardai will be walking down the street to move beggars that will cry racism if they so much as lay a hand on them.

There may not be much change in numbers, but there is a huge change in crime figures, which means the numbers that are there are stretched to cover absolutely anything they can and will.

Would love to see the people giving out about them doing a better job, it is more paperwork and superiors keeping them from their duty than anything, on orders from the govt. If you know better than people risking their lives for not much pay to keep the country as safe as possible, then be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CuriousG wrote: »
    The odd pension taken? There are gardai that can't afford their houses/cars just like most normal people in this country! I'm sick of the attitude that you have to hate on the guards, if you were in their position you would only do what your superiors say you are ALLOWED to do. If there are drug raids/robberies/murders going on, that last thing on the agenda of Gardai will be walking down the street to move beggars that will cry racism if they so much as lay a hand on them.

There may not be much change in numbers, but there is a huge change in crime figures, which means the numbers that are there are stretched to cover absolutely anything they can and will.

Would love to see the people giving out about them doing a better job, it is more paperwork and superiors keeping them from their duty than anything, on orders from the govt. If you know better than people risking their lives for not much pay to keep the country as safe as possible, then be my guest.

Drugs ,Robberies and murders where here long before the recession and will be here long after ,But if this thread was about them offences/ crimes ,the "what can they do they don't have the numbers "excuse would be rolled out for that debate too , As for not been able to afford the house , the car etc that just puts them in the same boat as 90% of the public . So maybe they should just get on with it like the rest of us.
    As for risking their lifes... come on its not LA or the like ,99.9% of them go to work day in day out without incident, In fact I say more nurses are injured daily than Guards.
    As for my attitude towards the force, maybe it has been effect by some of my experiences/dealings with them but that doesn't change the fact that we have more guards now that before the recession and still they can't seem to deal with a lot of the issues effecting Ireland/Waterford today, Yes maybe begging on the street might be a small issue but that doesn't change the fact that its effecting people going about their day to day lives within the city centre and it needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It isn't actually an excuse though, they're getting the brunt of it like most people in society, but everyone expects them to still be able to do their job properly with cuts left right and centre. Blame the government, not the Gardai, they do what they can and are allowed. There is more crime than ever now, and they can't be expected to be at fifty places at once unless the govt. backs them up with numbers and funds to do it!

Yet the Gardai always have time to stop and search young fellas, without even having anything to go on. The amount of times I and people in my age group have been stopped by Gardai for simply walking down the road is unreal. And they very rarely find anything so it's a complete waste of their time. And even if they did find something, it would only be a measly bit of hash or a few pills (which does not affect other people), and they then have to make the arrest and do the paperwork, and go to court over it. All so some young fella doing no harm to anyone is fined a few hundred euro in court and gets named in the local papers, and the Garda get another prosecution towards their quota.

It's time they got their priorities straight and learn to focus on issues that really matter if they are as short staffed as they claim.

Well, it is obvious this is turning into a juvenile 'hate the pigs' thread, so I'm out.

Anyone over the age of 16 with a brain would have some sense to realise not everything the gardai do is wrong. They don't make or control the laws, they don't get to do what they want, they are on orders from their superiors and there is always maybe two or three levels of management to go through before getting the approval to carry out certain tasks. Do you suggest they should risk THEIR family wellbeing and THEIR livelihood just to make the people of Ireland happy? Yes, you are right, they ARE in the same boat as everyone else, so hating on them is imbecilic. Everyone else in this country doesn't 'get on with it', au contraire, we take every single opportunity or moment we can to complain about anything and everything. The gardai don't have that right, they are risking their job if they speak out.

There was always crime, it is the INCREASE in crime that matters.

But sure I suppose it is easier to bash the easy targets in society who went in for a career and are now being screwed over by the govt. People will give out about the govt. when it suits, but just because you got stopped once you have a lifelong hatred for gardai. How immature..

You do not get stopped for no reason, of the many, many young people or 'lads' I know, none of them have ever been stopped. Then again, none of them commit crime, so what's to worry about even if you are stopped? Why have that chip on your shoulder..

Your personal opinions on drugs doesn't change the law, so are they meant to pander to what you think or do their job?

The fact you think they don't risk their lives is a joke, you obviously haven't been keeping up with news regarding crime, and I must be wrong in thinking an innocent man got shot only a few months ago. My bad for being mature enough to realise they are normal people looking for a career.

If you don't want crap from the guards, don't be and/or portray yourself as a criminal. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Feared Fightwear

Romanians begging, dogs barking !! It's what they do.

So youre saying leave them off, sure thats what they do???

So if a paedophile is off riding children you say 'sure paedophiles riding children, dogs barking, its what they do'

No, they must be stopped

You clown, its your type of mentality that lets the like of Roma (not Romanians), junkies, etc harass decent people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

So youre saying leave them off, sure thats what they do???

So if a paedophile is off riding children you say 'sure paedophiles riding children, dogs barking, its what they do'

No, they must be stopped

You clown, its your type of mentality that lets the like of Roma (not Romanians), junkies, etc harass decent people

Where did he say 'leave them off'? Completely unnecessary reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was in the city centre earlier and the gardai had their notebook out taking down details of 3 Roma females near Penneys and the Roma were gone when I passed back through John Robert Square a short while later.

Well, it is obvious this is turning into a juvenile 'hate the pigs' thread, so I'm out.

First of all this is insulting and the juvenile act and secondly just because someone questions how at public body is performing and doubts their excuses doesn't make it a bad thing,

Anyone over the age of 16 with a brain would have some sense to realise not everything the gardai do is wrong.
    Never say everything was wrong I just am not accepting the excuses about numbers..
    They don't make or control the laws,
    but they could be more pro-active enforcing the laws we do have..
    they don't get to do what they want, they are on orders from their superiors and there is always maybe two or three levels of management to go through before getting the approval to carry out certain tasks.
    OK I agree with this...

Do you suggest they should risk THEIR family wellbeing and THEIR livelihood just to make the people of Ireland happy? Not happy but safe...they knew the job before they signed up
    Yes, you are right, they ARE in the same boat as everyone else, so hating on them is imbecilic. Everyone else in this country doesn't 'get on with it', au contraire, we take every single opportunity or moment we can to complain about anything and everything. The gardai don't have that right, they are risking their job if they speak out.
    [B] (hmm for a group that not suppose to express views we sure heard a hell of a lot over the last few months on the national media)

There was always crime, it is the INCREASE in crime that matters.
    Not according to their own figures which they want us to believe crime is on the decrease

But sure I suppose it is easier to bash the easy targets in society who went in for a career and are now being screwed over by the govt. People will give out about the govt. when it suits, but just because you got stopped once you have a lifelong hatred for gardai. How immature..
    Think you didn't realise you are talking to 2 different posters...

You do not get stopped for no reason, of the many, many young people or 'lads' I know, none of them have ever been stopped. Then again, none of them commit crime, so what's to worry about even if you are stopped? Why have that chip on your shoulder..

Your personal opinions on drugs doesn't change the law, so are they meant to pander to what you think or do their job?
    Again 2 different posters..

The fact you think they don't risk their lives is a joke, you obviously haven't been keeping up with news regarding crime, and I must be wrong in thinking an innocent man got shot only a few months ago. My bad for being mature enough to realise they are normal people looking for a career.
    Yes its a risky job and some horrible incidents are face by members but don't make it out to be Beirut out there.

If you don't want crap from the guards, don't be and/or portray yourself as a criminal. Simple.
    This has me confused .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

deisemum wrote: »
    I was in the city centre earlier and the gardai had their notebook out taking down details of 3 Roma females near Penneys and the Roma were gone when I passed back through John Robert Square a short while later.

I'm sure they'll be back tommorrow morning at the latest.

I would give all credit to the gardai, I belive they do everything they can to get rid of them. I think they don't like these things happening in the city any more than people posting here.

We all agree they're bad for this city and if something isn't done they'll be spreading all over the city. They're already begging at all possible masses Sunday morning. The next thing you'll know is someone robbing your car while you stop at the traffic lights somewhere on the quay. In my opinion the most powerfull people of this city should sit down with the city council and make simple rules (create a written law) stating (for example) that if someone is caught pick-pocketing they'll be sent to their home country or something like that. One thing is a pour beggar living on the edge begging for couple of your cents, other thing is an organised crime such as this one.
    They'll be spreading all over and they'll be feeling more and more powerfull and they'll be more and more rude if an appropriate example of an action doesn't take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

They do the prostitution also to pay for the mouth full of gold nashers

• Advertisement

John Halligan was on the front of the Waterford Today this morning 'Halligan to meet Taoiseach on local retail crisis'
    I rang John Halligan and left 3 voicemails today, rang his office twice and he hasnt got back to me.
    Look lads, the 'powers that be' dont care, as long as they are pretending to be helping then fools will be satisfied

Go up and talk to the Taoiseach about the problems facing Waterford City retailers but dont bother talking to the retailers??
    Not just blaming Halligan, none of them care.

Btw DeiseMum, plenty Roma beggars still outrside Penneys now at 4:25pm

John Halligan was on the front of the Waterford Today this morning 'Halligan to meet Taoiseach on local retail crisis'
    I rang John Halligan and left 3 voicemails today, rang his office twice and he hasnt got back to me.
    Look lads, the 'powers that be' dont care, as long as they are pretending to be helping then fools will be satisfied

Go up and talk to the Taoiseach about the problems facing Waterford City retailers but dont bother talking to the retailers??
    Not just blaming Halligan, none of them care.

Btw DeiseMum, plenty Roma beggars still outrside Penneys now at 4:25pm

I walked past city square this morning at 9 (the back) and seen a gang of eight, all going to various locations around the city. Good to hear some where moved on, but they will always come back.

I was posting an opinion part of which was directed at your post, part of which wasn't. I didn't know there was a one user minimum to my replies.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Begging is a criminal offence so expecting Gardai to do their job is hardly a big ask; nobody is perfect but their is alot of begging ?? The Gardai in Waterford are not really that bogged down with work from what I have been told!

I don't hate Gardai and don't see why anyone is bringing their pay into this but as they have, the pay is quite good and I think most people would be happy to have a Garda wage.

The Gardai pay scale is available for anyone to see, here's the link http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

The recruitment embargo was in place in 2009 so all serving garda have at least 5 years service. The lowest ranking gardai are still earning at least Euro 42609.00 and this doesn't include allowances, think most people could live happpily on this. I suppose alot of us took out loans we couldn't ever afford so perhaps there are Gardai struggling too.

It isnt a hate Garda thread but if individuals are doing something illegal day in-day out and not being stopped or punished then who do civilians call?
    Anyone who answers 'ghostbusters' is gay btw

I never said Gardai shouldn't do their job, on the contrary, I said they ARE doing their job, but they cannot do everything they should be doing, which is not a fault of the individual Gardai. They are spread too thin, was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

They are gathering and practicing before Harvest Festival. That's why!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems like CuriousG is the only one actually thinking things through here.

@ROCKMAN: The numbers are drastically down. There has been no recruitment since 2009, and a couple of thousand members have retired/resigned. What those figures you quote don't show is that they are factoring in Reserve Gardai, of which there has been quite a recruitment of, but they are not full-time Gardai and as such cannot do anything. They have some powers or arrest, etc, but it's the full time members they are with who end up doing the afterwork.

Arresting a begger is not as simple as it seems. There are a strict set of laws which the Gardai can only act upon. And, once they can act, it's not a case of bringing them up to the station. They may need to be interviewed, processed, charged or bailed, summons, court appearance. It all takes time, massive time. Add that on top of all the other crimes which are happening. A simple assault can take a huge chunk of time, depending on witnesses and the availability of CCTV. Serious assaults take longer. And assaults are common. Constant public order incidents too. Plus burglaries, robberies, criminal damage.

Then, you have all the background work for that. Files, statements, witnesses and injured parties who are impossible to get in contact with/get statements off of. Suspects need to be arrested, interviewed, charged, etc. Gardai also have a near constant stream of traffic accidents, each of which take a minimum of half an hour for the most straight forward ones.

Fires, there's nearly a fire every day somewhere in the city/surrounds. Then you have operations which require most working members to do on, such as drug searches. More paper, answering requests from the public about an incident, insurance companies, solicitors, other station requests, internal questions and audits, meetings. God forbid if something relatively major happens, and everyone gets drafted in if something major happens.

@Psychedalic: The amount of complaints that come in about "youths causing hassle" is the cause of these stop and searches. The youth of today dress very similar, and when a complaint comes in of someone in certain clothing was doing something, then naturally the Gardai will stop the next person who matches the description. Sometimes the description is "a gang of 6 o 7". Not much to go on.

And they are short staffed. But people seem to forget that, for now at least, the number of Gardai it takes for the day to day internal running of a station. Chief, Super, Inspectors, Office Sergeants and Gardai, courts officers, summons/warrants Gardai, firearms Gardai, communications Gardai, the public office, the member in charge. They are working towards making most of these positions civillianised, but it will take time.

Finally, again @ROCKMAN: the GRA are expressing the views of their members, the members themselves cannot in an official capacity express their views. And i wouldn't go on the figures the Government use, they're not exactly the most dependable people for information at the moment.

@ROCKMAN: The numbers are drastically down. There has been no recruitment since 2009, and a couple of thousand members have retired/resigned. What those figures you quote don't show is that they are factoring in Reserve Gardai, of which there has been quite a recruitment of, but they are not full-time Gardai and as such cannot do anything. They have some powers or arrest, etc, but it's the full time members they are with who end up doing the afterwork.

Arresting a begger is not as simple as it seems. There are a strict set of laws which the Gardai can only act upon. And, once they can act, it's not a case of bringing them up to the station. They may need to be interviewed, processed, charged or bailed, summons, court appearance. It all takes time, massive time. Add that on top of all the other crimes which are happening. A simple assault can take a huge chunk of time, depending on witnesses and the availability of CCTV. Serious assaults take longer. And assaults are common. Constant public order incidents too. Plus burglaries, robberies, criminal damage.

Then, you have all the background work for that. Files, statements, witnesses and injured parties who are impossible to get in contact with/get statements off of. Suspects need to be arrested, interviewed, charged, etc. Gardai also have a near constant stream of traffic accidents, each of which take a minimum of half an hour for the most straight forward ones.

Fires, there's nearly a fire every day somewhere in the city/surrounds. Then you have operations which require most working members to do on, such as drug searches. More paper, answering requests from the public about an incident, insurance companies, solicitors, other station requests, internal questions and audits, meetings. God forbid if something relatively major happens, and everyone gets drafted in if something major happens.

@Psychedalic: The amount of complaints that come in about "youths causing hassle" is the cause of these stop and searches. The youth of today dress very similar, and when a complaint comes in of someone in certain clothing was doing something, then naturally the Gardai will stop the next person who matches the description. Sometimes the description is "a gang of 6 o 7". Not much to go on.

And they are short staffed. But people seem to forget that, for now at least, the number of Gardai it takes for the day to day internal running of a station. Chief, Super, Inspectors, Office Sergeants and Gardai, courts officers, summons/warrants Gardai, firearms Gardai, communications Gardai, the public office, the member in charge. They are working towards making most of these positions civillianised, but it will take time.

Finally, again @ROCKMAN: the GRA are expressing the views of their members, the members themselves cannot in an official capacity express their views. And i wouldn't go on the figures the Government use, they're not exactly the most dependable people for information at the moment.

GOOD POST,
    however the figures I have given DO NOT INCLUDE Reserves ,,According to the 2013 Annual report there are 13,424 members (a lot more than in 2000 even taking into account early retirement etc), and 991 reserves, There is also over 2500 civilian staff which surely could and do help with files ,paperwork etc ok I understand that by law these civilians cannot do everything paper wise ,

As for the GRA they are making the rank and file view known even if its not officially any one individual's view...

I'm not taking the goverments figures as fact was just using it as counter /to rebuff a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

This old chestnut ,Cuts left and right ,Then please explain to me why we have 13,366 Guards in 2013 compared to 13,424 in 2010 (a massive 58 less ). However the membership was only 11,640 in 2000 (before the recession and all these so called cuts ) That's 1726 more today ,These cuts we keep hearing about are mostly wages or collage courses in New York and not numbers , OK there has been the odd pension taken .But still the numbers blame game doesn't add up.
    As another poster has said Waterford is not a big place especially the city centre so why can't they crack down on this begging ,It would not take many uniforms on the street to tackle this ,

You seem to be forgetting that the population rose by almost 20% in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The GRA are in all but name a union so there job is to put forward the worst set of circumstances relating to Garda conditions. Not that great a source

Civilians are not slow learners and the learning curve is very short. I dont know exactly what the implication is but I would guess the CPSU take would be that things would run alot more smoothly and quickly if there were more civilians and less Gardai cluttering up the offices - they are definitely the most dependable people for getting information at the moment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

House down the back of Templars Hall with about 30 of them living in it.

Ireland is well known worldwide as an easy place to mooch welfare and rob whatever you want with little consequences.

The place is absolutely infested. Rotting from the inside out. Ireland 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

GOOD POST,
    however the figures I have given DO NOT INCLUDE Reserves ,,According to the 2013 Annual report there are 13,424 members (a lot more than in 2000 even taking into account early retirement etc), and 991 reserves, There is also over 2500 civilian staff which surely could and do help with files ,paperwork etc ok I understand that by law these civilians cannot do everything paper wise ,

Which annual report is this? Wouldn't mind a read of it. I know that the figure was around 14,400 circa 09, and i'm having a hard time believing that less than 1000 are gone since.

And yes, there is a lot of civillian staff who are already doing multiple jobs within AGS, and they have a proper union which will prevent the civilianisation happening quicker. Some of them already help with the typing, but that's it. The files have to be done by the member.
    As for the GRA they are making the rank and file view known even if its not officially any one individual's view...

They are making some views known, but there are a lot of views which even they cannot make known, and they have to be careful about what they do so also as they are members too, and still tied to the same laws, acts and codes as the people they represent. Add not having union status and they're between a rock and a hard place.
    I'm not taking the goverments figures as fact was just using it as counter /to rebuff a point.

Fair enough.
    The GRA are in all but name a union so there job is to put forward the worst set of circumstances relating to Garda conditions. Not that great a source

As above, they are all but a union, but not being one restricts them severely. You'd be surprised by how little of what they say gets noticed, let alone acted upon. They put the issues and concerns forward, but if it falls on deaf ears, there is nothing more that can be done, unless the issue they wish to address contravenes some law/act, ie: the Working Time Directive.
    Civilians are not slow learners and the learning curve is very short. I dont know exactly what the implication is but I would guess the CPSU take would be that things would run alot more smoothly and quickly if there were more civilians and less Gardai cluttering up the offices - they are definitely the most dependable people for getting information at the moment :rolleyes:

And i agree that more civilians would free up more members, and maybe the job would be done quicker. But the problem would be that, at the end of the day in a Garda related matter, you need a Garda to do it. Plus, there would be a lot of very sensitive information going through the Gardai attached to the different offices, and while the Official Secrets Act would cover a lot of stuff, the problem arises when civilians are dealing with information relating to people they may know. I'm not saying that all civilians would use this information in any way, but there's less likelihood of a Garda using it due to the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Media999 wrote: »
    House down the back of Templars Hall with about 30 of them living in it.

Ireland is well known worldwide as an easy place to mooch welfare and rob whatever you want with little consequences.

The place is absolutely infested. Rotting from the inside out. Ireland 2013.

30 of them? Make that 60 since you wrote that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Iv had a fair few foreigners say to me that the Roma have given nothing but trouble in their own countries, We will have an influx of them next year when Romania / Bulgaria have free travel rights in the EU, I'v no problem with Romanians and Bulgarians coming here as most of them will be no different to ourselves but those Roma will cause nothing but trouble..And I reckon thousands of them will come here..

Romanians and Bulgarians have full access to the Irish labour (travel rights) market since January 2012..No visas or work permits required so wheres this big problem you are worried about???????

BTW I have lived in Bucharest and to reiterate, the Roma are WAY less tolerated in Romania than they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Romanians and Bulgarians have full access to the Irish labour (travel rights) market since January 2012..No visas or work permits required so wheres this big problem you are worried about???????

BTW I have lived in Bucharest and to reiterate, the Roma are WAY less tolerated in Romania than they are here.

What action do they take against them ?

Which annual report is this? Wouldn't mind a read of it. I know that the figure was around 14,400 circa 09, and i'm having a hard time believing that less than 1000 are gone since.

An Garda Siochana Annual Report 2012 (page 24 /25)
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Annual%20Report%202012.pdf

Creamsoda wrote: »
    You seem to be forgetting that the population rose by almost 20% in that time.

Good point, That I never considered if I'm honest .But wouldn't the majority of these new Irish be 13 years old or younger ,Yes I know we have had a massive influx of people into Ireland between 2000 and 2010 ,But wouldn't emigration since 09 go a hell of a long way to balance that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nypd wrote: »
    What action do they take against them ?

Police are quite heavy handed with them and move them on usually if (on rare occasion) they are causing a problem. Normally they stick to their own areas in large groups. If you see them in the city a lot of them "work" as lockhards, which is a real pain in the ass but the police tolerate this. City centre you generally will not see too many of them except for that.

Begging is pretty low level and they will only rob whats put on a silver platter for them, no such thing (so far) as violent crime from them to non gypsies.

People there generally think they are scum as they give Romanian people a bad name globally. So they tend to give them a wide berth from any association with them at all. ie you start talking to them your local friends will assume you have gone mad :P

Generally ignoring them in Romania is the rule followed by most. And I mean completely ignore them.

They are a very strange people the gypsies, as a rule they do not work indoors and usually they have a LOT of money from whatever they do, collecting scrap metal and bits and bobs.

But from personal experience I have found that they do get away with more here in Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Based on my own experience of having stayed in Bucharest when playing festivals in Romania a few times I'd go along with that. On a day to day basis it's pretty much the same as here. I think modern Romanians perceive Roma to be an embarrassment and as much a nuisance in public as we see them. I've interacted with hundreds of Romanians (mostly in Transylvania) and found them to be fine folks. But I must confess that when it comes to Roma my tolerance is very low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement