Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tools online or off ?

• 26-08-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So recently I moved out of my parents and now am starting the long trek to a shed full of usefull tools and what not.

First off Im looking to get things like a grunge brush, new can of chain lube and a few spanners (10/17/22/23). Just wondering if people prefer buying online or is it actually cheaper to pick em up in a shop ? IF so wheres your best bet ? Been into Halfords a few times but I feel like im being ripped off when it comes to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7001868/Trail/searchtext%3ESOCKET.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7004243/Trail/searchtext%3ESPANNER.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7004250/Trail/searchtext%3ESPANNER.htm

100 quid in total and will do for pretty much anything on the bike. I have all three, never going to light a workshop on fire but they are pretty bang on for 99% of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Try the tools shops on Capel street in Dublin, avoid Halfords prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Halfords can do some super deals....but you will get great bargains in motor factors etc. The only thing I would not skimp on is a good torque wrench. I got all my tools in Halfords in the sale and they are perfect, one of the lads on here got me a few tools as he is in the trade too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lidl/aldi when the opportunity arises.

Also about 3* 8 & 10 spanners. Mine always go missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Probably drop in and pick up that spanner set on the way to work cheers.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Halfords can do some super deals....but you will get great bargains in motor factors etc. The only thing I would not skimp on is a good torque wrench. I got all my tools in Halfords in the sale and they are perfect, one of the lads on here got me a few tools as he is in the trade too.

All the work on my bike Ive done with my dad. Everytime it came to tighten a nut he never picked up a torque wrench. I assume hes just used to how tight it needs to be considering hes been riding bikes for about 30 years.

Are they really that necessary ?

Also any idea where Id find a grunge brush ? was considering dropping into city spares as I need to get some chain lube too.

• Advertisement

Might pop into them on the way to work and pick up that spanner set. Seems like it would be fairly handy. Will have to wait on the likes of the rachet set and the torque wrench though.
    Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    All the work on my bike Ive done with my dad. Everytime it came to tighten a nut he never picked up a torque wrench. I assume hes just used to how tight it needs to be considering hes been riding bikes for about 30 years.

Are they really that necessary ?

Its nice to torque things like sprockets and wheel nuts. Lets you know your not going to strip the threads but the thing isn't going to come off either.

If you have 30 yrs of experience then happy days you prolly wont need it.....for me a newcomer to bike mechanics I learn of people around me. I like to know that things are right. Not the little things but as was said by the OP locking nuts and wheels nuts, caliper bolts etc. Riding a motorbike is all about confidence, and knowing that everything is tip top lets you concentrate on the little things like staying alive. Like that super feeling after a complete service....knowing the bike is 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Some of the best tools I'v bought in the last few years have been from Halfords.. They also come with a life time warrenty and get great reviews on various forum.

I'd pick up a Haynes Manual as well, they are really worth it.

And as said above, keep a eye on Aldi/Lidl. They have have decent wrench sets and a smaller 1/4 drive torque wrench for smaller bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

kaimera wrote: »
    lidl/aldi when the opportunity arises.

having multiples is good too, for if you need to tighten the same size nuts against one another. Clutch/throttle cable adjusters etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

kaimera wrote: »
    Depending on your bike, there are a few sizes — 8, 10, 13, 14, 17 — that you'll use a lot more than others. It's well worth buying really good quality for these, and relying on a cheap 'n' cheerful set for all the in-betweens (when was the last time you actually used a 9mm, 15mm or 22mm...?). You can pick them up singly on eBay and the like.

I keep a pocket multitool, a couple of spanners and a 6mm allen key in the pockets of both my jackets; to change so much as a blown fuse on my CB-1 you need hardware to remove the side casings... (and yes, I carry spare fuses too! ;))

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you have 30 yrs of experience then happy days you prolly wont need it.....for me a newcomer to bike mechanics I learn of people around me. I like to know that things are right. Not the little things but as was said by the OP locking nuts and wheels nuts, caliper bolts etc. Riding a motorbike is all about confidence, and knowing that everything is tip top lets you concentrate on the little things like staying alive. Like that super feeling after a complete service....knowing the bike is 100%.

Yeh Im pretty new to it as well so Ill probably pick one up some time soon. Just at the moment I dont have cash and my dads eye will do. But cheers for the heads up.

Picked one up when I first bought the bike. Needed a bit of work done to it (Rear Break, Carb, Cables) so I bought one. Didnt think it would be as good as it actually is. Everything you need to know about the bike and maintenance within two covers.
    peckerhead wrote: »
    Depending on your bike, there are a few sizes — 8, 10, 13, 14, 17 — that you'll use a lot more than others. It's well worth buying really good quality for these, and relying on a cheap 'n' cheerful set for all the in-betweens.

Yeh Ive heard the difference in spanner quality can be huge sometimes. Not so much appearance just what kinda forces they can take. I think ill stick to the set from Argos though until I have a bit more bank to pick up good quality ones in the sizes you recommended. What would be a top of the range spanner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And as said above, keep a eye on Aldi/Lidl. They have have decent wrench sets and a smaller 1/4 drive torque wrench for smaller bolts.
    I got a haynes manual for the bike, bloody hell, the detail is unreal. Pretty much tells you how to strip the bike into individual pieces and put it back together again!

I need a socket set, Lidl had one that looked impressive and I'm sorry I didn't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cienciano wrote: »
    I got a haynes manual for the bike, bloody hell, the detail is unreal. Pretty much tells you how to strip the bike into individual pieces and put it back together again!

I need a socket set, Lidl had one that looked impressive and I'm sorry I didn't buy it.

They could still have it in the while stocks last pile.

I picked up the socket and spanner sets mentioned in the second post, actually quite good quality, a good feel to them and no slip. Thanks for the heads up Cuddlesworth, great price. It comes with 2 spark plug sockets too, which is about as handy as you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Avoid cheap tools - they'll only break your heart and make the smallest of jobs into a nightmare!
    Halfords do great deals from time to time especially in their professional range! All my socket sets are from them and are in constant use -my small socket set is 15yrs old with very little wear!
    Britool spanners are the dogs nuts in my opinion - also had those bad boys for over 10yrs and are in constant heavy use.
    When buying spanners buy two of everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Definitely get your hands on a half-decent socket set - Draper, Tala and few more do quite good sets and they're not that expensive. B&Q carry a range of "Torq" brand stuff, including torque wrenches and the quality is not bad at all, and all at a good price. Regarding spanners, make sure you get combination ring/open-jaw.

I picked up the socket and spanner sets mentioned in the second post, actually quite good quality, a good feel to them and no slip. Thanks for the heads up Cuddlesworth, great price. It comes with 2 spark plug sockets too, which is about as handy as you get.

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with the Challenge Extreme Stuff over the years working on sites with cheap bosses and I was really impressed with that socket set at that cost. I actually have a smaller 1/2 drive Halfords Pro set, but it lacked a decent range of sockets and I was in a pinch one day dealing with a 27mil nut. The Extreme set seems of comparable build quality and will cover pretty much everything.

That Torque wrench is really good for 80-200nm bolts and better value then anything I could find on Amazon(includes the B&Q Torq).

I'm keeping my eye out for the smaller torque wrench from Lidl/Aldi. And a breaker bar. Then I'm pretty much done.
    Steve.N wrote: »
    Avoid cheap tools - they'll only break your heart and make the smallest of jobs into a nightmare!

If you doing DIY and take them out 3-4 times a year, no point in spending serious money when there are decent sets around for a song.

This is not a bad starting point I tells ya....the chest alone will cost ya €60 De Niros!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7004360/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/Trail/searchtext%3ETOOL.htm

• Advertisement

Have anyone ever bought Bahco stuff? Supposed to be the european version of snap-on.
    Nice set here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y8V8TK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1K438G3BCYC01Y9JEEB0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418444067&pf_rd_i=468294

Lots of other sets on amazon, socket only, small and big. It's something you have pretty much forever is you buy half decent, so wouldn't mind investing an extra couple of quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have anyone ever bought Bahco stuff? Supposed to be the european version of snap-on...

Yup:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85147803&postcount=7

jimgoose wrote: »
    Cool, think I might invest in them. Savage reviews too. Small one won't break the bank, can get that first to see what it's like.

You can be lucky with "cheap" tools. have a set of chinese spanners in the folks gaff since the 70s and they're still in good nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Annoying when you see a good deal on a socket or spanner set, then realise that half of them are imperial and you'll never use them.

Scrap the cap!

Another reason to not buy a harley. What a poxy system. The 5/8 is to small, pass me the 11/16

Another reason to not buy a harley. What a poxy system. The 5/8 is to small, pass me the 11/16

Try working with Americans, having to draw two sets of diagrams and spend half your time converting measurements is infuriating.

Advertisement