Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenagers causing hassel in my estate

• 26-08-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently confront three young teenagers whom were messing in my estate,they are from a council estate behind ours. And was told by the ring leader that I could not touch him or he would sue me. Now the ring leader has started to sit on my neighbours wall at front of my house watching my property, what rights do I have.

I've thought about trying to find out where he lives and speak to his parents or discuss the matter with the guards but not sure what they can do either

Any help/ advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

Harassment.

10.—(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person harasses another where—

(a) he or she, by his or her acts intentionally or recklessly, seriously interferes with the other's peace and privacy or causes alarm, distress or harm to the other, and

(b) his or her acts are such that a reasonable person would realise that the acts would seriously interfere with the other's peace and privacy or cause alarm, distress or harm to the other.

(3) Where a person is guilty of an offence under subsection (1), the court may, in addition to or as an alternative to any other penalty, order that the person shall not, for such period as the court may specify, communicate by any means with the other person or that the person shall not approach within such distance as the court shall specify of the place of residence or employment of the other person.

(4) A person who fails to comply with the terms of an order under subsection (3) shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) If on the evidence the court is not satisfied that the person should be convicted of an offence under subsection (1), the court may nevertheless make an order under subsection (3) upon an application to it in that behalf if, having regard to the evidence, the court is satisfied that it is in the interests of justice so to do.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When I was young you got a kick in the ar$e and told to f@&* off away or you'd get the dog set on you. If you went to the gaurds they gave a kicking too and told you you deserved what you got ! Call the lads bluff - anyone asks, he went for you first - self defence. It's all the PC bull that has us living in fear of these scumbags.

Had personal experience of these types a couple of years ago - they thrashed my house causing thousands in damage to windows and doors - they won't dare come back I can promise you. Gaurds didn't want to know, they knew they couldn't touch them and the courts will just mollycoddle them and get them therapists and social services to look after them, what did I get to cover the damage they caused ? SFA.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Call the Garda Station and ask for the Community Guard who covers your area. They should be able to deal with a couple of teenagers......

Or give them an ASBO. This will only become harassment after you have called the Guards!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

What does your neighbour do about the kids sitting on his/ her wall?

Realistically I do not think legal channels are the first port of call here. It might *technically* amount to harassment [wouldn't swear to that though], but it is unlikely that the police are going to arrest the youths and bring things all the way through to a prosecution for harassment.

If you can find out who the youths' parents are, it might be advisable to bring the problem up with them. If they rebuff you (and that is possible), you might try and find out if there is a community guard (referred to below). On a practical level I would advise (as long as there is no risk to you) trying to solve the problem locally first. If you don't, you run the risk of being told to go back and try and handle the situation informally by the guards, bringing you back to square one.

ASBOs can only be given to kids 12-17 and aren't very common. In this case I think it is unlikely.

Do not on any account hit the youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I recently confront three young teenagers whom were messing in my estate...

there are laws against messing now????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

Valetta wrote: »
    I recently confront three young teenagers whom were messing in my estate...

there are laws against messing now????

Yeah, YOU, would be the type of parent that would not be worthwhile approaching to sort out any form of conflict. God help your kids , should you ever have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

mountai wrote: »
    Yeah, YOU, would be the type of parent that would not be worthwhile approaching to sort out any form of conflict. God help your kids , should you ever have any.

From what I have read it was the OP that created the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MAVERICK2012

Valetta wrote: »
    From what I have read it was the OP that created the conflict.

I didn't cause any conflict, i have kids of my own and i don't let them run wild amuck wrecking other peoples properties.

MiseryMary wrote: »
    He will sue you if you touch him Really!!! Just curious does he know you personally name,where you live etc? if don't, how can he sue a person if he doesn't know who to sue .:confused:

For the record im not interested in beating the kid up nor did I threathen to either I simply asked that they stop messing in front of my property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

For the record im not interested in beating the kid up nor did I threathen to either I simply asked that they stop messing in front of my property.

I'm not saying to beat the kid up but i'm making a point about what he said about I'm going to sue you if you touch me remark and how can he sue a person if he doesn't know the person. unless he knows your name,address etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jack Weasel.

What was the "messing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

I'm not saying to beat the kid up but i'm making a point about what he said about I'm going to sue you if you touch me remark and how can he sue a person if he doesn't know the person. unless he knows your name,address etc

read the op and you will see he knows the house

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I had a problem with kids sitting on my wall keeping the young lad up all night and dumping rubbish in the garden, talking to them didn't work so I spread grease along the top of the wall one day and soon after that they stopped sitting on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Firstly it's incredibly easy to get someone's personal details, not to mention if assaulted by the OP the child could report it to th guards. Secondly the OP has pointed out on more than one occasion the offending individual is outside of the OP's property.

fergal.b wrote: »
    I had a problem with kids sitting on my wall keeping the young lad up all night and dumping rubbish in the garden, talking to them didn't work so I spread grease along the top of the wall one day and soon after that they stopped sitting on it :D

Did the same myself, but mixed in a bit of Dog Sh1t as well . Worked wonders!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

mountai wrote: »
    Did the same myself, but mixed in a bit of Dog Sh1t as well . Worked wonders!!!

did the smell not put you off

Id say he was in trouble before, but have to admit took me by surprise when he said it to me. He didn't know my name not that I have anything to hide and as for suing me good luck to him as they say you can't take blood from a stone

What was the "messing"?
    They were pulling out of tree in front of my house and broke support upright post

They were pulling out of tree in front of my house and broke support upright post

Is that all???!!!. Dont you know that they come from deprived backgrounds. They should be allowed to wreck all in front of them and then graduate to drug abuse, not bother getting jobs etc. I demand that more tax is taken from me so that they can bumble along at the bottom of the sewer and keep the do gooders in work. A kick up the arse , never did me any harm, when I acted like a little scrote.!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

You need to put a PI on their case. Do a bit of digging.
    Everyone has skeletons in the cupboard. And your short
    some leverage at the moment. Especially the Ringleader. You need
    to take him out of the game.

Advertisement