Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop power issue

Options
  • 26-08-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the power connectivity on my HP Pavilion DV2000. The adapter seems to be ok but when I plug it into my laptop, the power light flickers and I have to twiddle the connecter in order to get power to my laptop. Most of the time , the cable stays put and the laptop stays on but some days, like today, the power will just not stay on regardless of how I hold the cable in place. The hole that connects the adaptor to the laptop seems to be a little loose. Could this be the problem? Does it sound fixable?

I know that I definitely need a new battery as this one is dead but apart from eBay I can't find them locally - even from HP. Because of this, I need to power my laptop with an adaptor until I can get a battery.

If possible I'd like to keep this laptop as opposed to getting a new on.

Any suggestions? Any good repairs people in Meath or West Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the power connectivity on my HP Pavilion DV2000. The adapter seems to be ok but when I plug it into my laptop, the power light flickers and I have to twiddle the connecter in order to get power to my laptop. Most of the time , the cable stays put and the laptop stays on but some days, like today, the power will just not stay on regardless of how I hold the cable in place. The hole that connects the adaptor to the laptop seems to be a little loose. Could this be the problem? Does it sound fixable?

I know that I definitely need a new battery as this one is dead but apart from eBay I can't find them locally - even from HP. Because of this, I need to power my laptop with an adaptor until I can get a battery.

If possible I'd like to keep this laptop as opposed to getting a new on.

Any suggestions? Any good repairs people in Meath or West Dublin?

Thanks

the power jack on the laptop's motherboard may need to be resoldered

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Some jacks are not soldered to the board and are more easily replaceable. The one for your machine doesn't look like it is soldered so something like this might solve the issue. Just test the jack first. You can use a multimeter if you have one,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

the power jack on the laptop's motherboard may need to be resoldered

Agreed.

[edit]or maybe not. Either way the labour of stripping it applies

The labour of stripping a laptop down to get the motherboard will prob be quite expensive if you go to a shop. This age of HP laptop is also prone to poor design in the fan/heat dept, and have been notorious for the graphics chip failing as a result. You won't find many working ones for sale...

So, IMHO, it would be foolish to fix the DC jack and buy a battery. If you have have data you need to retrieve from it, that's not a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

€70 and job is done

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Thanks for the advice :) turns out the adaptor cable was loose. I got a new adaptor - all's working!

• Advertisement
Advertisement