Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Cert in Statistics (TCD)

Options
  • 26-08-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I am about to apply for the Statistics Postgrad Cert in TCD, but before I do I was wondering has anybody on here ever completed the course, and if so could you tell me what you thought of it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

I did this course a few years ago to supplement my PhD training and It was worth its weight in gold. Assuming the same guys are running the course it was great.

That said, how much you get out of it probably depends on a) your existing understanding/level of stats knowledge and b) what you intend to use it for.

I was always comfortable with maths generally but had little stats, so for me the course was great because they start at the very beginning and offer really clear examples of the core concepts. Also I knew I'd be using what I'd learned as part of my research so, it was well worth it.

If you've already got a decent level of stats it maybe less useful however as they don't go into detail with things like structural equations, or baysian stuff.
    It's more about learning how to interpret p-values and confidence intervals correctly, basics of time series etc.

Advertisement