Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers free eye test

Options
  • 26-08-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I have a letter, addressed to me, from Specsavers Opticians ( my local branch) offering me a free eye test before the 2nd September,if I take in the voucher on the letter, so I duly booked and went in today for my appointment.

The girl checking my current glasses asked if I had a medical card, and |I replied yes I do. She then told me that I would not be able to have the free eye test, and I had to go via the medical card. I said that I did not want to, (you have to wait ages for the form to come through and get back to the opticians).

I was then told that I didn't HAVE to go via the medical card, I could go private, but then I would have to pay the €30 fee! No free eye test. Can this be??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dragona wrote: »
    I have a letter, addressed to me, from Specsavers Opticians ( my local branch) offering me a free eye test before the 2nd September,if I take in the voucher on the letter, so I duly booked and went in today for my appointment.

The girl checking my current glasses asked if I had a medical card, and |I replied yes I do. She then told me that I would not be able to have the free eye test, and I had to go via the medical card. I said that I did not want to, (you have to wait ages for the form to come through and get back to the opticians).

I was then told that I didn't HAVE to go via the medical card, I could go private, but then I would have to pay the €30 fee! No free eye test. Can this be??:confused:

Of course it can be, but you should have just said NO, I don't have a medical card, got your free eye test, asked for your prescription and went online and bought your glasses for 1/3 the price specsavers charge, bingo !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you sure you have it the right way round? They currently have an offer where you pay €30 for the eye test and get a pair of glasses from their €29 range for free.

http://www.specsavers.ie/offers/free-glasses-eye-test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure you have it the right way round? They currently have an offer where you pay €30 for the eye test and get a pair of glasses from their €29 range for free.

http://www.specsavers.ie/offers/free-glasses-eye-test

I know - I don't want their free glasses, two years ago I got varifocals which cost €500, so that was the figure I had in mind to spend again:( But they won't give me the free eye test! Even though I havae a voucher for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Go to a different branch but don't tell them you have a medical card. They do that because they can claim for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Go to a different branch but don't tell them you have a medical card. They do that because they can claim for the test.

Can't do that - the letter states clearly the branch it is valid for.:( I'm very annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's their offer so they can impose their own Terms & Conditions. However, I would be of the opinion that the T&Cs should be printed clearly so as to avoid this mistake from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Their loss. Go somewhere that will value your business and treat you and your €500 well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

OP if you are on Facebook watch out for thier free eye test coupons. You could get one and go to another branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe I'm being too cynical, but I would never get an eye test done by a company whose job it is to sell glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

maybe I'm being too cynical, but I would never get an eye test done by a company whose job it is to sell glasses.

Given that ALL opticians sell glasses, where do you get your eyes tested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Magenta wrote: »
    Given that ALL opticians sell glasses, where do you get your eyes tested?

Irish Times have an interesting article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Irish Times have an interesting article.

How does that article answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thats very poor customer service from Specsavers. You should write to them outlining the issue & address it to the manager. It might not solve your problem but it will put them thinking. Or better still drop it in to them, save the postage. Maybe they have an e-mail address.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I got a free eyetest in Tesco. I came back in with my medical card from 2 weeks later so I could get some money off a pair of glasses.
    When I was paying, the clerk clocked up an eyetest in on the till for €22. It seemed that he was claiming this on my medical from even tho it was free and happened 2 weeks before!

If I was paying 100% cash they would have given the eyetest for free. Seams like they are scamming the system there.

Advertisement