Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New super refusing renewals

Options
  • 26-08-2013 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

This is a hypothetical situation- but may soon enough be a real issue. I just want to be prepared.

The old super was a country man himself and wouldnt have any objections to given a lad a shotgun or 223.

The new super has a reputation for been a real hard-ass in another district. "A .223 is overkill, get a hornet"..... "so its a silencer you want? not on my watch your not".

When I put in my renewals can this new guy refuse me or give me hassle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

insignia33 wrote: »
    This is a hypothetical situation- but may soon enough be a real issue. I just want to be prepared.

The old super was a country man himself and wouldnt have any objections to given a lad a shotgun or 223.

The new super has a reputation for been a real hard-ass in another district. "A .223 is overkill, get a hornet"..... "so its a silencer you want? not on my watch your not".

Sorry for giving you a short answer but nobody here can answer that question. We don't know what the Super is thinking.

Strictly speaking, the Super can't have blanket bans on types of guns etc. Each case has to be judged on it's own merits. In reality though, some are more reluctant to licence certain types of firearms than others.

The fact that they are renewals should make it a bit easier though. You already have the guns and aren't causing problems with them (as far as I know) :)

Stick in your renewals and see how you get on. You might be worrying unecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

I know in the case of a new app its pretty much down to the individual super.

But I was just thinking since you already have the license for the past 3 years it mightened just be so easy to refuse it without a good reason.

Fair enough he might refuse new applications, but hopefully for renewals he'll just have to grit his teeth and stamp them. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Simple answer, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know in the case of a new app its pretty much down to the individual super.

But I was just thinking since you already have the license for the past 3 years it mightened just be so easy to refuse it without a good reason.

Fair enough he might refuse new applications, but hopefully for renewals he'll just have to grit his teeth and stamp them. Hopefully.

If you've kept your nose clean for the past 3 years then you shouldn't have any problems. I do stress the word "shouldn't" though.

But then again, a hell of a lot of lads with centrefire pistols were refused their renewals even though they did nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Yeh I was worried that would be the answer.

Sure we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Sorry for giving you a short answer but nobody here can answer that question. We don't know what the Super is thinking
    Actually, you're thinking of a different question Battle. If the OP was asking will the new super do this, you're perfectly correct. If he was asking can the new super do this, the answer's short and sour - yes, he can. There are precious few limitations to the super's (or chief super for restricted licences) legal powers when it comes to the yes/yes with conditions/no decision on licence applications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

My original Licence back ten years ago stated .220 instead of .22lr.

I didnt stress too much about it until my local FAO moved station and was replaced by a much younger,keener replacement who caled up wanting to see teh secure storage on account of there being a .220 rifle there....when i showed her the gun she realised it was a mistake and ammended the licence however it would've been better if they'd put the right info on the oroginal cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The famous.220 inches calibre.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The famous.220 inches calibre.:D

Call me when you see one of those.

Also lever actions/break actions that are bolt actions;)

Advertisement