Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringefest... Miley Cyrus MTV last night.... Omg

Options
  • 26-08-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

can someone please deliver me back the two minutes I spent of my life watching this. One of the worst, if not THE worst performance I have ever seen. :eek:

I know little of this person, but ffs that is one of the most tragic attempts of being 'cool' or grown up I have ever seen..... Do people not advise this girl... :confused:

Does she not have choreographers.... Man.........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There was music on MTV? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's so cringey. Is noone advising this girl? She looks like she is majorly disturbed.

The pictures of the Smith family are priceless. The son's face cracks me up.

He looks horrified!

article-2402238-1B76FEF0000005DC-740_634x374.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Sad thing is that she will be seen as a role model for young girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's beyond embarrassing. She's acting like someone who has just found out what sex is and wants everyone to know about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Miley was, and always will be corn feed white trash!......

.......but Taylor Swift aint far behind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

It's got everybody talking about her and that's what singers are meant to do nowadays to 'make it'.

I'm a bit annoyed about the people calling her a slut on my Facebook feed though. They're the kind of people who wear next to nothing on a night out or swing their shirt over their head while dancing like a sexed up tool as well. I was expecting outrage but not from these kind of hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I quite like her new song :o

I imagine it was a stunt to get people talking about her and it's definitely working!!
    There's no such thing as bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Watched it on YouTube . Has it been edited, cuz I didn't really think it was that bad or shocking.

Are we really that prudish? I was hearing the hype all day on the radio and only just caught it now.

Storm in a teacup - she must be DELIGHTED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Watched it on YouTube . Has it been edited, cuz I didn't really think it was that bad or shocking.

Are we really that prudish? I was hearing the hype all day on the radio and only just caught it now.

Storm in a teacup - she must be DELIGHTED!

I agree. It was fairly tame. If Rihanna did it I don't think we'd even hear about it. People are just hung up about the fact she doesn't act like Hannah Montana anymore imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I thought she looked pretty sexy, so what if she over does a bit. Who really cares. If anyone should be embarrassed it should be your man Robin. The state of his suit!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

At least when Madonna used to dance around half naked she could actually dance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I don't really see what the big deal is.. apart from the badly fitting flesh coloured rubber 2 piece thing she was wearing.. but it's no worse than what you'd see Lady Gaga wearing tbh..

Also, the first half of the act was almost identical to the actual video for her song.. face pulling and all that caper..

And, the Smith Family's reaction to her smacks ever so slightly of bullying.. in my humblest of opinions, I know it was a knee jerk reaction, but had it not been made such a feature, I doubt people would be making such an issue of her performance.

Were the Smith's reactions not to Gaga's performance?

Certainly wasn't bullying, either way.

Were the Smith's reactions not to Gaga's performance?

Certainly wasn't bullying, either way.

Well it didn't do her any favours.. my point is, I think had their reaction not been captured and rehashed in this meme style over and over, her performance would not be ridiculed quite as much as it has been..

As I said, it was a knee jerk reaction on their parts and probably didn't realise they'd be caught on camera..

But as artists themselves, I would have thought there would be a sort of comradery between the performers and they would be gracious enough to sit through each others acts without making 'cringy' faces..

Maybe bullying was the wrong term to use.. but it was a bit unsporting of them.

xzanti wrote: »
    I don't really see what the big deal is.. apart from the badly fitting flesh coloured rubber 2 piece thing she was wearing.. but it's no worse than what you'd see Lady Gaga wearing tbh..

Also, the first half of the act was almost identical to the actual video for her song.. face pulling and all that caper..

And, the Smith Family's reaction to her smacks ever so slightly of bullying.. in my humblest of opinions, I know it was a knee jerk reaction, but had it not been made such a feature, I doubt people would be making such an issue of her performance.

bullying.......:rolleyes: ........the smiths reaction simply echoed everyones elses reaction perfectly.

bullying.......:rolleyes: ........the smiths reaction simply echoed everyones elses reaction perfectly.

See above ;)

xzanti wrote: »
    See above ;)

97.3%......:cool:

I stand by my opinion.. it was unsporting of them..

I have yet to see shots of any other audience members looking so disgusted.. the rest of them appeared pretty indifferent.. they may not have been overly impressed, but they didn't let it show for the cameras.

I am of course open to correction.. maybe some images will surface at some stage.. I personally have not seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Theres so many things wrong with this performance.

She cant seem to keep her tongue in her mouth for one.

She's as sexy as a piece of grizzle.

The "music".....oh man, dont get me started.

Her "dancing" was something akin to a drunk stripper routine.

People say theres no such thing as bad publicity, well there is when it results in a tidlewave of negativity.

It was embarrasing, void of any substance or talent.

I recently came across a recording of the 1992 VMA's where there was performances by U2, Michael Jackson, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Nirvana etc. How has the state of music collapsed so much since then?

I dispair, I really do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wafaa79

It's beyond embarrassing. She's acting like someone who has just found out what sex is and wants everyone to know about it.
    Which is probably the case... :)
    Anyway, they say all publicity is good publicity.
    People talked about her and that's probably what her prod team was looking for. There is a fierce competition among these girls to be Hollywood wild child. To us she looks like she was possessed by some sex starved demon, to her, it created a huge buzz and saved her tons of money in marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rihanna7

Just watched it on youtube it's great publicity for her everyone will talk about it & remember it, She looks like she has just discovered sex & wants everyone to know it. All the teenagers i know absolutely love her, personally i didn't find anything sexy about that performance

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wafaa79

It was to Lady Gaga, you're right. I don't see that as bullying either. Both "performances" were downright creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

I feel bad saying this but I just don't get Miley, there was plenty of ways for her to have a more grown-up image, but that skin coloured outfit, those tiny pigtails and the foam finger and that tongue?! I mean no one is really gonna take her seriously now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder what her fella Liam thinks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I thought the Smith family reaction was a bit staged. Was it definitely during the performance? I only see the photo, I haven't seen it happening during the video. Could just be media doing what media does best, stirring ****.

Also, the whole 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'...I'm sure Lindsay Lohan would disagree...Charlie Sheen...Mel Gibson...Gary ****ing Glitter.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

I feel bad saying this but I just don't get Miley...
    well Holy God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think people are being "prudish", it's more that the whole performance was just cringey to watch. She's just so desperate to be seen as really edgy and cool and show everyone how grown up she is, and it just came off as ridiculous. She just looks like a child trying to play with the grown ups. Such a try-hard.

Sure, there's no such thing as bad publicity, but I'm not sure everyone ridiculing her was the reaction she was going for either.

Also, I'm not sure that the comparison with Rihanna is all that balanced. Rihanna was never a former child television star. Miley Cyrus was until very recently (my 9 year old niece still loves her from Hannah Montana!). Seeing her onstage at an awards ceremony using a foam finger as a penis and metaphorically f*cking the crowd with it is somewhat disturbing given much of her fanbase is well under the age of sexualization. If she wants to be seen as grown up, fine, no one's going to stop her from growing up, but there are ways of doing it that actually make people take you seriously.

And the worst part is, she's not completely void of talent. She has some chops as a country singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

lahalane wrote: »
    I thought the Smith family reaction was a bit staged. Was it definitely during the performance? I only see the photo, I haven't seen it happening during the video. Could just be media doing what media does best, stirring ****.

Also, the whole 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'...I'm sure Lindsay Lohan would disagree...Charlie Sheen...Mel Gibson...Gary ****ing Glitter.

++1 on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

The whole thing just had not integrity atall... From her dance moves, the use of backing dancers, the black women with huge behinds, her 'black' dance moves, the song, the bent over fanny flashing. Regardless of who she was or is, there was nothing artistic about her performance from start to finish... The whole bad publicity good publicity thing, I wouldn't want to be part of a world where having to perform like that for no other reason than to get publicity. There was nothing of any artistic integrity about any of it. Very very sad...

Advertisement