Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringefest... Miley Cyrus MTV last night.... Omg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

And the smith reaction, I think it was to gaga but either way that's what my face would be if I was sat there watching that performance with my family....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Madonna, Lady Gaga and Rihanna have been raunchy in the past and will probably be in the future, I agree with the other posters about this.

But Miley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana was a role model for many young girls growing up, they copied her clothes and her hairstyle.

What kind of message is she sending out to her young fan base?

It's not a good message for young girls on how to behave and it's not a good message for young boys who may think that this is the way young girls should act.

Cheap publicity trying to create a new persona, while forgetting her past one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Aineoil wrote: »
    Madonna, Lady Gaga and Rihanna have been raunchy in the past and will probably be in the future, I agree with the other posters about this.

But Miley Cyrus aka Hannah Montana was a role model for many young girls growing up, they copied her clothes and her hairstyle.

It's not a good message for young girls on how to behave and it's not a good message for young boys who may think that this is the way young girls should act.

I think that she has every right to want to free herself from her previous image. Why should she have to stick to the same 'job' if it's not what she wants? Remember, she was just a kid too and now she's grown up a bit that might not appeal to her anymore. Obviously there are better and more subtle ways to do it but I wouldn't condemn her for it.

A lot of her fans from the Hannah Montana days are older too so I'm sure they have been corrupted by now anyway. Mind you, that's a huge assumption on my part...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Bleh, is this what passes for Controversy nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why does everyone put performers on this role model pedestal? Why should she care if she's setting a bad example? She doesn't exist to teach young people how to act, that's a parents job. She doesn't care any more or any less about your children than anyone else does.

Set your own example for your kids!

• Advertisement

lahalane wrote: »
    I think that she has every right to want to free herself from her previous image. Why should she have to stick to the same 'job' if it's not what she wants? Remember, she was just a kid too and now she's grown up a bit that might not appeal to her anymore. Obviously there are better and more subtle ways to do it but I wouldn't condemn her for it.

A lot of her fans from the Hannah Montana days are older too so I'm sure they have been corrupted by now anyway. Mind you, that's a huge assumption on my part...

I take your point, you can't be locked into being a child star forever. Yes, she was a child too when she shot to stardom. We'll never know if she had any input in the decision making about that.

I didn't condemn her, I just wish she had been a little more subtle.

Why does everyone put performers on this role model pedestal? Why should she care if she's setting a bad example? She doesn't exist to teach young people how to act, that's a parents job. She doesn't care any more or any less about your children than anyone else does.

Set your own example for your kids!

There's a truth in what you post. Indeed it is the job of parents to teach young people how to act.

But

Some teens find their parents old fuddy duddies and old fashioned and look up to their idols.

It's never simple.

There's a truth in what you post. Indeed it is the job of parents to teach young people how to act.

But

Some teens find their parents old fuddy duddies and old fashioned and look up to their idols.

It's never simple.

Yeah but it doesn't fall on the shoulders of Miley Cyrus to lead by example :pac:

Anyway, kids will act the way they want regardless of who they look up to. I mean, half the people I looked up to when I was growing up were on heroin all the time but I didn't follow suit :pac:

I have three kids and I certainly don't think it is up to miley Cyrus to lead by example or not, but ffs she should have a bit of self respect and artistic integrity. I'm talking about a commitment to her profession, to actually be in any way, good..... To disrespect whole cultures by cheapening herself and the people she Watson stage with, for what... To be talked about... Wtf... Madonnas, even tho controversial, had integrity in many ways and worked at her profession, musicality voice and stage show. Miley looked like she was on some sort of hallucinogenic aphrodisiac that isn't sexy in any way atall. The whole dancers thing to, being used to try to stamp some sort of African American coolness.... Sticking her face in some woman's behind... Grim... Not nice to watch and I actually feel sorry for her if this is how she intends in pursuing a career, there can't be much satisfaction in being such and obvious fake.

dharma200 wrote: »
    I have three kids and I certainly don't think it is up to miley Cyrus to lead by example or not, but ffs she should have a bit of self respect and artistic integrity. I'm talking about a commitment to her profession, to actually be in any way, good..... To disrespect whole cultures by cheapening herself and the people she Watson stage with, for what... To be talked about... Wtf... Madonnas, even tho controversial, had integrity in many ways and worked at her profession, musicality voice and stage show. Miley looked like she was on some sort of hallucinogenic aphrodisiac that isn't sexy in any way atall. The whole dancers thing to, being used to try to stamp some sort of African American coolness.... Sticking her face in some woman's behind... Grim... Not nice to watch and I actually feel sorry for her if this is how she intends in pursuing a career, there can't be much satisfaction in being such and obvious fake.

She probably was. She sings about "Molly" in he new song which is a slang term for ecstasy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

im5y.jpg

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/the-internets-10-best-miley-cyrus-jokes-604931.html

A pic from Breakingnews.ie they are running with alot of memes!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

But

It's never simple.

Yes I blame Miley's parents :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It was sexual but it wasn't sexy, At all. She's has a flat ass so she's got nothing to be tweakin' wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

She's just being Miley..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Because singers like Rihanna, Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga are who young girls (and older) listen to these days and influence their idea of what's sexy and cool etc. Whether they want to be role models or not, simply by being in the limelight they will have teenagers imitating them and looking up to them.
    I for one would love if there were more female singers that didn't always have to be overtly sexual on stage to get attention and media exposure or be taken serious as an artist... Of the top of my head I can't think of a single current female artist that doesn't act like a muppet on stage. Maybe Adele or Emili Sande but they don't appeal to teenagers that much I suspect because they sing slower stuff.
    If I had a teenage daughter I certainly wouldn't want her acting like Miley Cyrus at the VMAs on a night out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It was sexual but it wasn't sexy, At all. She's has a flat ass so she's got nothing to be tweakin' wit.

Twerkin'

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

twerkin', is that not what the meth heads do when they can't get their fix??:confused:

i used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

My feelings exactly... :D

twerkin', is that not what the meth heads do when they can't get their fix??:confused:

i used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was...

No, that's tweaking :L

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

For me, Miley's VMA performance and her recent behaviour in general is nothing I haven't seen before from people like Madonna, Rihanna and Lady Gaga. The reason I find it so bizarre and cringey coming from Miley is that it seems like she just woke up one morning with a new love for twerking and no control over her tongue and decided to run with it. It's so contrived and unnatural for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The most surprising thing in all this is that people are actually shocked. This happens constantly in the world of pop. Nothing new here.

Come on did you watch it? It's not even that it had ambitions to be what it has become, a total and utter cringe fest, not shocking or breaking new boundaries in art, just a reflection of white privelidge and utter shameless objectification of oneself for publicity in one of the most embarrassing performances I have ever witnessed.... Not your average madonnas lady gaga there to shock but vaguely entertaining, miley was that bad to watch it is disturbing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Cienciano wrote: »
    The most surprising thing in all this is that people are actually shocked. This happens constantly in the world of pop. Nothing new here.

I don't think it's so much shock as it is that people just think it was weird and a bit gross and creepy. Maybe an element of that is because she was a child star but apart from knowing her name, I never would have followed her as a child star- and yet I was uncomfortable watching her VMA performance because it was just so bizarre and above all else way too try-hard.

I couldn't really care less what someone wears (or doesn't wear really in her case) but all the tongue stuff and jamming the giant finger thing between her legs is all a little pathetic attention-grabbing. But then, she got that attention and I've no doubt she knows well what she's doing so mission accomplished. It's just to me, I find it all a bit contrived and pathetic- and also an insult to whatever talent for singing and dancing the girl may have, which is more and more being totally overshadowed by her behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Introducing the "Twerk" Vid

A dance in hip-hop culture usually done by African and Latin women with small waists and large asses.

The Twerk Battle is an event where a MC calls on two women in a club to get up on a stage and shake there ass while a DJ plays Twerk music. The winner is determined by who gets the best reaction from the crowd in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Miley Cyrus has such a stank face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm really surprised by the reaction to all this, for one if folks go and watch the promo videos for both these songs there is far worse than what was on the vma's especially Thicke if you manage to see the uncensored version with all the topless ladies :p

I'm sure most of us realize that MIley Cyrus didn't spontaneously decide to go good girl gone bad and that this was decided by suits in a boardroom and choreographed well in advance, if this was not going to make her and all involved money then her PR and Management would have steered her well clear, in fact i doubt if she had any say in this at all, really don't think she and others like her are intelligent enough to create publicity stunts like this on their own ;)

You are so right.... Reported now she is 'collaborating' with Britney Spears.....

media manipulation has gone beyond with this crap anyway.... Everything in mainstream entertainment seems so disingenuous.... I cant have the radio on in the car anymore, it's like a brainwashing device.... What a load of crap.

Miley Cyrus is a multi millionaire. Very sad to be a puppet on a string like this for greed and whatever else.

Or maybe I am just getting old.... My son watched the video, he is 13, and he was like, that is totally minging. I am glad this was his reaction. If I saw my daughters twerk, it might be one of the last things they do before they are grounded till 21. It's not a prissy thing either, there are artist out there who can express sexuality without making it total skank. What did mileys management team say... For the next few years you are going to portray yourself as white trash using black culture to make money, even tho I reality you are a little rich girl with silver spoons and a private jet your going to use poor African American culture and sex to make even more money, clever girl eh...

I found this an interesting opinion piece from the perspective of an African American, on mileys performance.... I doubt miley herself has the intention of examining her own behaviour and the societal implications, but I found it an interesting read,
    http://groupthink.jezebel.com/solidarity-is-for-miley-cyrus-1203666732

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Just came across more news stories, critising it for being "raunchy" and "over-sexual" which I found hilarious, because no way was that sexy, it was just downright cringy and odd. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fuchsia123

Why discussions about female artists always boil down to one thing

http://www.txforlistening.com/index.php/miley-cyrus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

dharma200 wrote: »

I know little of this person, but ffs that is one of the most tragic attempts of being 'cool' or grown up I have ever seen..... Do people not advise this girl... :confused:

Yes, and she was most likely advised to do what she did.

She is now world famous. I can honestly say I knew very little about her before this, now everyone knows her almost intimately. :D The plan worked. She'll sell plenty more records now.:rolleyes:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...l-media-614693

Will be interesting to see sales figures in a week.

The performance was rubbish though...nowhere near sexy enough to pull if off (pun might have been intended) and the music/singing is absolutely brutal. If she didn't perform the way she did everyone would have forgotten about her performance.

Advertisement