Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringefest... Miley Cyrus MTV last night.... Omg

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah, she just really needs to get the whole act together. It looks clumsy and awkward, and it reeks of desperation. She needs to tighten up as a performer and stop trying so hard. Similar to the Gaga example, if you even take a standard Beyonce performance.

Or even Justin Timberlake's performance at the same show, on the same night as Miley Cyrus this year.

Like their music or not, as performers, they have it down. The gulf in quality between these performances and Miley Cyrus' is huge. The likes of Gaga, Timberlake or Beyonce are professionals who actually take it seriously and clearly put a lot of work into their acts to make it look and sound as good as possible, and as such they're actually taken seriously as pop stars. Miley Cyrus looks like a joke beside them, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Miley Cyrus: 20 YOA
    Robin Thicke: 36 YOA.

It's so much easier for me to hate on Thicke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

To be fair, she is a talented singer.

Just very lost in regards to how she's puyting herself across, 'cos that video was anything but raunchy/racy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She is on Alan Carr's show tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    She is on Alan Carr's show tonight

The foam finger is making another guest appearance...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I actually think Wrecking ball is quite a decent song. It's no worse than any other generic pop music in the charts today. Yes the video is another disaster but as a stand alone track, it's not awful

I actually think Wrecking ball is quite a decent song. It's no worse than any other generic pop music in the charts today. Yes the video is another disaster but as a stand alone track, it's not awful

I agree I like the song not the video though

If only Bruce went nude in his video for Wrecking Ball :P

All over between Miley and Liam, I guess the relationship just wasn't twerking

I find it very annoying when people just jump on the bandwagon to hate on her.
    I do think the video to Wrecking Ball is meant to be symbolic, not sexy. The nudity shows vulnerability and the making out with the hammer shows an affection for the pain. I don't think I'm reading too much into this but it's irritating that if it were any other artist, people would 'understand' the video so much more. It seems to be they are looking for reasons to hate her.
    Also, 1 Direction, Justin Bieber, any male pop star could go shirtless and sexualise themself to sell singles but when a girl does it she is criticised? (Even though, like I said, I don't think she tried to sexualise herself) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

It was awful, really terrible, the most out of tune singing I ever heard, that thicke guy ought to be ashamed of himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I find it very annoying when people just jump on the bandwagon to hate on her.
    I do think the video to Wrecking Ball is meant to be symbolic, not sexy. The nudity shows vulnerability and the making out with the hammer shows an affection for the pain. I don't think I'm reading too much into this but it's irritating that if it were any other artist, people would 'understand' the video so much more. It seems to be they are looking for reasons to hate her.
    Also, 1 Direction, Justin Bieber, any male pop star could go shirtless and sexualise themself to sell singles but when a girl does it she is criticised? (Even though, like I said, I don't think she tried to sexualise herself) :rolleyes:

I don't hate her, hate is such a strong word. I also don't feel like any of the comments on this thread are filled with hatred. Maybe I'm wrong??

In relation to the VMA awards, it was a very sloppy performance. I was embarrassed for the poor girl but I most certainly do not 'hate' her.

The wrecking ball song is not too bad for a pop song in fairness to her, but the video is just awful. In my opinion, she just doesn't pull off the nudity thing very well. She tries so hard at trying to be sexy and she just seems to fail miserably.

Also in relation to the bolded bit, are you actually going to go there?? If 'Miley' was trying to 'sexualise' herself, it wasn't happening. Plenty of female artists have performed scantily clad and don't receive negative criticism because they are can actually perform. I have already mentioned this in my previous posts. 'Clothing or the lack of it' won't stand in the way of pure raw talent or an outstanding performance. Miley displays neither in the wrecking ball video or in her VMA performance. I think she definitely has potential but she seriously needs to clean up her act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The whole "slut-shaming", "people are only criticizing her because she's a woman" argument holds no water, in my opinion. Rihanna, Beyonce and countless other female popstars all sexualize themselves on a regular basis in their videos and in their live performances and no one bats an eyelid because they can actually perform and pull it off.

"Hate" is a very strong word, I certainly don't hate the girl, that would be absurd. I do think the performance at the VMAs was beyond cringey though. The desperation to be seen as edgy is embarrassing to watch. The performance displayed no obvious talent or professionalism in any sense. It was just an exercise in objectifying oneself for publicity, nothing more.

Wrecking Ball as a song is fine - not terrible, but by no means great. It's just 'meh'. Would it be generating as much publicity if she wasn't naked in the video? Probably not. Does it showcase her talent as a singer? No. Does it have artistic integrity? Not really. Is it even a good pop song? Not in my opinion.

Like I said before, I think her real talent lies in country music. I think she could build a mature image for herself that could actually be taken seriously if she made music of that kind. Clearly that's not the direction she wants to go in, which is fine. Thus far though, she comes off as a sloppy enough popstar, especially when you compare her to her contemporaries.

Compare Miley's song to any Beyonce tune or Justin Timberlake's Mirrors song or even the banger that Britney Spears has just released, and the contrast is pretty stark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

The whole "slut-shaming", "people are only criticizing her because she's a woman" argument holds no water, in my opinion. Rihanna, Beyonce and countless other female popstars all sexualize themselves on a regular basis in their videos and in their live performances and no one bats an eyelid because they can actually perform and pull it off.

"Hate" is a very strong word, I certainly don't hate the girl, that would be absurd. I do think the performance at the VMAs was beyond cringey though. The desperation to be seen as edgy is embarrassing to watch. The performance displayed no obvious talent or professionalism in any sense. It was just an exercise in objectifying oneself for publicity, nothing more.

Wrecking Ball as a song is fine - not terrible, but by no means great. It's just 'meh'. Would it be generating as much publicity if she wasn't naked in the video? Probably not. Does it showcase her talent as a singer? No. Does it have artistic integrity? Not really. Is it even a good pop song? Not in my opinion.

Like I said before, I think her real talent lies in country music. I think she could build a mature image for herself that could actually be taken seriously if she made music of that kind. Clearly that's not the direction she wants to go in, which is fine. Thus far though, she comes off as a sloppy enough popstar, especially when you compare her to her contemporaries.

Compare Miley's song to any Beyonce tune or Justin Timberlake's Mirrors song or even the banger that Britney Spears has just released, and the contrast is pretty stark.

Much better put than my gibber gabber and exactly what I was trying to say!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 james.deeen

i see Liam did a major upgrade to yer wan, Eliza....she a real stunner!, i always thought Liam was using Miley to get his name out there and never had any intention of marying her.

i see Liam did a major upgrade to yer wan, Eliza....she a real stunner!, i always thought Liam was using Miley to get his name out there and never had any intention of marying her.

I think this Eliza one now is using Liam to up her profile :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

She certainly doesn't seem to have much more class than Miley looking at some of the pictures.

Sinead O Connor latest person to condemn Miley now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sinead O Connor latest person to condemn Miley now

It was more of a "you are not the one making the big bucks, don't whore yourself out for other" sort of thing really though. She had a point, companies and managers rule her and every other group these days, they don't really get a say. Sad really.

I love wrecking ball, I like the way she sings it, but it will always be affiliated with her nigh on giving fellacio to a sledge hammer. The starkers naked thing wasn't even as bad as that.

As for the role model thing, I get that young girls want people to look up to, and she was Hannah Montana for years, but that contract is gone and she is not actually Hannah Montana. She shouldn't have to be seen as a role model if she doesn't want to be.

Her album and new single straight to No. 1 in UK charts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So with the benefit of hindsight will this go down as one of the greatest PR stunts of all time? Single handedly transformed her into one of the most recognisable pop stars on the planet. Her record sales, radio airplay and social networking stats have gone through the roof. As much as I hate to say it, congratulations to her PR team on a job well done.

• Advertisement

So with the benefit of hindsight will this go down as one of the greatest PR stunts of all time? Single handedly transformed her into one of the most recognisable pop stars on the planet. Her record sales, radio airplay and social networking stats have gone through the roof. As much as I hate to say it, congratulations to her PR team on a job well done.

What is the most memorable thing about that show.... her. Whoever didn't realise that she had left the Hannah Montana image behind definately knows it now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah, ya gotta hand it to her/them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

She certainly doesn't seem to have much more class than Miley looking at some of the pictures.

Who is Eliza and what pictures?

kryogen wrote: »
    Who is Eliza and what pictures?

Liam Hemsworth's new girlfriend Eiza Gonzalez

Miley light up a joint on stage at tonight's EMA awards collecting an award

Miley light up a joint on stage at tonight's EMA awards collecting an award

Well it was in Amsterdam...

Still though, not exactly a wise thing to do, being a teen idol and all.

xzanti wrote: »
    Well it was in Amsterdam...

Still though, not exactly a wise thing to do, being a teen idol and all.

I know as a pop star you are in the line of fire for these things, but it annoys me that it is expected they have to be icons to kids. I mean could you imagine having to watch every last thing you do because people will be judging you on a worldwide scale. I would go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I know as a pop star you are in the line of fire for these things, but it annoys me that it is expected they have to be icons to kids. I mean could you imagine having to watch every last thing you do because people will be judging you on a worldwide scale. I would go insane.

It goes with the job though doesn't it? Double edged sword really and like you I'd hate it. Yes you get to make a lot of money and a life of luxury but I'd hate the attention.
    I think the people like Cathy Denis (could have the name wrong) who have written most of the successful pop songs for Kylie and the others have the right balance. They get paid a fortune as every time the song is played they get to royalties but they also get to live a life of their own without the media attention.

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Well in fairness, it's not like she sparked up a joint in her dressing room and got caught on camera.. or even out in a club..

She did it on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Well in fairness, it's not like she sparked up a joint in her dressing room and got caught on camera.. or even out in a club..

She did it on stage.

Thats a fair point, she did it with the intention of getting people talking.

• Advertisement

She did it on stage.

But you can only "smoke" in restricted areas. So it is clear this was done with a herbal cigarette and is solely for publicity purposes. But I still think that it is not nice to be so judged.

Advertisement