Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Boru triathlon

Options
  • 26-08-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

So who is in for Olyimpic and who is in for sprint? I wonder how many will be racing this year seeing as it is not NS

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

oly here. achilles is on ice since castleconnell saturday(as it's been for the past few weeks) but will be on the start line. Can't miss my home town race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Trig1 wrote: »
    So who is in for Olyimpic and who is in for sprint? I wonder how many will be racing this year seeing as it is not NS

I think the numbers are way down, i dont think thy had 60 entered in for each race up to last week,
    Hope it picks up, I'm sure Dunmore East having been re scheduled will have an impact on it,

Ceepo wrote: »
    I think the numbers are way down, i dont think thy had 60 entered in for each race up to last week,
    Hope it picks up, I'm sure Dunmore East having been re scheduled will have an impact on it,

that would be a real shame if that were the case, few thoughts on that though ,
    1) seems strange if castleconnnell pulled 250+ that killaloe only gets 120
    2) are they paying the price for making it too tough? (i knoew a few that did castleconnell, are doing lost sheep, but won;t do boru
    3) said it before, have the two tri events, castleconnell and killaloe, few miles apart, on consequtive weekends was nuts

i'd probably have done dunmore east if it were on a free weekend, so can understand it's a bit of a draw away from this one

The fact that a lot of people had previously entered Dunmore as well as been NS race would go again it,
    And i agree the tough course would put a lot of people off, when there is so many races on so close together im sure because its the harder one, people will be thinking of recovering for the next race,
    The face thats its a Club race and not a For profit race like Worlds End is lost on most people

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

The face thats its a Club race and not a For profit race like Worlds End is lost on most people

Thats not true and completely unfair..... While it is not run by a triathlon club, it is run by Castleconnell Boat Club as a way of generating funds for their club. To be very honest I'm much happier to see a club that supports youth involvement in sport get the money rather than a tri club!
    I think you need to clarify your statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

All races are run 'for profit', if the money goes back into a club to cover costs or if it goes into a race director pocket it does not matter IMO.

DaveR1 wrote: »
    To be very honest I'm much happier to see a club that supports youth involvement in sport get the money rather than a tri club!

by running a triathlon? that seems strange logic

going off topic here, but i do applaud limerick and the few others that include a kids race on race day. I'm all for promoting youth involvement in sport, and having the race for kids on while all the buzz around the main race is on is a great incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

mossym wrote: »
    by running a triathlon? that seems strange logic

Not really.... Many different clubs have running races as fundraisers, so why not triathlon? They have found a way to fundraise and in fairness do a good job. Don't cut corners in the organisation and put on a good race. What more do we want?

Thats not true and completely unfair..... While it is not run by a triathlon club, it is run by Castleconnell Boat Club as a way of generating funds for their club. To be very honest I'm much happier to see a club that supports youth involvement in sport get the money rather than a tri club!
    I think you need to clarify your statement.

Happy to change that for you.

That fact that's it run by an Non Triathlon club to raise funds seems lost on most people.

I am happier to do Club races that non club but that's my choice . I am also all for youth development and involvement in clubs of sports and long may it continue.

Back on topic
    I believe that numbers are coming up in the last few days.

Not really.... Many different clubs have running races as fundraisers, so why not triathlon? They have found a way to fundraise and in fairness do a good job. Don't cut corners in the organisation and put on a good race. What more do we want?

think you had me wrong. I've no issue with them running the race, it was well put on and i'll be back next year. twas just the part that twas better for them to get the money from a tri than a tri club that i found odd. the fact that there is no tri club in castleconnell makes it a mute point i guess

• Advertisement

Back on topic
    I believe that numbers are coming up in the last few days.

i don;t sue facbook, but just had a look at their page
    https://www.facebook.com/brianborutrichallenge
    and saw this posted onthe 19th
    Entries to Both Races are now Full!
    Please contact info@brianborutrichallenge.comto join the waiting list.

with a further post on the 20th to say they had opened up a few more places.

either that was just a tactic to encourage people to sign up, or it's a lot fuller than suggested

mossym wrote: »
    i don;t sue facbook, but just had a look at their page
    https://www.facebook.com/brianborutrichallenge
    and saw this posted onthe 19th
    Entries to Both Races are now Full!
    Please contact info@brianborutrichallenge.comto join the waiting list.

with a further post on the 20th to say they had opened up a few more places.

either that was just a tactic to encourage people to sign up, or it's a lot fuller than suggested

Can say what there limit was/is.

But I believe they have approx 200 inc relays.
    Delighted to hear I may add.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

I only registered last night so there must be some spots left.

hopefully this gets close to full, much as a i like a bit of room at t1 to wrestle out of the wetsuit a full transition is a better vibe before a race:)

registration tonight in the pipers. cue some glances up the hill at whats in store tomorrow

will be a nice relaxed start tomorrow, won't even have to start the car for this race, 3 mile cycle out to the start for me. best of luck to all racing, if any board members are around Killaloe tomorrow night for a pint let me know, will likely be out for a recovery beverage or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

I Just registered tonight to avoid having to get up early in the morning and I have to say I was not impressed...compared to Last year (registration in centre of town evening beforehand with nice t-shirt) this year I spent a half hour looking for registration...could not find it, had to ask 3 people..eventually found it half way up the hill on the cycle course? registered to find a plastic super valu bag at registration with a packet of jaffa cakes and no t-shirt and to be told I had to collect my timing chip in the morning???.. I'm not 1 to race just for a t-shirt but knowing I'm not going to wing the race and after paying over 60 euro's to do an olympic distance race the least they could have done was throw in a t-shirt into the goodie bag...hope the race tomorrow is better organised:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Damn it...i only ever do them for the t-shirt:mad:. Looking forward to tomorrow all the same

A Very very well ran race today...all credit to the race director and the marshalls- they were all excellent-even had Keith Woods to give us a few words of encouragement and a priest to bless us beforehand :D , and the sun shone of course, lovely day and I'll definitely be back next year, still a pity we got no t-shirts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A Very very well ran race today...all credit to the race director and the marshalls- they were all excellent-even had Keith Woods to give us a few words of encouragement and a priest to bless us beforehand :D , and the sun shone of course, lovely day and I'll definitely be back next year, still a pity we got no t-shirts :(

Totally seconded. Just up the goody bag standard and you have a really top event. Yeah the hills are a bee-otch but we do this for a challenge don't we? Plenty of couches to sit on out there if you want it soft! :)

Credit to all those who made it happen (quite a cast) and a special thanks to my fellow athletes. Other tris this year were blighted by drafting but I didn't see any there today whatsoever. Being surrounded by such sportsmen and sportswomen is an inspiration in itself.

The goody bag was a downer but on the basis of how smooth the racing went, I'll be back. Roll on 2014.

Your dead right, I did not see 1 person drafting today, maybe it was because the numbers were down and they had waves of around 50 in each wave- definitely other events need to take a leaf out of Brian Boru tri's book..well done all

• Advertisement

Your dead right, I did not see 1 person drafting today, maybe it was because the numbers were down and they had waves of around 50 in each wave- definitely other events need to take a leaf out of Brian Boru tri's book..well done all

Two people pinged for Drafting and another few told to split things up,
    Few Verbal warnings for Bare Torso.
    One No Helmet Penalty,

I think common sense was the was the order of the day,

The smaller wave's were a hugh part also, as it reduces the chances of Drafting,

A really well run and organised race, Well done to the Race Director and all the Lead Marshall's and Marshall's,

Credit where it's due

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Any results up anywhere?

Any results up anywhere?

Here you go.

http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=74&RId=10191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Had a great day. The location, the waves, the scenic (but testing) course, the weather, the blessing, the race team, especially the supportive marshals, were all brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and t-shirt or no t-shirt will defo be back next year. Thanks to everyone involved. Great event

great race, my first olympic, and wow could i have chosen a harder one. swim was awful, couldn't get a rhythm going, and looking aorund thought the whoe wave had dropped me, never relaxed and the siwm ended up taking way too much out of me. bike leg is always my strongest but came out of swim with heart maxed and took forever to recover form that, which bascially affected the whole race for me. as it turned out my swim was 31 which was right where i thought it would be so i think a waterproof gps or some timer might be a prudent investment
    run was poor, both legs locked up completely, ended up doing a two foot shuffle for quite a bit of it, and hte time reflected it. anyway, target of sub 3 disappeared quickly, finished in 3:11, but given the way the race went i was actually happy with that, real learning experience for my first olympic, they are definitely a far cry from sprints!!

great race though, even though i suffered i enjoyed it, well run . there was some drafting going on, but nothing compared ot other races. heading into tuamgraney i spotted one person absolutely sucking the back wheel of the guy in front of him. yelled at the guy to quit drafting but they were going the other way from me so never saw if he did. pretty sure spotted him pictured in one of the official shots released, but can;t see his number . there was the usual clumps forming going up the hills on the bike, but that was more down to the gradient being too much for people to overtake.

so a lot to build on from that, will definitely be back, i'm quite sure they're right when they say it's irelands toughest tri. sub 3 next year

next up olympic in lanzarote

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

great tri yesterday, love it and def back next yr...il buy a white dunnes t shirt and white brian boru 2013 in a black marker on it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

It was my first time to do the Brian Boru.
    Drove down from Dublin with my wife and daughter for support on Saturday morning. With the motorway was there in 2hr10min without any rushing.

Did not know any of the other competitors but had a good chat with those around me in transition. Nice relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Swim was not too difficult. Clean water, nice temperature, 75 in my wave and lots of space.
    There was a bit of short chop on the middle leg of swim so occasionally did a bit breaststroke while drafting to regain composure and identify the next pair of feet to bridge to.

Bike had a good mix of hills and flats and was very well marshaled. Challenging but manageable.

The uphill first 5km of the run was too steep to run at my present level of fitness. Walked most of it like many others. The second 5km downhill was a blast.

Will be back next year with the aim to break 3 hours.
    Hill running will be part of the training program next time around.

Stunning event followed nice meal and company in the Pipers Inn.
    Will make it a weekend next year.

Well done Ennis Tri.

Advertisement