Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can family member help self-employed in their business?

Options
  • 26-08-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I just opened a clothing shop in Ireland, and my question is, can family member (mother, brother etc.) help me in running my business? They are not employed in my shop. And in case of my shop being controlled by anyone, will that bring any consequences such as penalty?
    Is there any law that prohibits family member to help me in my shop?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If the family member is currently claiming a social welfare benefit, then if they are "rostered" to work in your shop, they are not available for work at those times.

If they happen to pass by at lunch time and see you're busy, they could probably lend a hand for a few minutes, but if they're left alone minding the shop then no.

Who is likely to be controlling your shop other than you?

Another possible aspect to consider is if they're not employees, are they covered by insurance? What if they suffer a workplace accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

An individual can have a family member working as an employee, and that individual does not have to pay the family member a minimum wage, for example. The normal rules regarding employees do not always apply.

There is no law that prohibits a family member from helping out in a family member's shop - save where there may be concerns over the immigration and visa status of that family member, or social welfare rules, or other rare, over-riding concerns.

What do you mean by 'in case of my shop being controlled by anyone'?

Advertisement