Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences of breaking a contract.

Options
  • 26-08-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm currently working as an English teacher in Bulgaria and I'm on a 12 month contract. The thing is I've got another opportunity so I'm thinking of leaving after Christmas (so I'll only have put in 7 out of 12 months) which means I'll be breaking my contract.

What I'm wondering is what are the possible ramifications of this? Specifically will my employers have the right to withhold my pay packet for December if they know I'm not coming back for January? Obviously the circumstances and laws are going to be different because it's Bulgaria and the posters on this board are probably not experts on Bulgarian employment law but I'm open to any insight and I'm often surprised by the depth of knowledge thrown up by boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Don't know about Bulgaria but a lot will depend on what exactly it says in your contract- even if it is for a year, there may be ways to resign early within the contract.

In general, they cannot withold your wages for work done. They could sue you for breech of contract and business they lost, btu this is very unlikely to happen. Of course, forget about a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hey all, I'm currently working as an English teacher in Bulgaria and I'm on a 12 month contract. The thing is I've got another opportunity so I'm thinking of leaving after Christmas (so I'll only have put in 7 out of 12 months) which means I'll be breaking my contract.
    If, and only if, the other contract is set in stone, should you consider giving in your notice. If you do decide to leave, maybe tell them in November that it's not working out for you, in November, to give them time to replace you. Keep in mind that they may drop you like a hot potato, though.

Advertisement