Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uniform question

Options
  • 26-08-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick question if anyone can help.

I work in fashion retail and we have to wear the clothes that are in stock, once sold out we cannot wear them to work. We get a great discount on the clothes but we worked out that we each have to spend between €200-€300 per year on uniform, after discount. Can we claim some of it back in our tax?

I looked at the revenue website but could not see anything.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think so.

If you're only spending that much per year on clothing which you can wear outside of work, you're doing pretty well.

Have you ever tried selling things thru the high-class 2nd-hand shops that do on-behalf-of sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You can't claim for the clothing, as it is not a uniform as such and because the area of retail you work in is not covered (if you worked in a chemist for eg you would be covered).

However, you can claim a flat rate allowance of €121 per year tax allowance.

Information here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/employee-expenses.html

"Shop Assistants
    (including supermarket staff, general shop workers, drapery and footwear assistants) - 2013 flat rate allowance €121"

€121 would go a decent way towards your yearly costs.

I know it can be a pain having to wear items from the shop you work in (had to do it myself as a student) but when you consider office workers have to wear a certain type of outfit to work and get no allowances whatsoever, a yearly cost of about €100 for all your work wear isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

Thanks for your help,

i will tell the other girls also, i only work part time so any little i can claim for would be great...

Advertisement