Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Dispute Fee

Options
  • 26-08-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

As a landlord I registered with the PRTB, handing over €90 for the privilege.

I now have to raise a dispute with them due to an early exit by my lovely tenants and damage.

I find out that I have to hand over and additional €15........ I'm seeing red right now.

Can someone tell me what the €90 is for??????? Unbelievable.

Rant over........ :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's a registration fee which entitles you to claim mortgage interest relief on your tax returns and are compliant with the legal requirement to register. €15 as a premium for actually using their services doesn't seem extortionate IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

OP if you are feeling frustrated and annoyed with them now I would hate to think what you will be feeling in 18 months when you're still waiting for your case to be heard.
    I have a case with them that has been going on for three years now. It is impossible to comprehend how inefficient they are.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    It's a registration fee which entitles you to claim mortgage interest relief on your tax returns and are compliant with the legal requirement to register.
    This is not true as even if you are not claiming mortgage interest relief the fee must still be paid. It is basically a tax on Landlords more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    OP if you are feeling frustrated and annoyed with them now I would hate to think what you will be feeling in 18 months when you're still waiting for your case to be heard.
    I have a case with them that has been going on for three years now. It is impossible to comprehend how inefficient they are.

This is not true as even if you are not claiming mortgage interest relief the fee must still be paid. It is basically a tax on Landlords more than anything else

Aww thanks alot Rig....... :D ya I've heard that they are soooo on their game. Is there any other way, could we bypass them and go to solicitor?

Honestly I was so mad when I seen the €15 fee, yes it's not huge money, but we spent €90 to register our sucmbag tenants. But it is Ireland afterall, and a huge part of is screaming "Are you surprised"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Aww thanks alot Rig....... :D ya I've heard that they are soooo on their game. Is there any other way, could we bypass them and go to solicitor?
    Unfortunately not. You must use the PRTB as the idea is to keep these cases out of the courts.
    Honestly I was so mad when I seen the €15 fee, yes it's not huge money, but we spent €90 to register our sucmbag tenants. But it is Ireland afterall, and a huge part of is screaming "Are you surprised"
    I thought it was €25 to lodge a dispute?
    Then when the tenant does not turn up at the hearing you will have to initiate enforcement proceedings which do have to go through the courts. This takes another good chunk of months/years on top of the time the PRTB has already wasted.

I found out the other day that after 4 years you have to reregister the tenant so another €90 for the PRTB for doing FA.

Ya I knew about the 4 year clause........ effing joke to be honest. It's bad when you walk into your house and see the the state it's been left in, it's worse when you have to deal with the PRTB and pay them €15 and then wait so long.

As a decent landlord (not a landlord by choice) it's just so tough. A friend just got his tenants out after 8 months. 8 months it took the PRTB to make a ruling, and all that time no rent was paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The LL has very little protection these days its all about the tenant.

beauf wrote: »
    The LL has very little protection these days its all about the tenant.

But sure we can afford it, we're making huge profits :rolleyes:

That was what my tenants stated when I tackled them about the 5 weeks rent due and €1000 worth of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

What about the small claims court...Not too sure if it covers rent owed and damage to property. It's really about time that landlords started protesting most are not landlords by choice just got in negative equity and then we are landed with taxes and fees on property that the banks own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Smalls claims court wont deal with a tenancy dispute unfortunately. Smalls claims wont deal with anything over €2000 either, which would rule out a lot of tenancy disputes Id imagine (a couple of months rent in a lot cases would exceed that limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Hate to put a dampener on it but if your tenants are gone you probably won't get any extra money off them to fix up the place, so save the €15 and years of anguish

What part of Ireland are you in? The reason I ask is that you could warn other letting agents about the tenants and make it difficult for them to rent. Did you received previous landlord references for the tenant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can someone tell me what the €90 is for?

Most of it goes into a fund that allows local authorities to do property inspections. Recent inspections in Cabra / North Circular road area in Dublin found a huge number of properties to be defective.

Advertisement