Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win8 to Win7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You'll have trouble with drivers considering that model is designed for Windows 8, especially with that touch screen.

HP don't offer any support for drivers beyond Win 8 & Ubuntu for it.

Win 8 really isn't that different from 7 at all visually beyond the Metro theme which you could help adjust for her to more resemble it through some tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Like I said, she is not too pushed about the touchscreen, would that be the only issue? I know Win7 has some touch support but like you said, I guess it the hardware is build for Win8. Its not just metro, its the fact that some many things will only download as apps instead of programs. Even just general navigation is a pain, with switching between programs etc. Its all keyboard shortcuts now. Even had to install the start button again. I cant honestly say I know anyone who is happy with Win8.

Sorry if lots of that was Engrish, Im tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

segasega wrote: »
    So, my friend wants to downgrade her machine from Win 8 to Win 7. She has tried her best to get used to Win 8, but its just not happening for her. Its slowing down her work and she just wants out now.

Win8 is shiney - but I find it slows down real work for me too. The free app ClassicShell helped a lot - makes it look like XP again :)

That Win7 price looks too good to be true though - about a third of Amazon - possibly dodgy.

Not sure exactly if its the same as you will get - but this buyer here describes the disc he got from that same German seller (for 60 uk pounds) turned out in fact to be a Dell Re-installtion CD:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/69491-63-dell-windows-legal-sell

Also - some PCs come with a licence for a free downgrade to windows 7 - so you may be able to do it for free.
    See here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5974318/downgrade-your-new-windows-8-computer-to-windows-7-for-free

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I take it, it will be a german version of Win 7

0JWjWrc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Like I said, she is not too pushed about the touchscreen, would that be the only issue? I know Win7 has some touch support but like you said, I guess it the hardware is build for Win8. Its not just metro, its the fact that some many things will only download as apps instead of programs. Even just general navigation is a pain, with switching between programs etc. Its all keyboard shortcuts now. Even had to install the start button again. I cant honestly say I know anyone who is happy with Win8.

Sorry if lots of that was Engrish, Im tired.

I've installed start8 and get none of the issues she's having. http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ There is no need to go back to Window7. There are options to easily fix it.

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Win8 is shiney - but I find it slows down real work for me too. The free app ClassicShell helped a lot - makes it look like XP again :)

That Win7 price looks too good to be true though - about a third of Amazon - possibly dodgy.

Not sure exactly if its the same as you will get - but this buyer here describes the disc he got from that same German seller (for 60 uk pounds) turned out in fact to be a Dell Re-installtion CD:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/69491-63-dell-windows-legal-sell

Also - some PCs come with a licence for a free downgrade to windows 7 - so you may be able to do it for free.
    See here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5974318/downgrade-your-new-windows-8-computer-to-windows-7-for-free

Thanks for the info about the dell disc, very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tell her to try with classicshell and see how she gets on as I use it all the time now and don't notice much difference between 7 and it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    You'll have trouble with drivers considering that model is designed for Windows 8, especially with that touch screen.

HP don't offer any support for drivers beyond Win 8 & Ubuntu for it.

Win 8 really isn't that different from 7 at all visually beyond the Metro theme which you could help adjust for her to more resemble it through some tweaks.

Most Windows 8 drivers will work fine with Windows 7. The touch screen may be an issue though. I would really think twice about shelling out over €100 for a proper Windows 7 license (*not sure if the German one is legit or not), Windows 8 with Start8 or Classic Shell is the exact same as 7 really, except faster to boot as well as having various other useful tweaks. You don't need to use the metro UI and Windows 8.1 will allow you to "boot to desktop" on start up as well as making the metro UI easier and more efficient to navigate. My 2cs anyways.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Touch devices may not work with Windows 7. They may, but its not assured. Microsoft puts the Windows 8 certified logo on things you know. Like if you buy a touchscreen monitor for a desktop, its Windows 8 certified and it is only assured to work with hardware that is also windows 8 certified. In all likelihood though, thats just a level of dummy protection though so when computards ring up and complain about something not working the tech in india can call them stupid because its not 8 certified.

Ye, weighing up the options she is just going to stick with Win8. Think 8.1 will help much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ye, weighing up the options she is just going to stick with Win8. Think 8.1 will help much?

wont know for sure til next month - but it doesnt look to be a full reintroduction of the start menu.

Try classicshell or start8 as suggested til then. Both are great.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

That Win7 from pcfritz was legit. They dont do it anymore though, probably out of stock. I got one off them and its working perfectly.

Jacovs wrote: »
    That Win7 from pcfritz was legit. They dont do it anymore though, probably out of stock. I got one off them and its working perfectly.

Might be hit and miss so.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jacovs wrote: »
    That Win7 from pcfritz was legit.

The fact that the key worked doesn't mean the software was legit. Selling (Dell) OEM windows software on its own is illegal. My guess is that MS spotted it and told pcfritz to immediately stop that activity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There's still this for €41. If you download the W7 trial you can activate it with the key they email you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-License/dp/B00ADKZHEG/ref=sr_1_7?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1375886022&sr=1-7#productDescription

Advertisement