Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boots for Astro and Grass?

• 27-08-2013 6:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Getting back into playing a bit of footy and need a new pair of boots, we play mainly on astro but was thinking I'd be better off getting a pair that would be ok to play on grass too. It's just once every couple of weeks so nothing mad serious and playing on grass will be even rarer. Had a quick look and these were recommended: http://store.nike.com/ie/en_gb/pd/tiempo-mystic-iv-ag-football-boot/pid-709318/pgid-746477

I think the "AG" in the model is the important part, they look the job but just wondering if anyone has seen them in any sports shops around Dublin? I'd rather this colour too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBy9wiytTLg

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pro Direct Soccer is your friend, wide variety of boots and all it very good prices, I've gotten my last few pairs off them with no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Plastic studs will be accepted on Astro & grass, be carefull because differant Astro's have differant rules as to what footwear you can have on. Plastic studs generally fine on either.

No steel studs, moulds or blades on most Astro.

TBH - I find the studs ok but much rather having a pair of Astro runners just for the astro, better grip and a good pair of steel studs for the grass because the plastic ones in bad weather don't have great grip. You'll find a good pair online of both cheap/on sale.

Also look at the summe sales in shops, I picked up a pair f Astro runners for €20 last year and boots for €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks folks, I think I'm not too sure the difference of them all, will probably just go with the Tiempo ones I linked to to be on the safe side. Are they "plastic" studs on them? The astro boots I have now have loads more little rubbery studs but probably wouldn't grip grass as well as the Tiempo ones.

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I think I'm not too sure the difference of them all, will probably just go with the Tiempo ones I linked to to be on the safe side. Are they "plastic" studs on them? The astro boots I have now have loads more little rubbery studs but probably wouldn't grip grass as well as the Tiempo ones.

If your tempos are similar to the below, they'll be useless on grass, for grass I'd get a proper pair of boots as outlined by a poster above.

nike-tiempo-natural-iii-tf-mens-astro-turfs.jpg

If you meant your boots are similar to these, you'd get away with them on astros and pitches, just let the guys your playing astro with know that you're wearing them and dont stand on them. pac:

great-new-puyol-nike-tiempo-mystic-iv-ag-kanga-lite-white-green-blade-football-boots.jpg

Weird, I'm getting a malicious url blocked popup on this page now, I think it must be to do with the link you posted? I can't see the 2nd pair you mention. But if you look at the tiempo I link to in the first post, you'll see the studs are a lot more prominent so would be better on grass than the ones with a lot more smaller bumps.

• Advertisement

Weird, I just Goggled imaged Tempos and picked one of the 1st ones that came up. :confused:

Anyway, the 2nd pair are the AG variation of the Tempo's that you could get away with on Astro, I've the Adidas F50 equivalent and I use them on Astro and on Grass if the ground is hard and have not had problems with either really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Weird, I'm getting a malicious url blocked popup on this page now, I think it must be to do with the link you posted? I can't see the 2nd pair you mention. But if you look at the tiempo I link to in the first post, you'll see the studs are a lot more prominent so would be better on grass than the ones with a lot more smaller bumps.

It depends on what the weather is like though. As you're living in Ireland, it'll rain almost every day. The ground is bound to get soggy and you'll have no grip at all. You'll need proper studs for that.

This isn't really what you want but I'd recommend three purchases; a cheap-ish pair of astro runners, Copa Mundials for hard ground and Puma Kings for the soft ground.

The Copa Mundials will be the best purchase you make. Worth every penny.

I don't know how far you'll get with those Tiempos. The 'studs' don't look particularly great.

Ah yeah, the AG ones are the same I linked to in the first post. I can't see any AG ones of the F50 though so not sure which ones you mean? There's so many out there it's a bit confusing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

just be careful buying plastic studs for playing on astro. you are highly liable to get a punch in the jaw for standing on someones foot.

Havent played on a pitch to date where they are acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Can never go wrong with Copa Mundials.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, the AG ones are the same I linked to in the first post. I can't see any AG ones of the F50 though so not sure which ones you mean? There's so many out there it's a bit confusing..

Like these, I think they're called AG TRX on the Adidas sites, they're very rubbery moulds, very similar to the AG Nike Tempos, I've never seen them in shops but you canget them online no problem but again, some people on Astro turf pitches can complain when the see the sight of studs so maybe explain what they are first and see if theres no problem with the people you're playing with and if they're allowed on the pitch in the first place.

soccer-sneakers-adidas-f50-adizero-trx-ag-leather-micoach-bundle-in-red-yellow-white.jpg

listermint wrote: »
    just be careful buying plastic studs for playing on astro. you are highly liable to get a punch in the jaw for standing on someones foot.

Havent played on a pitch to date where they are acceptable.

Are the AG Tiempo and ones Gav linked to above considered plastic and a punchable offence? They are designed for Astro, no?

Will check out the other ones mentioned too, thanks everyone.

Actually as outlined above with the studs on astro, the astro I play on will accept plastic studs as it's 3G grass but if any of the lads turn up to our games in studs we'll ask them to change to astro runners either there and then or if they come up again otherwise they won't play.

Too many arguements and lads getting injured from being stud on with the studs. The Astro runners don't give the same protection against studs over the top that normal 'grass' boots do.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Actually as outlined above with the studs on astro, the astro I play on will accept plastic studs as it's 3G grass but if any of the lads turn up to our games in studs we'll ask them to change to astro runners either there and then or if they come up again otherwise they won't play.

Too many arguements and lads getting injured from being stud on with the studs. The Astro runners don't give the same protection against studs over the top that normal 'grass' boots do.

Disagree. The way boots have gone these days a pair of slippers offers more protection.

Disagree. The way boots have gone these days a pair of slippers offers more protection.

Depends on the boots though, if you euy a pair of fancy fairy boots then yeah. If you buy a decent pair of hard wearing one's then they certainly protect more than Astro runners. At least mine anyway, I have the Itouch Astro runners, fantastic grip and control but very little protection because of the material over the top on Astro they fine but on grass I'll always go for hard wearing quality over really light boots in purple etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP but I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I was looking at these.
    http://goo.gl/0O1f1c

47742.jpg

47742.jpg

I have Adidas Predators that cost a fair bit and I'd like to keep them for playing on grass and maybe get those Umbro ones for astro and for coaching.

Would those Umbro ones be accepted on astro?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have Adidas Predators that cost a fair bit and I'd like to keep them for playing on grass and maybe get those Umbro ones for astro and for coaching.

Would those Umbro ones be accepted on astro?

Depends where you play. I wore a pair of Nike boots with similar studs before and I was stopped once about it. Told him I didn't know and continued on. They are absolutely wrecked now though just on the instep from kicking the ball and connecting with the hard ground.

Don't get a nice fancy multicoloured pair if you're playing on one of those new 3G pitches with the black bits of rubber. They'll turn black themselves after the first session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Depends where you play. I wore a pair of Nike boots with similar studs before and I was stopped once about it. Told him I didn't know and continued on. They are absolutely wrecked now though just on the instep from kicking the ball and connecting with the hard ground.

Don't get a nice fancy multicoloured pair if you're playing on one of those new 3G pitches with the black bits of rubber. They'll turn black themselves after the first session.

I've never had any issue but I've only ever been on astro in a handful of locations. I don't think any girls I play with are even aware that they might be turned away on astro. Our club has new astro that hasn't been opened yet but I imagine they'd be catering for football boots.

Yeah my white adidas boots went black on astro in Clondalkin. Went for black after that and I'm sticking with that.

Thanks folks, The copa's look nice alright but I'm not going to spend that much only to be told I can't wear them when I show up. I think I'll probably just stick with the nike tiempo AG's. There's some similar looking Adidas ones here too: http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/adidas-Football-Boots-adidas-Nitrocharge-30-TRX-AG-Artificial-Grass-Soccer-Cleats-BlackMetallic-SilverElectricity-62011.aspx?spr=1

The tiempo ag's look like they'll offer at least some grip on grass. I only play once every odd week so buying 3 pairs would be a bit overkill :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Those Nike AG (artificial grass) soles are perfect for astro and 3G pitches... Was doing a bit of research recently on the same subject and ended up buying these:

46189.jpg

Nike CTR360 Trequirista AG... Excellent boot. Very comfy and great grip on astro. Could wear them no bother on a hard summer grass pitch too. The soles have rubber "studs", but they are well placed and give coverage along the whole foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Actually, the Nike factory store in blanchardstown has them in stock... Worth checking out

Glad to hear that, these are due to be delivered on Tuesday: http://store.nike.com/nl/en_gb/pd/tiempo-mystic-iv-ag-football-boot/pid-752647/pgid-423302

:)

Advertisement