Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

room sealed stove

• 27-08-2013 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

it is clear that there is a difference between room sealed and a stove with external air.

can anyone recommend a room sealed stove?

i understand that a stove with external air but is not room sealed still uses air from the room for combustion???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockabaloo

There is a good list of partially and totally room sealed stoves here - http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/direct-air-supply-stoves.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

there is NO SUCH THING as a room sealed stove - if it has a door on it then it cannot be classified as room sealed (what happens if you fail to close the door properly !!)

hence its not possible to get a cert as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockabaloo

"Stoves that can be connected to an external air supply........Total, where all of the combustion air is supplied through the duct."

So no combustion air is taken from the room (while the door remains shut, which it does while the stove is in operation).

Check with who is going to certify your building and ensure they are happy with your proposal and the advice set out in part j and f

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

apparently yes - room sealed stove is absolutely required in an air tight house.

The stove uses all external air for combustion.NO air from the room is used for combustion.

therefore if the HRV system breaks down or if there is a powercut the stove can happily burn away on the external air only and not use room air.

IF it used room air and the HRV wasnt working, the house could be drained of its oxygen - not a good scenario....

any thoughts....??????????

• Advertisement

So I used a http://morso.co.uk/product/morso-5660/

Other brands of stove might be ok too

I agree with your comments - this whole topic caused me no end of headaches

As I say no stove is room sealed but some are dame close when the door is closed

In Germany the connect the hrv to the stove door and reduce/power it off when the door is open. Plus the have a differential switch to ensure the house does not depressurise

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Ros1234

fclauson wrote: »
    So I used a http://morso.co.uk/product/morso-5660/

Other brands of stove might be ok too

I agree with your comments - this whole topic caused me no end of headaches

As I say no stove is room sealed but some are dame close when the door is closed

In Germany the connect the hrv to the stove door and reduce/power it off when the door is open. Plus the have a differential switch to ensure the house does not depressurise

Hi fclausen,

I'm building at the moment and we're putting in 2 stoves, really like the morso brand, who supplied yere's and did they install it as well?

Please PM the cost if not able to do on the main message.

Thnaks,

See picture for install

EDIT: its special - it can work when its 90 degrees on to the wall !!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

folks,

i wonder is it ok to install a stove with external air pipe but is NOT room sealed?

IF the heat recovery system was to go on the blink i assume the fire would use the air from the external air pipe for combustion. the external air pipe is connected directly into the rear of the stove.

one could also put a carbon monoxide alarm directly over the stove as an extra precaution.

any thoughts....????

that would work - but you have to make sure who ever is signing off is happy with it - compliance is the space is rigorous for a reason as CO kills silently, without odour , smell or warning

• Advertisement
Advertisement