Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to prove rent paid without receipts for mortgage

Options
  • 27-08-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Been living in a house for over 2 years now and never been late with the rent. No formal agreement, just deposit the money in the LL's account type of thing. LL is sound, real easygoing etc, so no bother. Now we are looking to buy a property and the bank needs proof of rent paid. I was with BOI and they could never get the online deposit working for us, so I just went to his bank and deposited each month. The problem is I only have 3 or 4 receipts and some of them are not even in the last 6 months. I've since moved bank last month and had no problems paying online, but only have the one receipt.

I don't think LL would have a prob writing a letter saying we paid each month, but what are some other options to secure pre-approval? We are looking for less than 90K.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Get a rent book and ask the landlord to fill it out for you. That may be adequate along with your lease.
    Your bank statements should show the withdrawal of the rental amount each month too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 housenewbie

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Get a rent book and ask the landlord to fill it out for you. That may be adequate along with your lease.
    Your bank statements should show the withdrawal of the rental amount each month too??

Should the book be back dated? And I usually took the rent out in €200+ segments through out the month and then deposited. There was rarely a €600 withdrawal.

I know I should have kept the receipts but we really didn't think we would have been able to even look at buying so it never crossed my mind, and we don't want this property to slip away without trying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sure ask him to back date it. It is just an acknowledgement of receipt of rent so it is not a lie

for example
    rent of €600 received on April 6 2012 Landlord signature

Or else a letter from the LL saying
    housenewbie has lived in the property {address} since {move in date} until present at a rent of €600 per month and has always paid and so on and so forth.
    This along with a lease, PRTB letter, your bank statements may be adequate

Now whether the bank accept this as valid evidence is anyones guess but it is better than nothing.

There is no lease, but maybe the letter and the back dated book will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Usually lenders will only accept evidence of payment of rent if paid by standing order or bank transfer. Legally you should have a lease, a rent book and the property should be registered with the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd explain to yiur landlord & ask him to get a few different pens & write receipts out for you .

Tbh it sounds a bit iffy that you never took the rent out from your account in a single sum on a particular day to pay into his /her account thou .

Just for a follow up, we went to a broker (with the rent book) and he said that we didn't even have a chance without the electric transfer of funds to the landlord account. Rent books, receipts, etc don't even make a blip on their radar he said and he recently had another family that had all of the receipts, rent book, all of the household utilities and they were still denied by 4 banks. :-( So just direct deposit from now on.

Advertisement