Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from iPhone to wp8-tips & advice?

• 27-08-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Any tips or advice to make the move a bit easier would be appreciated, although part of the fun of a new device is the figuring out!

Thanks
    Able

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

make sure to spend lots of time bitching and moaning about not having Instagram :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

PaulieC wrote: »
    make sure to spend lots of time bitching and moaning about not having Instagram :D

6tag

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/6tag/7d795cdf-fb1b-4bdf-8f5e-76eb19f7079e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

the :D should have given it away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

ablelocks wrote: »
    Any tips or advice to make the move a bit easier would be appreciated, although part of the fun of a new device is the figuring out!

Thanks
    Able

What apps do you currently use on iPhone? I'll tell you if they are on WP or not, and if not offer alternatives.
    Any questions other then apps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Thanks
    Able

There's a transfer my data app which transfers your contacts from the iPhone via Bluetooth. Painless. Get connectivity shortcuts too, put tiles for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3G and air plane mode on the screen. Access to higher speed s on H and H+ has been great for me compared to being stuck on 3g on the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭ablelocks

mark_m360 wrote: »
    What apps do you currently use on iPhone? I'll tell you if they are on WP or not, and if not offer alternatives.
    Any questions other then apps?

Current apps - not too worried about these as my wife is getting the iphone so I'll still have access to anything that isn't on wp8 - these ones i use v. regularly tho'

Chrome
    Dots
    the Journal
    Flipboard
    Any.do and Cal
    Camera +
    Sky + and Go
    Tunein
    Dropbox
    Evernote (not using it as much recently)

I have my work email set to the Mail app and my personal is in the Gmail.

I assume the regular utilities like bluetooth and Wifi Hotspot all work fine.

Do I need to upgrade the OS - will I be prompted or do I have to go searching for one?

Integration with Skydrive/Office and Xbox - I assume this works quite well?

Do I need invisible shield - I've always had on on my phones - or a case?

Charging Plate - where to get one for cheap - are there compatible 3rd party devices?

thanks for the help - I'm on hols so haven't had much time to do the research. Phone arrives on Friday so will be setting it up over the weekend.

is the new update for the 920 also available for the 820?

The new update is available across Lumia's. However, it is a gradual rollout up to the end of September. So yes it will hit the 820.

The new update is available across Lumia's. However, it is a gradual rollout up to the end of September. So yes it will hit the 820.

great - i had done a check for updates but the phone says the version i have is the most uptodate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Yup. One of the guys at work has a 820 and got it. It is still rolling out though.

gradually getting used to and really liking the 820. most accounts up and running, but I'm kinda stuck with xbox. The account I have on my 360 is under a different email address and is my gold account. Can i merge, link or use that account to sign into xbox services on the windows phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ablelocks wrote:
    gradually getting used to and really liking the 820. most accounts up and running, but I'm kinda stuck with xbox. The account I have on my 360 is under a different email address and is my gold account. Can i merge, link or use that account to sign into xbox services on the windows phone?
    You should be able to use the steps here to switch a gamertag to another Microsoft account. Thereby getting the Gamertag and your e-mail that you use on the phone on one account.

Hope that helps.

thanks fb - looks more complicated than it should need to be but I'll give it a go...

no sign of the update tho'

can anyone recommend a third party charging plate or should I just get the nokia one?

thanks fb - looks more complicated than it should need to be but I'll give it a go...

typical bloody MS - can't make it easy to associate accounts so it looks like I have to create a third dummy account and then wait 30 days? what a load of ****e -

does anyone know of an easier way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Hi there,
    I've just purchased the Samsung ATIV S for my own use, as I have an iPhone for work.

I'm having problems getting my contacts to copy from the iphone to the Samsung.
    I've tried using the Bluetooth method on the phone and whilst it appears to transfer the names, it doesn't transfer the actual phone numbers, all I see is Hotmail under the contact name.

I've heard it something to do with using iTunes to copy contacts and then some app to put contacts onto the Samsung??? Haven't a clue really
    Any help would be great as I don't fancy typing out all the contacts.

thanks again.

kildare75 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I've just purchased the Samsung ATIV S for my own use, as I have an iPhone for work.

I'm having problems getting my contacts to copy from the iphone to the Samsung.
    I've tried using the Bluetooth method on the phone and whilst it appears to transfer the names, it doesn't transfer the actual phone numbers, all I see is Hotmail under the contact name.

I've heard it something to do with using iTunes to copy contacts and then some app to put contacts onto the Samsung??? Haven't a clue really
    Any help would be great as I don't fancy typing out all the contacts.

thanks again.

Check this link out. Outlook syncs with iTunes no problem. Then just add your outlook account to your phone and all your contacts will be there.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5631494_copy-contacts-iphone-outlook.html

Check this link out. Outlook syncs with iTunes no problem. Then just add your outlook account to your phone and all your contacts will be there.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5631494_copy-contacts-iphone-outlook.html

hi again, when I click on the sync contacts with bit all I can pick from is windows or google contacts ? no mention of outlook,
    sorry again

kildare75 wrote: »
    hi again, when I click on the sync contacts with bit all I can pick from is windows or google contacts ? no mention of outlook,
    sorry again

Well Outlook is from Microsoft which makes Windows. So I would click Windows and see where it leads you.

Well Outlook is from Microsoft which makes Windows. So I would click Windows and see where it leads you.

yes got the name of the contacts onto the phone, but where there should be a number all I see is the words either, Hotmail or live, and nothing else..

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement