Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosed anyone know what happening here?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Tried to log onto a website last week, and this message came up. Am using iPad.

Error 522
    Connection timed out

You
    Browser
    Working

Ashburn
    CloudFlare
    Working

www.politics.ie
    Host
    Error

This has been going on for a week. Using Chrome, so tried Digi browser, and Safari. Nothing.

Safari gives me a screen shot of a page, and judging by the messages it is working for others (time and date of recent posts visible). Message on screenshot says website is offline.

I just can't figure it out. Maybe someone would log onto politics.ie for me and see if it works, or maybe have a solution!

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you using a third party DNS provider on the iPad (possibly for streaming related use)? Does the site work on any other machines in your house (phone/laptops etc.). Who is your internet provider?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using a third party DNS provider on the iPad (possibly for streaming related use)? Does the site work on any other machines in your house (phone/laptops etc.). Who is your internet provider?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Am not using third party DNS, as far as I know! Would I have had to do something specific to do that? All I have is Netflix, and I don't stream anything, just use iTunes store etc. (apologies, am not very tech savvy, hence asking the people here, like yourself)

The site doesn't work on my phone either. BUT, I just tried 3G, and turned of wi fi, and it worked on the phone!

eircom Broadband is the supplier. So any further suggestions? Looks like using the broadband Wi fi might be a problem. No other sites affected, only the one mentioned.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi Nick,

Am not using third party DNS, as far as I know! Would I have had to do something specific to do that? All I have is Netflix, and I don't stream anything, just use iTunes store etc. (apologies, am not very tech savvy, hence asking the people here, like yourself)

The site doesn't work on my phone either. BUT, I just tried 3G, and turned of wi fi, and it worked on the phone!

eircom Broadband is the supplier. So any further suggestions? Looks like using the broadband Wi fi might be a problem. No other sites affected, only the one mentioned.

Thanks again.

It could be your broadband supplier is the issue. Especially as the issue is mirrored across different devices. My advice would be to contact politics.ie and let them know the issue first, though, as your IP address may have been purposely blocked previously. It could be CloudFlare is blocking it as it was previously used by an IP banned user.
    You could try turning off your Eircom modem for 5 minutes, powering back on and seeing if the issue still exists. Eircom generally provide you with a new IP address when you do this. Also worth clearing the browsers cache on the ipad

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 24 diwit

if you try to access it from the google cache, does it work?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aW_FVFxWQmAJ:www.politics.ie/+&cd=1&hl=es&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

in this case, it is google who is requesting the site, ant not eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thank you Nick and Diwit.

I was away and only back. I turned off the wifi for a few minutes in settings, and re connected there. It is now working fine.

I haven't a clue what was going on. Thanks for your suggestions, they worked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement