Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr elsey's kitten litter in Dublin

• 27-08-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, a new kitten owner here. :P

I got a 6-week kitten last weekend and have been trying to encourage him to use the litter tray but he's having none of it. He pooped once on the floor and last night on one of the jumpers on the clothes horse :-( and peed on the bedsheets.

I tried the put-the-kitten-in-the-litterbox-and-scratch-the-litter trick but he's having none of it - he just jumps straight out of the littertray.

I saw on google that Dr Elsey's kitten attract litter works for kittens. Does anybody know where I can find this in Dublin? Tried to look it up online but seems like none of them stock it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm more of a dog person than a cat one, although I am owned by 2 cats, but 6 weeks is very young for a kitten to be off by himself, so I'm not sure than any litter will work yet, I guess usually the kitten would learn from the mother. Where did you get the kitten? If from a rescue, maybe ask them?

Maybe when he does poop, put a bit of it in the litter tray, so that he learns to associate that place with the smell, and learns thats where he's meant to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Yeah he is still a little baby so I understand that he's still trying to learn and I don't mind cleaning after him at all. It's just he likes to climb up the clothes horse and use that as a toilet, the little cheeky monster! Other than that, he's a very happy and confident little boy - playing and jumping around everywhere and eats very well too. :-)

I got the kitten from some family out in the country who didn't want more kittens - they already have a couple cats and wanted to give the kittens a better chance at life.

Anybody else have an experience with Dr. Elsey's kitten attract litter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Never heard of it tbh. Have you considered trying soil/compost? If his mum is from Country maybe he watched his mum digging in garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Problem with kittens that age is that they have very small bladder and little control and a litter tray in another room (or even on the other side of a room) might as well be in another country.

You also need to ensure that you use an appropiate enzym (or similar) cleaner to remove the pee protein (normal cleaners don't remove them) to ensure the smell of the spot goes away or they will keep on coming back...

Finally consider to close areas in that you don't want them to go unless you're there to supervise (you can usually spot once they are getting ready and take them to the litter tray to pee/poo in there instead). We ended up with having smaller litters in every room and they still peed at the wrong spots at times; it's simply due to age.

He was a house kitten - never been outside - and they had a litter box with newspaper in them where they went for loo.

I showed him how to dig with his two front paws and he was doing it (when I had his paws in my hands) but as soon as I stopped, he jumped out of the litter tray. :-(

• Advertisement

Ah didnt know you needed a special cleaner to clean the piss. Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Cats can be very fussy about cat litter. Our latest arrival, a 2 year old male was happy to use Cats best litter which is made from corn husks and is flushable too. I ordered Worlds best by mistake recently, which is basically wood pellets and he'll only use the litter tray if he doesn't want to go out in the rain to the garden.

With a kitten I've heard that clumping litter can be a problem and if I were you I'd have a look at online reviews of cat litter on Zooplus.ie, see what peoples experiences are before you buy. As for urine cleaning I use Fizzion which I bought on Ebay, Amazon wouldn't deliver it to Ireland:rolleyes: Biological washing powder/liquid is good for clothes and machine washable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

JaneeMack wrote: »
    Ah didnt know you needed a special cleaner to clean the piss. Thanks for that!

I find any bio washing powder, or liquid, does a good job on cleaning up and getting rid of any smell.

As for your kitten using the litter tray perseverance is the key. Keep taking them to the tray after feeding - they soon get the idea.

Update on this - I rubbed his anus (did this for a couple days) with a warm cloth and he did it on the littertray yesterday!! I'm so happy - absolutely over the moon :-) Thanks y'all for all the tips!

Advertisement