Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance for kittens & Vets

• 27-08-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody have a pet insurance for their kittens/cats?

I'm thinking of registering considering the cost of vaccination, neutering and all the other stuff that needs vet's attention.

I see that it costs around 150 euros a year - is it worth getting a pet insurance considering the vet visits or is it doable without the insurance?

Also, can somebody recommend a reasonable vet in Dublin?

Thanks and a big meow to y'all! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

JaneeMack wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody have a pet insurance for their kittens/cats?

I did for my cat and it cost €9/mth. There are arguments for and against it, as some people prefer to save the money themselves. I kept it up as I've seen too many people traumatised by huge surgical bills. My cat had mild hip dysplasia and a luxating patella (post taking out the policy) so i figured if he ever needed surgery in the future it would be worth it.
    wrote:
    I'm thinking of registering considering the cost of vaccination, neutering and all the other stuff that needs vet's attention.

As far as I'm aware routine things like neutering and vaccinations are not covered in any policy.
    wrote:
    I see that it costs around 150 euros a year - is it worth getting a pet insurance considering the vet visits or is it doable without the insurance?

Tbh you might never need to use your insurance ever (fingers crossed) and therefore might think you have wasted your money. BUT, if you do need it believe me it's worth it. Vet bills for many conditions and surgical procedures can be astronomical, even for a cat so for me it was always my safety net for the future. Read ALL the T & Cs of every policy though and make sure you're happy with the excess (mine was €150) aswell as preexisiting conditions they won't cover etc.
    wrote:
    Also, can somebody recommend a reasonable vet in Dublin?
    Have recommended him many times on here and to friends. Denis Shannon Bull Wall, Clontarf is brilliant and an excellent cat vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Oh I didn't know that they don't cover neutering and vaccinations - will defo have to read up on the T&C's of them all.

Thanks for the tips - excellent advice. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My cat actually died there a few weeks back but was in ICU in UCD for almost 24hrs. I can't tell you the relief I felt knowing i had my pet insurance to fall back on and all i had to pay was €150 excess. As I said until you need it you won't appreciate the comfort it will give you knowing you won't have to potentially find €1000 for a massive bill you weren't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Aww sorry to hear about your cat. :(

Will defo look into the pet insurance - seems like it will be one of the 3 major ones in the market anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sorry to hear about your cat Anniehoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have our pet insurance with Allianz. We've been with them for a few years and haven't had any problems. We sign a form at the vets, pay our excess, which is 100 euro and the vet claims the rest from Allianz. Some insurers want you to pay the vet and make the claim afterwards. They do a discount if you have your pet microchipped, all 3 of ours are anyway, it gives great peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

JaneeMack wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that they don't cover neutering and vaccinations - will defo have to read up on the T&C's of them all.

Thanks for the tips - excellent advice. :-)

They won't cover anything routine at all, but will cover, depending on policy; accident, theft, and third party.

Advertisement