Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Terrors in Toddler

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of this in a toddler? He's 2yrs old and has been having these terrors for the past few weeks. Usually wakes up hysterical, drenched in sweat at 11ish. I lift him, hug and soothe him and he's usually ok to go back asleep after a few mins.

I've tried going in to his room and making a bit of noise to rouse him out of the sleep (not wake him) a bit around 10.30 but this doesn't work.

Any one here have advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

My little girl had the same , exactly as you decrisbed , around the same time of night too. It happened about 3 times a month from age of about 2 to 3 and eventually dwindled out and its been at least a year since she had one now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

my daughter gets them on occasion, she used get them more frequently when she was younger but since we bought her a night light and they haven't been as bad,
    does he have a light on in his room?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Has anyone any experience of this in a toddler? He's 2yrs old and has been having these terrors for the past few weeks. Usually wakes up hysterical, drenched in sweat at 11ish. I lift him, hug and soothe him and he's usually ok to go back asleep after a few mins.

I've tried going in to his room and making a bit of noise to rouse him out of the sleep (not wake him) a bit around 10.30 but this doesn't work.

Any one here have advice?

Any idea what he might be dreaming about? I know our lad had a zombie fixation for a while. He'd wake up in bits like that, but he was older and was verbal enough to tell us.

In the end the hairdresser sorted it out for us. She told him that she knows of a good way of keeping them away, and that's by keeping a teaspoon under your pillow. So we all slept with teaspoons under our pillow for a week and he got over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our fella went through them from around 18 months. He's 2.5 now and hasn't had one for about 3 months (touch wood!).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

He's having them every single night tho - very intense :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Very distressing to watch OP. He may not remember them in the morning. How often are they happening? If it's a few times a night Id chat to the doc..but for now have a think about what might be causing them?

Did he see anything scary like zombies or scary dogs or anything? It mightnt be 'scary' to you as such but maybe encourage him to articulate through chat or drawing what he is scared of.

Often anxieties in everyday life can trigger these (new room, new school, a bereavement, new baby, parents fighting, change in routine etc) so be mindful of that. Anything happen?

Stay calm and soothe him though the terrors, as you are doing already.
    No fun to watch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

This may be zero help but I'll say it anyway.
    When I have wrapped myself up too warm in the bed, I have a bad nightmare which I'm thinking is my way of waking myself up so that I strip off some blankets etc. I'd be drowned in sweat as well.

My one year old isn't dissimilar. Twice in the past two months he has woken up screaming all of a sudden and when I went into him he was drowned in sweat. I'd remove some covers/part of pj's etc and he'd be fine once settled back. I had accidentally put him to bed with too much on him.

Only reason I say this is you mentioned sweat so I'm wondering is he overheating a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Mink wrote: »
    This may be zero help but I'll say it anyway.
    When I have wrapped myself up too warm in the bed, I have a bad nightmare which I'm thinking is my way of waking myself up so that I strip off some blankets etc. I'd be drowned in sweat as well.

My one year old isn't dissimilar. Twice in the past two months he has woken up screaming all of a sudden and when I went into him he was drowned in sweat. I'd remove some covers/part of pj's etc and he'd be fine once settled back. I had accidentally put him to bed with too much on him.

Only reason I say this is you mentioned sweat so I'm wondering is he overheating a bit?

No I wouldn't say he's over heating its purely from the terrors he's having. I check on him throughout the night and he's fine it's just when he has a night terror that he's drowned in sweat

Advertisement