Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Cat to Apartment - Advice needed

• 27-08-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, I have a 3 year old female cat, currently living in a house where she has free access to roam outdoors when she needs. For personal reasons I am moving into a two bed apartment (only temporarily for about 5 months, following this we'll be back in a house or someone with outdoor access), the apartment is on the third floor. I am wondering will she adjust ok? From the threads I have read most people say as long as she has toys, litter tray, food etc and company in the evening's she'll be ok. What is your opinion? Also, I assume I will still have to keep her in (i.e. no balcony access) for first week or so, I am petrified that when I let her out on the balcony that she might fall or jump off after a bird or something!!! Is this just plain silly or should I be cautious of this?

I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd not let her out on the balcony; if you stayed there permanently I could see a case for it (with suitable nets or similar) but for 5 months don't bother.

She should be fine in the apartment but expect her to be looking at going out in hallway etc. down the line (may not happen due to 5 months limit though) but as long as she got toys, access to windows to look out (important as this gives a great feel of space and ownership for cats) she should be fine. If you're up for it consider putting up a bird feeder outside a window that she can access; it's a great way to provide kitty tv.

Oh and be very careful with opening windows (even only partly or tilted at the top) as cats are known to jump out through them even if the owner thinks "it impossible".

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Caip79

Thanks Nody but it's impractical not to open the balcony door and/or windows as she will be able to get out on the balcony from the window. The balcony is off the kitchen and as such gets very warm and is the only fresh air into the apartment, do you think if she had access she could try and jump and/or fall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Caip79 wrote: »
    . I am wondering will she adjust ok? From the threads I have read most people say as long as she has toys, litter tray, food etc and company in the evening's she'll be ok. What is your opinion?

You're dead right, with enough to occupy her mentally inside she will adjust just fine. If notice any stress related behaviour e.g excessive grooming or urinating in odd places, you could introduce the Feliway system to calm her.
    wrote:
    Also, I assume I will still have to keep her in (i.e. no balcony access) for first week or so, I am petrified that when I let her out on the balcony that she might fall or jump off after a bird or something!!! Is this just plain silly or should I be cautious of this? .
    No it's not silly at all to be worried about the balcony, my cat fell off it twice when he was younger, the second time luxating his patella. He grew too big to fit through the bars then so I never cat proofed it. But, you can get special balcony netting or buy some fencing from your local hardware shop that you can temporarily fix with cable ties to the balcony railings. It will be relatively inexpensive, easy to assemble and take down and also means you can give her access to it without worrying. I'm of the opposite opinion to Nody and actually would let her on it as cat proofing isnt difficult or expensive and she'd love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks Nody but it's impractical not to open the balcony door and/or windows as she will be able to get out on the balcony from the window. The balcony is off the kitchen and as such gets very warm and is the only fresh air into the apartment, do you think if she had access she could try and jump and/or fall?
    Intentionally? Not really; due to being scared by a sound/noise/rain/deciding to take a walk about/excited chasing a fly/bird/what ever? Oh yes I've seen it over multiple locations, families and cats with varying degrees of damage from it.

If you need to have them open get a fitted bug net (they are quite cheap) to block with. They will not take a charging cat's full weight usually but they will block the idea in most cases which is enough.

Thanks guys - in terms of netting the bottom and surrounds, that's fine. What about in terms of the top of the balcony? It's only about 1 metre high so realistically she could jump on top of it and walk and/or or sit on it. This is what I'm afraid of but I guess in time she'll get use to the height and realise it's not safe. I mean if she tries to jump off the third floor there's not a whole lot I can do really is there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Most apartments don't allow pets. Does yours? If they don't you don't want to allow the cat on the balcony where it will be seen. Take the cat for a walk when you get in in the evening - it may look a bit odd but it can be done

Extend the mesh upwards, higher than the balcony railing itself eg.
    zkih.jpg

Be aware though that Management companies can be very strict on what is allowed on balconies, so this needs to be as discrete as possible so either the Mgt company or your neighbours don't complain.

Thanks guys - in terms of netting the bottom and surrounds, that's fine. What about in terms of the top of the balcony? It's only about 1 metre high so realistically she could jump on top of it and walk and/or or sit on it. This is what I'm afraid of but I guess in time she'll get use to the height and realise it's not safe. I mean if she tries to jump off the third floor there's not a whole lot I can do really is there!!
    If you can fit a net to point in at a 45 degree angle for about 30cm length that will prevent her from jumping up.

No the apartment's don't allow pets but am on the top floor facing a green area so she won't be seen. Also the apartment below me has recently introduced a dog! I would be mortified walking a cat around on a lead, also I wouldn't see the point in bringing her outside unless she was free to roam which isn't the case.

AnnieHoo thanks a million, that's a great idea extending the mesh higher up. Your pets look very happy!

• Advertisement

AnnieHoo thanks a million, that's a great idea extending the mesh higher up. Your pets look very happy!

They're not mine :D just googled an image to give you an idea of what can be done. Nodys idea of extending it inwards too would work aswell.

Thanks, and yes Nody's idea was very good too.

So the overall consensus is my cat will be ok yes?

Lastly will a scratching post stop her from scratching the new leather couch!?

Place it close to the leather couch; if she goes for it (can always happen) put on double sided tape were she wants to scratch for a few weeks (after a few weeks they learned not to scratch the couch and are unlikely to return to try again) and yes your cat will be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

No. Nor the door posts, chair legs etc.

So the overall consensus is my cat will be ok yes?
    Yes. Cats are perfect pets for an apartment.

Advertisement