Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert technology as new subject for repeating.

• 27-08-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I'm repeating the leaving cert this year as I did very little work during the past two years and only got 380. So I'm wondering if it would be wise to take up technology as a new subject to boost my points? I've only got 6 subjects which include ordinary level french and I reckon I can barely scrape 25 points from that. I'm stuck between technology and geography but would definitely enjoy the practical in technology.

I got an A2 in HL engineering and a B2 in construction (which I was expecting an A from). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 youtubeacademy

My only concern with such a practical heavy subject such as that is that you will have missed the 5th year practicals and likely will be unable to catch up on them. I amn't aware of the breakdown of the course but you may have to do a project. This will mean that you will only have a few weeks too catch up before you start your leaving cert project.
    A theory heavy subject like geography would give you much more time to catch up on the other students. Provided you work hard in Geography there is no reason you can't do as well as or better than people who did it for two years.
    Is there any ordinary level subjects you do that you could do at higher level? Remember that you only count your six best and this method could reduce the workload involved in taking up a new subject

• Registered Users Posts: 6 speechless

If Engineering and Construction are strong subjects for you the project side of Technology should suit you. The actual artefact is just worth 25% though, you have to produce a fairly detailed folio worth another 25% but the technology paper (50%) is handy enough and doesn't require a huge amount of study (we had no set book just notes from our teacher). Just beware though, the project can take up an enormous amount of time and a lot depends on how supportive your teacher is. We had to do a lot of extra classes to get ours finished but our teacher was cool, gave us a load of help and advice and time! (The written paper is the very last exam too, can be a pain but can also give you bit of time for last min. cramming!) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 looks like rain ted

hi could anybody help me out with this, i want to apply to sit the leaving cert maths but as an external candidate, can i choose to study at home? or will the school i choose to sit the test in make me enroll in one of their after school maths classes?
    thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

hi could anybody help me out with this, i want to apply to sit the leaving cert maths but as an external candidate, can i choose to study at home? or will the school i choose to sit the test in make me enroll in one of their after school maths classes?
    thanks

The school won't make you sit any classes. You're not really anything to do with them.
    External candidate entries usually open on the SEC site in January.

Advertisement