Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting up a Business

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm starting my own Carpentry business it's more custum built bookcases radcovers etc ,I'm going to use Google adverts and social media to help me get started any other ideas would help thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

egg209 wrote: »
    I'm starting my own Carpentry business it's more custum built bookcases radcovers etc ,I'm going to use Google adverts and social media to help me get started any other ideas would help thanks.

Don't go ploughing money into Google Adverts unless you know what you are doing. You would be far better off concentrating on getting your own website to rank organically in the major search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Casarina

I'd agree with Itsdacraic. Try and upskill through courses from your local Enterprise Board, join a business network such as BNI or any local network - there are lots of them around, depending on where you live. This will help get your name out locally. Remember to set a budget for your marketing efforts and stick to it, it won't be long disappearing. You can get a free website (if you don't mind a .com or .co, .eu) from www.gettingbusinessonline.ie - and hosting for a year too (Blacknight provide the free template and hosting). It's huge step to set up your own business - if you can do a Starting your own Business course - it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kendlebell

Join a network group. There are a number around such as BNI, Venture, Local Chamber etc. Personally I find BNI the best but it is up to the individual. IN the chapter I am in Trades do exceptionally well from referrals. Most network groups will allow you attend a couple of times before you are asked to join

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The free websites from the link above are very basic and dont look great - sure they are free but if you were going to spend money on Google Ads then you would be better initially putting the money into a nice website to showcase your work and then you work on social media to divert traffic to that and create awareness.

Have you approached any furniture shops or similar that would sell items like this and see if anyone is willing to partner up with you?

Doing a starting your own business course is a good idea as suggested above, your local enterprise board will be able to tell you details.

Do you have a premises or how are you showcasing your work to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

+1 on website first. You might be entitled to a grant from your local enterprise board or other advice as well.

Google or look up a company called Smart Storage. They make under stairs storage presses. Very close to your area. There might be a few pointers in what they have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 egg209

Thanks for the posts guys, I will have a chat with Enterprise Ireland to get started

Advertisement