Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5K Time Target (Make Turkey taste better)

Options
  • 27-08-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

I havent gotten into serious running but as my GAA career comes to a close (some say it never began) i'd like to get better and have done a series of 5K races but never at a decent time. I always thought that my youth and GAA training would bring me home in a respectable time but a PB of 28:30 just wont cut it.

Now it has been explained to me the specifics of training for such an event rather than blind running those more experienced than me have assured me that faster times are achievable just need to follow some structure and training plan.

I've come up with the below training regime so I will keep you updated with the progress. Any tweaks that people think should be included please let me know because we're looking for the best schedule.

With the GAA season drawing to a close in the coming weeks I should be getting some gentle runs in over the coming weeks before launching into the plan fully. The PB i have was set at my local ParkRun event so that is the race that I am targetting for my next PB shot. As I live near the event I am going to incorporate that race into my long run on the training weeks so at least I'll have practiced the course well before the PB attempt.

My concern is that coming into the winter time, weather problems and lack of adequate lighting may inhibit my training outdoors but I presume that training on the threadmill would suffice some bit? (Please share your thoughts with me on this)

Depending on the answer to the question above I may need to review the training but this is the initial plan for 10 weeks. Some insight into the plan would be that the long run is a target to get to as I know I wouldnt make that distance at present but if I follow that route I should be able to push myself further but also see the benefit of it. The interval run around the pitch is for a set distance and I will be able to do it in the evening as it is moderately lit at all times and it'll be a little private too. The tempo setup is to allow me to control the change in speeds as presently i only seem to have one gear and am not capable of upping the pace or slowing it down.

The gym time is in there to maintain strength for GAA over the winter and I think it'll probably help with the running anyway. One of those gym sessions on a tuesday is focused on legs and core completely.

Week 1

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 15 mins fast and 5 mins slow again - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (5 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Saturday - Long Run - Parkrun plus extra distance back home (Approx 10K)

Sunday - Gym

Week 2

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 15 mins fast and 5 mins slow again - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Friday - Swimming

Saturday -Long Run - Parkrun plus extra distance back home (Approx 10K)

Sunday - Gym

Week 3

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 17 mins fast and 5 mins slow again - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (7 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Sunday - Gym

Week 4

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 17 mins fast and 5 mins slow again 7 mins fast 5 mins slow - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (7 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Sunday - Gym

Week 5

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Friday - Swimming

Saturday - Parkrun test (Not actual PB attempt, run outside of race time)

Sunday - Gym

Week 6

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 20 mins fast and 5 mins slow again 10 mins fast 5 mins slow 5 mins fast 2 mins slow - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (8 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Sunday - Gym

Week 7

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 25 mins fast and 5 mins slow again 10 mins fast 5 mins slow 5 mins fast 2 mins slow - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (10 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Sunday - Gym

Week 8

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 20 mins fast and 5 mins slow again 10 mins fast 5 mins slow 5 mins fast 2 mins slow - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (10 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Saturday -Long Run - Parkrun plus extra distance back home (Approx 10K)

Sunday - Gym

Week 9

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 20 mins fast and 5 mins slow again 12 mins fast 5 mins slow - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Gym

Wednesday - Gym

Thursday - Interval Run - laps of the pitch 1 recovery 1 fast pace (8 of each)

Friday - Swimming

Sunday - Gym

Week 10

Monday - Tempo Run - 5 mins slow - 10 mins fast and 5 mins slow again - Around the park or in the gym

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - GAYM

Friday - Rest

Saturday - PB Attempt (Break 28.30 - Possibly beat 25:00)

Sunday - Gym

Let me know any thoughts on it, whether the goal is achievable (i think i can beat my PB but sub 25 might be a stretch) and any improvements/tips that ye have please add them in!

I will keep ye posted on the progress after the completion of each week!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

slingerz wrote: »
    My concern is that coming into the winter time, weather problems and lack of adequate lighting may inhibit my training outdoors but I presume that training on the threadmill would suffice some bit? (Please share your thoughts with me on this)

My thoughts are that GAA players are soft :pac:

You need to do more easy running, running at slower than your 5k pace. And don't run parkrun every weekend and expect to improve. Go up once a month or so.

If you're near a parkrun you're near a running club. Do your harder sessions with a group, you'll do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

RayCun wrote: »
    My thoughts are that GAA players are soft :pac:

You need to do more easy running, running at slower than your 5k pace. And don't run parkrun every weekend and expect to improve. Go up once a month or so.

If you're near a parkrun you're near a running club. Do your harder sessions with a group, you'll do better.

When you get to my age your soft no matter what! Theres not much slower than my 5K pace either!

I could include some easy runs in conjunction with my gym sessions so is there any guidelines for distance?

and what do you think of the goals that ive set for myself?

I'm probably older than you :)
    You can always run slower than your 5k race pace - the speed you plan to run the slow bits around your tempo runs, or the recovery laps in your intervals, will be slower than 5k pace (I hope)
    On your interval day, do 20 minutes easy running before you start intervals and 20 afterwards. 3 Saturdays a month do 10k at that easy pace instead of running parkrun.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on your target time, it isn't going to change your training. Maybe after 10 weeks you'll be faster than that, maybe not, just go out and run hard.

I'm probably older than you :)
    You can always run slower than your 5k race pace - the speed you plan to run the slow bits around your tempo runs, or the recovery laps in your intervals, will be slower than 5k pace (I hope)
    On your interval day, do 20 minutes easy running before you start intervals and 20 afterwards. 3 Saturdays a month do 10k at that easy pace instead of running parkrun.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on your target time, it isn't going to change your training. Maybe after 10 weeks you'll be faster than that, maybe not, just go out and run hard.

maybe slower but not much slower!!

the long run i included with the parkrun as part of that would be at a slow pace id imagine i wouldnt break 30 mins for the 5k parkrun that would be included in it.

im going to include the easy run before the intervals alright that does make sense to be fair

i can see where your coming from with regards to the target time especially as it stands right now but it is the driving force behind this training push! id have to think it if failed to do a PB after all of this specific training i'd retire from it all!!

Day 1 done!! Biggest challenge was keeping going really legs were a bit stiff and sore but not too bad on for more tomorrow

Motivation is I'm doing a 5k with Sonia o Sullivan this weekend!!

• Advertisement

Day 1 which was a 3K on a flat course was good enough handy pace to it and managed it while feeling comfortable and wasnt puffed at the finish.

Day 2 yesterday was tougher, intended to do an interval session in the local GAA pitch but there was a game on there so abandoned it to go over a hilly course. This was a lot slower than my day 1 run as the legs felt stiff and sore from the previous night. struggled through to just over 4k.

Going to hit the gym tonight and then take in some swimming tomorrow, hopefully will be fresh enough for a 5k race on Saturday want to go for a PB and hopefully up the training in coming weeks to smash it. Existing PB is 28:30 so lets see if I can take 30 secs off it this Saturday!

did the same course as day1 for 3k last night and thought i was struggling at a handy pace yet ended up doing it over a minute faster. strange stuff altogether.

rest day today before 5k race on saturday. hoping to beat my current PB of 28.30 before really getting into training to smash it.

Fingers crossed! Report back here on Monday either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey Slingerz, I've just seen your log. A couple of quick points (from a former GAA player too).

1) I agree with RayCun in that you shouldn't try and do Parkrun every week. You also don't extend your long run over the 10 weeks. Start at whatever point you are at now and extend your run by 5 mins each week. Pace should be very comfortable. Don't worry about distance, you should aim to build the time on your feet up to say 75/80 mins the week before your PB effort.

2) You need to do more than 3 runs a week. Do you really need to go to the GYM 3 times. Maybe switch one of the GYM sessions for an easy 30 min run. You could do some core or something after the run if you were eager to keep up strenght but you really need to run 4 times a week IMO.

3) Keep your easy runs easy. Big mistake new runners (and especially GAA players) make is to aim to empty the tank in every run. You'll be wrecked and will probably end up injured if you don't make sure to keep tabs on your pace.

Best of luck with it. It's a tough transition from GAA training to running but it's worth it;)

Cleanman wrote: »
    Hey Slingerz, I've just seen your log. A couple of quick points (from a former GAA player too).

1) I agree with RayCun in that you shouldn't try and do Parkrun every week. You also don't extend your long run over the 10 weeks. Start at whatever point you are at now and extend your run by 5 mins each week. Pace should be very comfortable. Don't worry about distance, you should aim to build the time on your feet up to say 75/80 mins the week before your PB effort.

2) You need to do more than 3 runs a week. Do you really need to go to the GYM 3 times. Maybe switch one of the GYM sessions for an easy 30 min run. You could do some core or something after the run if you were eager to keep up strenght but you really need to run 4 times a week IMO.

3) Keep your easy runs easy. Big mistake new runners (and especially GAA players) make is to aim to empty the tank in every run. You'll be wrecked and will probably end up injured if you don't make sure to keep tabs on your pace.

Best of luck with it. It's a tough transition from GAA training to running but it's worth it;)

thanks for the reply!

when you say pace should be very comfortable thats something difficult to comprehend for me as i feel im barely moving and its pointless. id imagine it would be 6.40 a KM pace?

i have altered my schedule from what was recorded in the initial post. so far my 'easy' runs have been 3K in distance and ive managed to fit in a gym session after that so it must have been a handy pace! :)

building time on my feet would be something i can agree with. at the moment 30 odd minutes feels like an ordeal, possibly due to some boredom that i feel when running on my own but hopefully that will change.

the reason for incorporating the parkrun into my long run is to up the number of attendances I have so that I can qualify for my parkrun tee shirt! added to that the route i have home would be a difficult enough run route after the Parkrun so to be honest I dont see myself as being able to complete it initially but it would be good to almost measure my improvement each week based on where I had to stop the week before and going past it.

i understand what you mean about emptying the tank as I was doing a run the other night and when i knew i was ~1km from my finishing spot i picked it up till the end mostly to see if i could as ive done some 5k races and mostly have found myself crawling to the finish line rather than being able to up the pace and pass some people on the way to the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

thanks for the reply!

the reason for incorporating the parkrun into my long run is to up the number of attendances I have so that I can qualify for my parkrun tee shirt!

I would not get too excited about getting a parkrun tee shirt. In the UK parkrun is sponsored by Adidas who supply the tee shirts. To date parkrun Ireland do not have a national sponsor, so no tee shirts in Ireland at the moment:mad:

• Advertisement

liamo66 wrote: »
    I would not get too excited about getting a parkrun tee shirt. In the UK parkrun is sponsored by Adidas who supply the tee shirts. To date parkrun Ireland do not have a national sponsor, so no tee shirts in Ireland at the moment:mad:

Never knew that! Can only hope against hope that Adidas do the Irish ones soon!

Did the 5k this morning felt good enough though struggled a bit from 3.5k still having the problem with my feet going numb when running despite barely closing my laces today!

Reckon I beat my PB anyway hopefully broke 28 mins and even in doing that I can see an easy improvement with a small bit if training so hopefully the 25 min target can be hit soon.

Will post my exact time once the results go up

Well new PB is 27.24 which I'm happy enough with I know that there's improvement there as I was hindered at the start due to the crowd and I got a mental weakness after 3.5K which caused me to slow down before walking the short steep hill prob cost me 30/40 seconds in total.

Also know that I haven't reached anywhere near the comfort over the distance so hopefully with more training over these next few weeks I can see the times improving all the while.

For the first time ever I was able to pick off targets in front of me on the home stretch with is greatly satisfying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

thanks for the reply!

when you say pace should be very comfortable thats something difficult to comprehend for me as i feel im barely moving and its pointless. id imagine it would be 6.40 a KM pace?

You should be able to run and be able to hold a conversation at the same time, so 6.40 (or even slower) sounds about right for you. Building up time going at this pace will be what will really help you to improve. It sounds counter intuitive, but the way to get faster is to run slower!

Well done yesterday. It's always nice to see improvements. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Congrats on your new PB & as others have said,SLOW is now your new running best friend.

It's now time to forget about times & PB's for a few weeks & just get out there & get used to & enjoy running at a comfortable(conversational) pace.

Try not to focus on the progress of others as everybody is different & progress at different rates.

Most of all, enjoy your running but remember if running was easy, everyone would be doing it. ;-)

Thanks for the replies folks it is a bit counter intuitive to go slower when training rather than at a good pace but I will give it a go.

I'd imagine getting the legs used to the distances and being strong enough to feel better over the course would have to benefit the race times that I see then

going for a short run now this evening had a tough weekend between the 5K race, soccer match, golf and a session for the All Ireland so feeling a little tired and emotional today.

going to take the advice and not push on with pace but just a comfortable job around and see how that feels. should be able to go for a longer trot then tomorrow when im not feeling as sorry for myself!

Did 3.5K this evening at a pace between 6.20 and 6.40 a KM. found it tough on the legs prob a combo of tiredness from the weekend and just not being used to running. Knees felt under pressure and feet ached towards the end but all completed.

What do people think of the training distances I'm doing I know I'm new to it but I was wondering if 3.5k and a walking break followed by another few km would be an idea to up the mileage?

mileage going up tonight for my 'long run' hoping to get 8K done this evening god knows how that will go for me but will report back on it again.
    hopefully with the upturn in efforts and training will mean that i will have the confidence to partake in the various 4/5 mile events even 10K's on around the locality that i previously wouldnt have looked at.

if i get competent at going to 6/7 miles i'd chance a 10 mile after that i reckon. should i survive that then maybe, just maybe the cork city half marathon would be an option for next summer? something to keep in mind anyway i sposes!

What do people think of the training distances I'm doing I know I'm new to it but I was wondering if 3.5k and a walking break followed by another few km would be an idea to up the mileage?

If you need to take a walking break you're going too fast

• Advertisement

If you need to take a walking break you're going too fast

its not down to lungs being under pressure that i feel the need to take a walking break its down to the strain i feel in my feet and legs from being on them for whatever distance i have covered in that time really.

aerobically i never feel under pressure when running even in the pb i did at the weekend i always thought that in my lungs i was find but that my legs were tiring out more than anything

Still and all - slow down, your legs won't be so tired, you'll be able to run for longer.
    Run on grass too if you can.

Did 6.5K tonight and felt fine with an average pace of 6.20.

Only problem was that my foot went numb after about 4.25K and my laces are loose any ideas what caused that?

Yesterday was a rest day from running at least with just a trip to the gym. tonight im off for a run i reckon about 4km and i think i'll try and do it with a bit of pace to it anyway.

have decided to register for the Clonakilty half marathon in December which should spur me on for further training and longer distances all of which should aid the PB attempts!!

Terrible run this evening had decided to go a short fast run of 3.5K around the Parkrun course without doing the second loop

Started off with no stretching or warm up and did the first K in under 5 mins but died a death in the second K with the hills taking almost 8 mins and having to do a share of walking in that

The third K was around 6.20 but I was broken and defeated after that.

Lesson learned I'm not that fast yet, I need to warm up before a run and I need to do an awful lot more training!!!

Going for a 5K today but learning my lesson my starting off reasonably and doing a food warm up/ stretch beforehand.

Have decided to follow Hal higdons training plan for intermediate 5K so starting that next week and just going to go for a couple of runs over the weekend. Anyone with thoughts on the Hal Highdon programmes? I was thinking they'd help prepare for the half marathon in December as well

5K done this morning in 28.08 time wasn't hectic but didn't feel great during it. Finished strongly though and picked off a runner on the run in which was nice

Rest day today at the start of the Hal Highdon intermediate program that Im starting and into an easy 5k tomorrow. Mileage will be upped considerably from what I have been doing which is approx 15-20K a week to approx 25-30K for this week.

Hopefully see a difference in times as a result anyway!

Did an easy 5K last night taking 32 mins for it but not out of breath for it. Main problem was pains and stiffness in the calves probably due to the fact I'm only really beginning my training.

Still have the problem with my feet going dead after 3.5/4K and nobody seems to know why! I've loosened the laces so much my shoes almost fall off so doubt that's the cause really

• Advertisement

Have my first Interval session tonight, kinda excited and kinda scared! going to start off with a slow jog to warm up for 1.5k and then start into the intervals after a few sprints. Have the job back to warm down. Going to use the outskirts of the GAA pitch in order to regulate the 400's, i know it wont be exact but its pretty close anyway.

as for pace its going to be faster than a 5k race for me anyway and then the recovery will be a mixture of a walk and a jog hoping for a walk but i may not make it!

Only starting off with 5 as ive 5 a side soccer afterwards which should be interesting!

Have totally lost routine with the Gym though will have to get that in on the 'rest' days of Monday and Friday and possibly Saturday. Will have more scope as the winter progresses and some of my training runs are done on the gym threadmill.

Advertisement