Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5K Time Target (Make Turkey taste better)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Found the 6k easy enough last night, had feared it would be tough coming back having done nothing for a week.

first time this year that i've found the cold burning the lungs a bit at the start as well as the legs feeling the chill in the shorts.

Need to get out tonight but the weather is not looking inviting so i reckon a spell on the threadmill is much more likely.

Updated race schedule:

Sun 3rd - 4 Miler as part of 15K long run

Sat 9th - Parkrun (easy & part of 15k long run)

Wed 13th - 10K run in the dark - Sub 1hr attempt

Sat 16th - Parkrun (easy)
    Sun17th - 6 miler as part of 18K long run

Sat 30th - 5k feet first Killarney (Target Sub 26:00)

Sat 7th - Clonakilty Waterfront Half Marathon

Sun 15th - 4 miler as part of an 8k long run

Sat 22nd - Parkrun PB attempt (need to break 26.25) - the main point of starting this training log!!! Would love to go sub 25 for this one but might be asking a lot!

What do people think about including the races as part of the long steady runs? I think the races are more likely to get me out for these than just going on my own. I wont race them and will hold back the pace but having them as a portion of the long runs will help break the monotony for myself.

Another 6K done yesterday tough going as the legs were tired from the run the night before.

Felt that I could keep going but it was the boredom that made me want to stop. Kept going through it though but made me realise that some company would make a difference on these runs

Even though there was tiredness there last night I also felt that my legs were stronger than what I remember them to be when I started out I'm pretty sure the pace I was going at last night would have been too fast altogether a couple months ago which is pleasing and hopefully will continue for the next couple months!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

slingerz wrote: »
    Updated race schedule:

Sun 3rd - 4 Miler as part of 15K long run

Sat 9th - Parkrun ( very easy & part of 15k long run)

Wed 13th - 10K run in the dark - Sub 1hr attempt

Sat 16th - Parkrun ( very easy)
    Sun17th - 6 miler as part of 18K long run

Sat 30th - 5k feet first Killarney (Target Sub 26:00)

Sat 7th - Clonakilty Waterfront Half Marathon

Sun 15th - 4 miler as part of an 8k long run

Sat 22nd - Parkrun PB attempt (need to break 26.25) - the main point of starting this training log!!! Would love to go sub 25 for this one but might be asking a lot!

What do people think about including the races as part of the long steady runs? I think the races are more likely to get me out for these than just going on my own. I wont race them and will hold back the pace but having them as a portion of the long runs will help break the monotony for myself.

Do not do the races either side of the half marathon, In theory it takes one days rest for every mile raced.You will have to be very disciplined doing any race ,parkrun as part of a long run,even the best around here with the intentions of doing an easy race prior to a target race can get carried away,its alot easier said than done.

The same with the parkruns either side of the 10k run,your gonna have to take them very very easy & completely forget about times for these runs.
    I know you have fitness from the GAA, but this running lark is a different game altogether.Make sure your well rested for the half.
    2 to 2 1/2 hours on your feet continuously moving is completely different to any match gaa or soccer(or 2 or 3 matches in one day) you have ever played, these are all stop start & you can rely on others to dig you out of a hole,during a Half Marathon you will have no one to call on but yourself

Cheers for the feedback docjewel! I'd be good to take the races easy alright knowing I'd have another good bit of distance to run those days!

I do fancy the kilarney 5K the week before the half tho a good fast course which is a tempting PB attempt!!

The half is a daunting prospect for me but I've no expectations or ideas of ability so I reckon I'll finish it anyway!!

• Advertisement

10K run done last night at an easy pace did it in around an hour as had no watch or phone with me. Legs a little tired today so only a shorter trip tonight I think around 5/6K

6K done tonight, comfortable pace.

5K race this Saturday now, faster course than usual so maybe an improves time?!

New PB today 25.45 including a sprint finish with a woman that I won!

Struggled in km 3 & 4 after going too fast in km 1 & 2

Onwards to the run in the dark this Wednesday hoping for sub 55 which will be a big improvement on current 10K PB of 1:04:32

Run in the dark down tonight new 10K PB 56.35 took 8.08 off my previous best. Felt strong at the finish which is good but never got into contention for sub 55 which was disappointing

11K easy today. Legs were heavy and tired. Hopefully the easy pace will put some life back into them. 10K race Sunday week will be last race before the clon half

• Advertisement

Another 12K or so tonight at handy pace and felt comfortable at the finish which was nice. Have a group to go with now for these long runs which is handy as it makes them less boring

Hip giving a bit of jip today after last nights run.

Possibly best course is to rest it till Thursday maybe and see how it feels then

Have 10K race Saturday and then the Clon half in December so don't want to aggravate any injuries before those and then the aim of the log to get u25 mins for 5K before the new year!!

Get under 55 for 10K and under 2:15 for the half the other aims

25.53 today in my local Parkrun today but was struggling at the finish. Definitely think there's another minute in there anyway

10K race tomorrow now as we'll hope that goes well for me have the beginnings of a head cold coming on so dosing up on lemsip and hot whiskeys!

Looking forward to the half marathon in clon at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

25.53 today in my local Parkrun today but was struggling at the finish. Definitely think there's another minute in there anyway

10K race tomorrow now as we'll hope that goes well for me have the beginnings of a head cold coming on so dosing up on lemsip and hot whiskeys!

Looking forward to the half marathon in clon at this stage

It's really not a good idea to race 2 races in 2 days. Recipe for an injury and you won't get your best result...

Enjoyable race this morning in fota for the reindeer run! Took 7 mins off my 10k PB time with a finish of 49.40

Came through the 5K mark in 24.56 which would be fastest 5K by a minute if it was a 5K race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Enjoyable race this morning in fota for the reindeer run! Took 7 mins off my 10k PB time with a finish of 49.40

Came through the 5K mark in 24.56 which would be fastest 5K by a minute if it was a 5K race
    that is fantastic improvement you've made in such a short space of time. All the hard work is paying off. Wish it was for me:rolleyes:
    Well done slingerz!:)
    Excited to see what your 5k time will be by the end of the year. Seems like you'll go sub 24 at your current rate of progress. Best of luck.

That means your 2nd 5k was an even faster 24:44 ;)

Well done, great improvement!!

Thanks folks and meno I never thought of it like that!

Think I do better at the longer trips than the 5Ks but perhaps better prep in advance of the 5K would help usually just turn up and run without any warm up at all

well first update since the clon half marathon. the half was probably beyond my capabilites at present but i finished it in 2:27 and i reckon the last 3 miles took about 40 mins. was in fair pain after it

had taken a break since as i've had a strange pain in my foot and hip since but tonight is when i get back out there and dust off the cobwebs. plan this week is to get some gentle runs in of somewhere between 6 and 10K to get the blood flowing again. will do a 5k race next weekend just to get some pacier running in.

The big one then will be the 28th as the attempt to get sub 25min on a 5K race

bad news for me, went out for an 8K last night and despite it being a tough slog my foot injury that i picked up at the clon half has flared up again.

prob time to see a doctor with it i reckon. dont think its a stress fracture as its not on the bone more so below the ankle before the metatarsals that soft fleshy bit and its sore with every step even when walking

• Advertisement

bad news for me, went out for an 8K last night and despite it being a tough slog my foot injury that i picked up at the clon half has flared up again.

prob time to see a doctor with it i reckon. dont think its a stress fracture as its not on the bone more so below the ankle before the metatarsals that soft fleshy bit and its sore with every step even when walking

I wouldn't go near a doctor with a running injury. They have no experience on running mechanicas and it is not their area of expertise.

Best go see a physiotherapist/ Physical therapist.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near a doctor with a running injury. They have no experience on running mechanicas and it is not their area of expertise.

Best go see a physiotherapist/ Physical therapist.

thanks for the advice i've been googling the problem and its impossible to determine what it is but it sounds like rest is the only way forward with it really

thanks for the advice i've been googling the problem and its impossible to determine what it is but it sounds like rest is the only way forward with it really

Even so, a good physio with expereince of running injuries will be able to give you a thorough diagnosis and excercises to fix the problem. It's money well spent if you find a good one.
    If you go to a doctor (which is generally the same price as a physio visit) they will just say 'oh your foot is sore; stop running'.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Take meno's advice. Get to a physio/physical therapist as they will be far more familiar with running related injuries than your average GP.

Also, stay away from Google! You'll be better off in the long run to get it looked at now. Best case - you might just need a rub to get it sorted. Worst case - you'll have a clear idea of what's wrong and will be given stretches and exercise to aid rehab.

[Edit] Meno just replied with the same thing as I have. [/Edit]

this is a strange injury as since my run on monday i have had no pain in it and am unable to recreate said discomfort myself.

i have yet to try another jog on it but am tempted to give it a go for 5K in the morning. No pace or anything just a trot around. hopefully have no reaction to it and can get going and focused on what to do for 2014 then

this is a strange injury as since my run on monday i have had no pain in it and am unable to recreate said discomfort myself.

i have yet to try another jog on it but am tempted to give it a go for 5K in the morning. No pace or anything just a trot around. hopefully have no reaction to it and can get going and focused on what to do for 2014 then

this injury gets even weirder. while meandering around town yesterday xmas shopping the pain in my foot returned for a spell.

It was since disappeared. no idea what the story is with ti or if i should give another jog a go

Well resurrecting this thread again!

More plans will be coming on-stream for the summer months and looking ahead to the autumn!

Initial plan is for the Cork half in June. Need to do one more long run of 10 miles before then i think.

After that the focus goes onto training for DCM14 and first off the 5K season of June and July. Think these faster runs will help with the marathon training too.

After DCM the focus is to bring the 5K time down to sub 23:00, currently at 25:53

6 Mile run now tonight, back a bit stiff and sore still which is a dose. Must check out some yoga/pilates classes locally that i can take in once a week

hoping to get the 6 miles in under 55 mins tonight anyway

• Advertisement

6 miles done bang on 55 mins couldn't get there under it but was pretty comfortbale for most of it really and the course was hilly enough in places

Advertisement