Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New veg beds

• 27-08-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have built a few wooden frame raised veg beds using lengths of 9x2 rough cut timber. These beds are curerently empty and lying flat on my lawn. I have a couple of questions if someone could help or give opinions:

1) Will 9inches be enough to allow me to grow deep root veg such as carrots etc? If not how far do I have to dig into the lawn?

2) Is there any sense putting the beds in now and filling with top soil compost mix or should I store the beds in the garage and wait until spring?

3) If I fill them now what could I plant? are there any herbs that could be planted now?

4) Any recommendations for non toxic wood perservative for the timber?

Thanks for your help,

Stooge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

If this was me; and I was not planning on using that piece of lawn again, I would put the raised beds into place and turn the sod of the lawn and fit the bed with topsoil etc. Winter is a great time for breaking down soil. You could get some lettuces sown now that might cropbefore winter sets in. I might consider planting some cabbages for overwintering. But that's me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Hi, thanks for the advice. I suppose tehre is no harm in having the lawn dug and the ebds filled for winter even if tehre is a limited amount of stuff I can grow now. when you say turn the sod of the lawn is there not a need to dig down into the soil to allow for rooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I would dig the sod out by spade (about 12 inches of a dig) and break it up. By digging you will be going down into the soil. When you back fill with your 9 inches of topsoil you should really have about 21 inches of broken soil. Plant up something for the winter and the frost will break the soil up better... Frost :eek:

Advertisement