Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacral dimple & tethered cords

Options
  • 27-08-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Our NB just got his 6-week check-up. Three weeks ago, he got an ultrasound to examine a sacral dimple/pit at the base of his spine; today, we were told that the ultrasound report seems to say there's nothing to worry about but recommended an MRI to get more information to be sure that his spinal cord is not 'tethered'.

As I understand it, the spinal cord should be hanging freely connected only at the top and bottom, but with these kinds of abnormalities, the cord can become snagged, or tethered, potentially leading to nerve damage, weak legs, leg pain, spasms, incontinence.

I understand that the only real solution is surgery, and even this is not 100%

I'm wondering whether anyone here has had this experience and has anything comforting/discomforting to add. In any case, while we're told we shouldn't be at all worried, I can't help it, and we'll find out one way or another when he gets his MRI.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Please remember no medical advice is to be given to the op but sharing personal experiences with her is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My nephew was born with this like you described little dimple at the base of spine and yes it was worrying when the doctors looked at it the minute he was born as if there was something wrong, but turned out all was fine, he had tests done and it was nothing, he is 5 now and a healthy boy in every aspect of the word, try not worry just yet, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Thanks, Moonbeam. I was looking for experiences of parents, not medical advice. Either way, we won't know until the medical evidence is in but, certainly, there's no panic about it among medical staff for now. I can't help keep it in the back of my mind, though. It's comforting to hear one positive experience with sacral dimples.

I read after he was born that around 5% of sacral dimples pose complications; I held on to the 95% likelihood of complications. We haven't been told anything to the contrary other than that the 'tract' could be seen through the pit and an MRI has been ordered to provide more detail for diagnosis.

We're just really hoping he doesn't have tethered cord syndrome, and if so, it will only take a minor procedure to correct it.

Rose: what tests did your nephew have?

sarkozy - i can't really remember as it was 5 years ago, I remember my sister fretting at the time and we were all worried as spina bifida was mentioned - i will be meeting my sister over the weekend as said boy is having his birthday party - I will quiz her up on it for you. He was attending a paediatric clinic in the hospital for it that I do remember, but not sure of details. How long do you have to wait for mri?

Not sure yet, could be a month, could be 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

Our now 2YO was born with IA ( Inperforate anus ) , and one of the things that goes along with that would be a possible tethered cord . She also has a dimple.

We have asked for an MRI ( we read up on these things as you would when your child is undergoing 4 ops/ has colostomy bags etc which were for the IA ) , we are still waiting 6 months later for a date.

My understanding is that a tethered cord may result in incontinence etc , we have seen no evidence of issues with our little one , she runs about etc .

From what I have read an MRI is the ONLY way of telling for sure , and the op is reasonably simple actually .

It is sort of in the same family as spinabifida I think , we were asked about folic acid etc ( which my wife had taken ).

Good luck OP.

Thanks. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter but I'm sure everything will be fine. I've been so impressed by the medical staff in the maternity system so far.

Indeed, as far as I know, a sacral dimple is a form of spina bifida. I suppose I didn't make the link with folic acid, but my OH was taking that for well more than a year before we even conceived. I think Ireland has a high incidence of spina bifida for genetic reasons.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Thanks, Moonbeam. I was looking for experiences of parents, not medical advice. Either way, we won't know until the medical evidence is in but, certainly, there's no panic about it among medical staff for now. I can't help keep it in the back of my mind, though. It's comforting to hear one positive experience with sacral dimples.

I read after he was born that around 5% of sacral dimples pose complications; I held on to the 95% likelihood of complications. We haven't been told anything to the contrary other than that the 'tract' could be seen through the pit and an MRI has been ordered to provide more detail for diagnosis.

We're just really hoping he doesn't have tethered cord syndrome, and if so, it will only take a minor procedure to correct it.

Rose: what tests did your nephew have?

My nephew was monitored closely by phn and gp and they were pretty confident that his spine was ok so they went with that and just keeping an eye on him, and turned out it was fine, an mri was also mentioned but thankfully he didnt have to go for it as he was developing properly in all areas, she kept pushing at appointments for various tests which they would have done immediately had they thought there was anything to worry about. Im sure your little one will be fine, fingers crossed for you. Sorry i wasnt more help to put your mind at ease at least.

Advertisement