Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying local sim card new york

Options
  • 27-08-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

arrive in new york next week for a 3 week stay and want to buy a local micro sim card for my phone (android) so I don't get destroyed with data roaming charges!
    Is there a place to buy such a sim when I land in jfk?
    If not where is the best place and what network should I go for?
    I've heard there are temporary 30 day sims for tourists?
    I will be using this almost exclusively for internet.

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Would wifi not suffice if its pretty much exclusive internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes you might be on to something there in terms on nyc but I plan on going around the country where wifi isn't always available or free

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Who is your mobile provider in Ireland? I know Meteor offer a US Data Roaming package - you get 200MB of data for 20 euro and it's valid for 30 days. I've used it before, and it was sufficient for maps, email and Google searches, while using free Wifi whenever it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Yes you might be on to something there in terms on nyc but I plan on going around the country where wifi isn't always available or free

Just walk into any t mobible store (they are all over the city) and ask for a sim card - they have probably the cheapest nationwide pre paid package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Looking to do the same thing myself

Found a good post on it here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414494,00.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As previous poster said - T-Mobile , PAYG sim-card from a store..

You can then set it up for a $2 per day charge that gives you unlimited US calls(landline & mobile) , unlimited global texts and 200Mb/day of data (200mb at max speed (3G for us) and then unlimited data at edge/2.5G).

I travel to US regularly and use this method all the time - I now just top-up my account before I travel and swap the sim on the plane...

Advertisement