Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lunchtime Targeted business

Options
  • 27-08-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Afternoon,
    Right so I have zero experience in the food or catering sector but I do have a good idea of what would work based on extensive travelling and seeing what trends of food work at lunchtime.

I have an idea for a healthy lunchtime alternative.

Just wondering what you thoughts are on opening a cafe/deli type place that's main turn over will come from lunchtimes.

Is it a bad idea to jump into a business where the majority of sales would be say between 12:00 & 14:00 during the same - perhaps selling some coffee's throughout the day but by no means a big % of overall sales.

The premises would be open all day for trade but can't imagine it significantly increasing profits.

Floor open for discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Probably a bit of market research is needed first. I assume you will need a place with high footfall if you intend to make your money in 10.. 12 hrs a week. High rent, rates so. Open all day so full time and part time staff. All day electricity costs. Fit out if needed. You can probably make a stab at most of these. Its most likely easy to price the ingredients for your offering as well.

Find a lunchtime place that is as close as you can get to what you propose and in the general area. Count the customers going in from 12..2 as many days as possible. Divide customers into costs and see if the answer is the price you could charge for your food. If its within ball park at least you have potential and can seriously look at your options. If not can you extend the lunch time trade, reduce costs, charge a premium for the healthy option, do a take away version for customers going home from work ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Good points John,
    It would all be take away - run in, grab something, head back to office type set up.
    So the size of premises wouldn't need to be massive - just a selling & prep zone really.

The other option would go mobile and bring the food to the offices - a saving would be made on rent but additional overheads such as fuel and permits etc.
    Was thinking possibly a different location each day then if one zone is a sell out focus 100% there with the option of continued different location each day of the week (2nd mobile unit & staff required)

Advertisement