Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haim 13th Dec @ The Academy

Options
  • 27-08-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Can't wait for this, tickets on sale Friday. Was gutted to have missed them play whelans due to the LC and was at T in the Park when they played the phoenix park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've had their EP pretty much on constant play for ages. €17.50 is a pretty good price. Should be a good gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Can't wait for this, tickets on sale Friday. Was gutted to have missed them play whelans due to the LC and was at T in the Park when they played the phoenix park.

Me too, only discovered them from the TV coverage of Glastonbury this year but have been lapping up everything from them online since.
    Didn't think I'd get the chance to see them until maybe next summer. I've never been to the Academy, is it much smaller than the Olympia ?

There will be some furious pressing of the f5 key come Friday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

anyone know how strict the academy is for id? i'll be fine, but a few people i know are underage and are dying to go :/

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

anyone know how strict the academy is for id? i'll be fine, but a few people i know are underage and are dying to go :/

Was at a gig there last year and they were stopping anyone that looked underage. A good few disappointed girls were standing outside when i went in.

Its a much smaller venue than the olympia, the seating area upstairs is very small but has a great view.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

tell them not to bother - they'll get refused!

these'll be great - they were super in Whelans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

Anyone think this'll sell out quickly? Heard Whelans did quick enough and I'd hate to miss it! They were the best support act at the Killers by mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

viv2 wrote: »
    Was at a gig there last year and they were stopping anyone that looked underage. A good few disappointed girls were standing outside when i went in.

Its a much smaller venue than the olympia, the seating area upstairs is very small but has a great view.

What's the story with upstairs? Can anyone head up if you get in early?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

mutley18 wrote: »
    What's the story with upstairs? Can anyone head up if you get in early?

Not too sure when I was there it was a vip area but we managed to get up there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

The hipsters will be out in force for this one !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

s8n wrote: »

*slow clap*

Since when is enjoying music considered being "hipster"?

• Advertisement

I resent the accusation :P

but in all seriousness I can't wait, its exactly a year and a day since I first saw them when they supported Florence + the Machine in the o2, and even though before that show I didn't like them, after I saw them live I completely changed my mind. They're so effortlessly cool, especially with their fans, the bassist even gave out her phone number at the itunes festival, I've texted her a few times :P

Has she texted you back ?

Has she texted you back ?

A few times, mostly its only been nonsense(on my behalf too) It through whatsapp so its hard to time it when she's online, with different time zones and everything :p
    They really are very good to their fans though,they brought a couple of people backstage at the phoenix park and just chilled with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Really hope I can get tickets for this, gutted I haven't seen them live yet

Can you share the number ?

You'll find it easily enough on youtube. I took it down weeks back and she does appear to be on whatsapp, but I didn't have the balls to text her. Her fault for giving it out and not changing it after nearly a year, but at the same time you'd hate to be bugging her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They certainly the most hyped act around right now, it helps they are marketable and three hot girls at that. They did the rounds at Uk Festival scene . Expect this to sell out quick. I'm still a bit 50/50 about them to be honest. I don't know if they are overhyped that puts me off but nothing stands out about them that I haven't heard before.

Looper007 wrote: »
    They certainly the most hyped act around right now, it helps they are marketable and three hot girls at that. They did the rounds at Uk Festival scene . Expect this to sell out quick. I'm still a bit 50/50 about them to be honest. I don't know if they are overhyped that puts me off but nothing stands out about them that I haven't heard before.

I dunno, I knew nothing about them before catching them on TV at Glastonbury this year. Took down the name of a song and youtubed it later. I had no idea there was a hype about them, I just liked their sound. And I'm into stuff like Queens of the Stone and The National usually, although there's nothing wrong with a bit of diversity.

It's nothing new really, but it's refreshing at the same time.

ratedR wrote: »
    I dunno, I knew nothing about them before catching them on TV at Glastonbury this year. Took down the name of a song and youtubed it later. I had no idea there was a hype about them, I just liked their sound. And I'm into stuff like Queens of the Stone and The National usually, although there's nothing wrong with a bit of diversity.

It's nothing new really, but it's refreshing at the same time.

They are certainly the hype band of the minute. They are in NME most weeks

It's been done by other Girl indie groups like The Like (that Fleetwood Mac 80's sound) but I think these girls have a bit more suave about them, they and their management are promoting them well and their songs are certainly well produced. I'm not knocking them can see them been a love it/hate it type of band. I like them but the hype around them makes you think they reinvented the wheel.

Look up their performance at itunes festival (at least I think thats the performance)

I'd rarely message her tbh, cause in all fairness what exactly am I gonna say? I'd hate to be one of those annoying fans thats all 'I Luv U bbs xxx :* ;D' etc.
    The best responses I've gotten were when I texted her random crap at five in the morning cause I was really tired/bored (probs not a good combination)

But if I don't get tickets I might be really cheeky and message her about getting in :o:p

• Advertisement

They are certainly the hype band of the minute. They are in NME most weeks

It's been done by other Girl indie groups like The Like (that Fleetwood Mac 80's sound) but I think these girls have a bit more suave about them, they and their management are promoting them well and their songs are certainly well produced. I'm not knocking them can see them been a love it/hate it type of band. I like them but the hype around them makes you think they reinvented the wheel.

Well as long as they don't blow up in a Mumford and Sons kind of way where everyone and their dog loves them, then I'm ok. These girls actually have talent and more than one song though..

I posted a video of theirs to my facebook a few weeks back and only 1 friend (of a lot of music lovers) had heard of them.

Well as long as they don't blow up in a Mumford and Sons kind of way where everyone and their dog loves them, then I'm ok. These girls actually have talent and more than one song though..

I posted a video of theirs to my facebook a few weeks back and only 1 friend (of a lot of music lovers) had heard of them.

I think they're getting much more attention in the UK, I quite often hear their music in the background on bbc.
    I found a good few songs by them on youtube this evening, and was honestly surprised at the number of quality songs they have (The only songs I know are the ones they play live; which I thought was pretty much all they had done yet, but youtube gave me more )
    They played a LOT of festivals this summer and I think that's where some of the hype is coming from. Hopefully they'll last, I really do like them and purely based on interviews/twitter they seem like fame wouldn't affect them, they're just too damn cool to give a ****! :p

I think they're getting much more attention in the UK

By far, it helps they are three cute women and they do appeal across the boarder from pop fan's to indie fan's.

The U.S won't jump on board until they get a number 1 in the UK or make a big splash commercially in the UK. They did the exact same for The Strokes, The Killers, The White Stripes etc...

I don't see them right now (unless they have a massive hit single on the album they haven't released yet) overnight turning into a stadium act. Yeah none of their singles have cracked the top 20 in the UK. Number 30 is their highest. in Ireland Don't Save Me only made it to number 70. I doubt it they be Mumford and Sons big but as long as this album does good business and gets a good critical reaction , they could get themselves a good fanbase here and in the UK.

By far, it helps they are three cute women and they do appeal across the boarder from pop fan's to indie fan's.

The U.S won't jump on board until they get a number 1 in the UK or make a big splash commercially in the UK. They did the exact same for The Strokes, The Killers, The White Stripes etc...

Kings of Leon too. There are probably loads others. Generally though, US rock/indie/alt bands tend to make it big in Europe and the UK first. The US is far more interested in hip hop and pop ****e and has been for the past 20 years.

Queens of the Stone age, for instance would in terms of charting be far more popular in mainland Europe than in the US. The last album was their first NO.1 in the US, only took 15 years.

Kings of Leon too. There are probably loads others. Generally though, US rock/indie/alt bands tend to make it big in Europe and the UK first. The US is far more interested in hip hop and pop ****e and has been for the past 20 years.

Queens of the Stone age, for instance would in terms of charting be far more popular in mainland Europe than in the US. The last album was their first NO.1 in the US, only took 15 years.

I'd say the Killer's The Strokes and King's of Leon biggest markets are the UK and Ireland. I didn't think QOTSA where that big in the U.S. A number 1 in America now for a Rock group is a rarity.

I'm gonna sound quite hipster here but while I want them to be successful I kinda want them to stay quite small. I've a feeling they might make it big though.

On a side note, I'd literally just bought the Forever and Don't Save Me vinyls on ebay the night before the announcement about the Dublin show. I squealed with excitement, I wont lie. Too much Haim in such a short time!

I'm gonna sound quite hipster here but while I want them to be successful I kinda want them to stay quite small. I've a feeling they might make it big though.

I don't see them becoming big just yet so I think you be okay for a while. I think they become a well liked festival act and will have a loyal fan base. By the end of them touring their new album I see them playing Olympia type of venues. They just lack that song that people will be humming in ten years time but they are only starting out I'm sure it come in time. You know Mr Brightside, I bet you look good on the Dancefloor, Last Nite basically their anthem.

I don't see them becoming big just yet so I think you be okay for a while. I think they become a well liked festival act and will have a loyal fan base. By the end of them touring their new album I see them playing Olympia type of venues. They just lack that song that people will be humming in ten years time but they are only starting out I'm sure it come in time. You know Mr Brightside, I bet you look good on the Dancefloor, Last Nite basically their anthem.

Mm, I just like having a band that costs less than €20 to go see :) I have really no idea where they're going, cause I really have limited knowledge of the music industry :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

How much are the TM fees likely to be for this?

I have just over €20 in my account and was hoping to buy a ticket in the morning on my debit card.

Thanks.

Advertisement