Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in Limerick

• 27-08-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am moving from Galway to Limerick and agents that renting out the place told me that there's upc internet connection "sure you can get sorted out". since its a city center where are multiple apartments, I believed that. now few days before moving I call to UPC to tell them about change of the address. The answer was negative. Now I get an offer from upc to pay 200 euro to close my account "on contract" which is ridiculous. but why should I? I have no intention to close the account, I need internet connection and its not my fault that they aren't connected in the city centre. This is unfair, UPC should really change they policy about it. I believe that theres more people with similar problem. Is there any solution to this? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

NattyDread wrote: »
    Hi, I am moving from Galway to Limerick and agents that renting out the place that I found to move in told me, when I asked, that there's upc internet connection "sure you can get sorted out". since its a city center where are multiple apartments, I believed that and I paid deposit. now few days before moving I call to UPC to tell them about change of the address. The answer was negative. Now I get an offer from upc to pay 200 euro to close my account "on contract" which is ridiculous. but why should I? I have no intention to close the account, I need internet connection and its not my fault that they aren't connected in the city centre. Its unfair, UPC should really change they policy about it. I believe that theres more people with similar problem. Is there any solution to this? thanks.

You should have this moved to the Talk To UPC forum where the Reps can look into it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely the anger and disbelief should be directed at the letting agents. Maybe hit them up for the €200? Its well known that UPC don't have 100% population coverage for cable services across the country and if you're in contract it surely makes sense to check before you move and if necessary move somewhere that can get the service?
    The real issue here is that the letting agent lied to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NattyDread

Yes you are right, theres a lot of emotions in this thread, but without specific direction of my anger, yet. In my opinion, agent didn't even know if theres ups connection. he knew that there are some cables, but now he's denying saying anything to do with upc, after me paying deposit ahhh. Its like a joke or something.

I still need to know if there is any way I could at least freeze the account or something like that, until I settle down and find my way around the city in search for the place with the upc connection, or maybe upc would knock to my door in a meantime with their service. "wishfull thinking"

colm_mcm Thank you for your quick respond and for the advice.

"Reliability is rarely found man's feature".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say bring your modem with you for now and leave the account in Galway open till you find a new place. No point paying €200 then needing an account again

Address checker here
    http://www.upc.ie/map/

From having looked at apartments to rent in limerick 4 years ago, some of the smaller blocks in the middle of the city didn't have connections. Certainly check over the phone before placing another deposit (I know, hindsight is great)
    I'd push for a refund on your deposit with the agency.

Advertisement