Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollers

Options
  • 27-08-2013 2:45pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a set of rollers to do some work on over the winter.* But I know feck all about them. Can anyone advise on what to buy, what not to buy? Is dearer better or do they all do the same job.

*Basically I'm a crap cyclist who needs fundamental skills work, and the turbo is no help, in fact it makes things worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a set of rollers to do some work on over the winter.* But I know feck all about them. Can anyone advise on what to buy, what not to buy? Is dearer better or do they all do the same job.

*Basically I'm a crap cyclist who needs fundamental skills work, and the turbo is no help, in fact it makes things worse.

I bought a set of these second hand earlier in the year. http://www.wiggle.com/tacx-antares-professional-training-rollers/

Was a little concerned that they weren't going to be the most resilient of things, being made of plastic and all, but they're quite robust and strong, and I'm probably only going to use them for an hour or so a week anyway so spending more would have been pointless. I don't know if more expensive rollers are better, as these are the only ones I've tried, but I'm happy with them.

You won't be able to get a "session" done on them, the resistance just isn't there. Spinning out in my biggest gear, the effort is still very low. But I have a turbo for sessions.

Can we have a video set up to record your first go? Maybe a webcam live feed? You will fall. How quickly can you unclip?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Get two wobble boards. Put your front wheel on one, your turbo on the other..........

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BTH wrote: »
    I bought a set of these second hand earlier in the year. http://www.wiggle.com/tacx-antares-professional-training-rollers/

Was a little concerned that they weren't going to be the most resilient of things, being made of plastic and all, but they're quite robust and strong, and I'm probably only going to use them for an hour or so a week anyway so spending more would have been pointless. I don't know if more expensive rollers are better, as these are the only ones I've tried, but I'm happy with them.

You won't be able to get a "session" done on them, the resistance just isn't there. Spinning out in my biggest gear, the effort is still very low. But I have a turbo for sessions.

Can we have a video set up to record your first go? Maybe a webcam live feed? You will fall. How quickly can you unclip?
    I plan to buy some mattresses with it as a job lot. Or a safety line to tie me to the ceiling. My problem is, I fall off lots already. I want to learn to do it with style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    I plan to buy some mattresses with it as a job lot. Or a safety line to tie me to the ceiling. My problem is, I fall off lots already. I want to learn to do it with style.

May I suggest NOT tieing the safety line around your neck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

when I started out I put the rollers in a door, so I have the frame on either side for safety its easy to reach out and stop yourself falling, it also helps for getting on you can use the frame for balance.
    Other than that I just suggest you concentrate on the centre of the rollers as the bike will go where you look and then you fall.:P

I agree with BTH unless you hand out the money for ones with resistance you will not be able to do high intensity sessions, however I can do decent tempo sessions and find the time passes faster than the turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

With rollers you may well fall more than seven times.......

With rollers you may well fall more than seven times.......
    As long as I get up eight.

It was just a possible solution to an ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If bike handling skills is the main issue cross or mountain biking is great for bike skills. The price of rollers would be a chunk of the cost of a second hand entry level bike which would see you fine. Far more fun than rollers or turbo and is a great work out. Sean Kelly reckons cross worked wonders for his skills and he's the King!
    If your in Dublin you could look at track cycling... endless options!
    Good luck.

If bike handling skills is the main issue cross or mountain biking is great for bike skills. The price of rollers would be a chunk of the cost of a second hand entry level bike which would see you fine. Far more fun than rollers or turbo and is a great work out. Sean Kelly reckons cross worked wonders for his skills and he's the King!
    If your in Dublin you could look at track cycling... endless options!
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I have a big heavy hybrid yoke I can take out on the trails I guess.

I think they do mountain bike hire and training somewhere in Wicklow.... may have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Got a set of rollers last year, found them really beneficial, purchased the garmin cadence sensor and stick on a few spinerval dvd.
    Found them really useful to practice fueling and drinking while concentrating, my cornering has really came on from them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sports Pursuit have a set @ 40% off, no experience of rollers, so don't know if this is a good deal or not, but they normally only sell premium brands.
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/triathlon/training-roller

Advertisement