Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon with diarrhea

• 27-08-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

My Bichon (5 months old) has diarrhea at the moment.
    He vomited overnight Saturday, a nice little pile, probably the majority of his dinner. Then his number 2s on Sunday were diarrhea.
    We had to bathe him after. He didnt eat a lot Sunday or Monday but I wouldnt say he was off his food. Still playful and full of energy.
    More diarrhea Monday evening and today, athough it does appear to regaining some firmness today.
    I'm a little worried, should I take him to the vet or give it another day?

My partner and I went away last Saturday and our friend looked after him. She took him to the park and got very wet and muddy. She said in the car on the way home he was curled up on the floor so she turned on hot air from the footwell. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

sketchpad wrote: »
    Hi,

My Bichon (5 months old) has diarrhea at the moment.
    He vomited overnight Saturday, a nice little pile, probably the majority of his dinner. Then his number 2s on Sunday were diarrhea.
    We had to bathe him after. He didnt eat a lot Sunday or Monday but I wouldnt say he was off his food. Still playful and full of energy.
    More diarrhea Monday evening and today, athough it does appear to regaining some firmness today.
    I'm a little worried, should I take him to the vet or give it another day?

My partner and I went away last Saturday and our friend looked after him. She took him to the park and got very wet and muddy. She said in the car on the way home he was curled up on the floor so she turned on hot air from the footwell. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Is he wormed and vaccinated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

Yes, he's wormed and vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

is he still drinking plenty of water?

when ours have diarrhea I will boil some rice and cook some chicken breasts and just give them this for a day or so and then slowly introduce his normal food in with the rice and chicken when you see the diarrhea has cleared

not saying that is what you are meant to do but I find it works well for my 3

name0123 wrote: »
    is he still drinking plenty of water?

He's drinking his normal amount. I'll try some rice and chicken with him and see how he is tomorrow.

The girl who looked after him on Saturday said in a joking way how it took a while to walk him because she allowed him to stop and smell/eat things whenever he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

ah feck, he probably just ate something that has not agreed with him, the poor lil mite

we generally dont panic as long as they are still drinking water, thats the main thing to make sure they are not dehydrated, once they are getting water into them and in good form I wouldnt panic too much (I used to and the vet would say ah your here again..) so I learned after a while

but yea I find the boiled rice and chicken great for settling their stomach

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help name0123, I grew up with dogs in the house but he's my first puppy since we got our own place. I guess I'm being a little over sensitive but thats why we love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What food are you feeding him ?

Royal Canin Junior

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Royal Canin Junior
    Please consider changing up once the pup is more stable; that's very overpriced food that's of medium quality only (all RC is).

Really? I was lead to believe that Royal Canin was the best you can get.
    What would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Royal Canin is far from the worst but its certainly not the best. Some dogs do great on royal canin.
    My current dog tended to have loose stools from any food with wheat/maize in it so that ruled royal canin out.
    Most peoples problems with royal canin is to do with the price they charge for medium quality ingredients.

I tend to avoid food that has wheat or maize in it.

I feed lukullus and find the quality good, for a fair price, with good ingredients.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Really? I was lead to believe that Royal Canin was the best you can get.
    What would you recommend?
    RC is like any other advertised brand food; greatly overpriced for what you get. Applaws has a good puppy range but there are others as well that are of similar quality to RC but about half price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just remember OP... If you decide to switch from RC... It must be a gradual switch. Mixing a little in each feed.

Ratio of RC increases as existing food decreases.

HOWEVER... While many here think its overpriced, I fed our husky RC for the first 2 years of his life and he did fine on it. Albeit a lot better on a raw diet these past 6 months.

It sounds like the RC isn't the reason for the diarrhea - so if it ain't broke... Don't fix it... Yet!

My rule of thumb for the runs is.

1. No food for 24 hours
    2. Introduce boiled chicken and rice for a few days
    3. Gradually introduce the RC back in.
    4. Plenty of water and watch for dehydration.

Deffo don't want a dehydrated puppy!

Hooked wrote: »
    1. No food for 24 hours
    2. Introduce boiled chicken and rice for a few days
    3. Gradually introduce the RC back in.
    4. Plenty of water and watch for dehydration.!

I'll do this routine and let you know how he gets on.
    Thanks Hooked

Advertisement