Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in to a friend who rented house from agency

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

me
    now what was so rude about my answers casue again i don't see it? where are those insults? and name calling? or whatever you see there
    you
    Where exactly did I say you were name-
    calling? Please tell me as I don't see any here.
    you see you again twisting somebodys words. i just asked if there is any insults or name calling.. i didn't say you said something like that.
    But your responses (am I living in another world for example) are extremely rude. It might not look it to you, but I certainly think so. And I'm not the only one to have told you that.
    are you then?
    casue i said in FIRST POST :
    I wont get letter from my previous landlord(he wont admit he rented )
    and you asked me why:
    I know the last landlord has refused you a reference (why?)
    so asked are your from another planet ? casue everybody knows this why.
    Now - I'm bowing out of this thread, as I'm hungry and we're going round in circles. I wish you luck with finding somewhere to live that will accept you without proof of income and no references.
    great, have nice evening, and please dont come back here casue im tired of you twisting my words.

if anybody else feels that i was rude please pm with quotes, im will be more than happy to explain myself.
    please dont off top. here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

sharky0922 wrote: »
    me

you

you see you again twisting somebodys words. i just asked if there is any insults or name calling.. i didn't say you said something like that.

are you then?
    casue i said in FIRST POST :

and you asked me why:

so asked are your from another planet ? casue everybody knows this why.

great, have nice evening, and please dont come back here casue im tired of you twisting my words.

if anybody else feels that i was rude please pm with quotes, im will be more than happy to explain myself.
    please dont off top. here anymore.

It's not off-topic that you are trying to rent a property without being able to provide satisfactory, or indeed any, references by the looks of it. Whatever the historical reasons, that's a fact. The landlord and agency are perfectly within their rights to refuse to allow you in their property on that basis. That's another fact.

There are many instances of seemingly good tenants "fronting" with good references only to sublet or rent on to people who would not have been able to secure a property otherwise, and then the landlord has a hell of a time trying to get them out. Perhaps you and your friend should have agreed your plan beforehand.

Given the tone of your posts I'm not surprised you are having difficulty getting people to deal with you, in all honesty.

Oh, yes, I am a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

People have been giving you good advice here, Sharky, irrespective of the fact that it's not what you want to hear.

When a tenant signs a lease it is for that tenant alone to live in the property. No-one else. If someone else wants to move in permanently they need LL permission, even if they are paying no rent and are there as a guest. It is obviously a grey area between a friend staying over for a while, and someone living there permanently, but that is another issue

It is completely understandable for LL's to be comfortable with who they having living in their house, no matter whose name is on the lease. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and you'd understand.

I presume you have friends or contacts who are professionals....solicitors or such like. Get them to write you a character reference and then explain to the agent and ask that they pass it in to the LL. I might be happy with a character reference from a professional person (who I could contact directly) if a potential tenant couldn't get a work one for whatever reason

It's not off-topic that you are trying to rent a property without being able to provide satisfactory, or indeed any, references by the looks of it. Whatever the historical reasons, that's a fact. The landlord and agency are perfectly within their rights to refuse to allow you in their property on that basis. That's another fact.

There are many instances of seemingly good tenants "fronting" with good references only to sublet or rent on to people who would not have been able to secure a property otherwise, and then the landlord has a hell of a time trying to get them out. Perhaps you and your friend should have agreed your plan beforehand.

Given the tone of your posts I'm not surprised you are having difficulty getting people to deal with you, in all honesty.

Oh, yes, I am a landlord.

ok, just wanted to know casue they are shooting themselves in the foot at this moment. surely he wont rent it for another term. if they make such problems

there was no plan.. he moved in couple months ago, and i just started lookin now, he asked me do i wanna live with him couse hes living alone in house.. i said sure..
    you assumed it was all delibareted plan to fool landlord and agency haha?

what tone? im responding same way im being talk to. please provide me with qoutes and what tone is that you think, but on my pm.
    any more assumption after couple posts? casue i have couple about you too..
    you see ? i treated you same you treated me...or at least i could

People have been giving you good advice here, Sharky, irrespective of the fact that it's not what you want to hear.

When a tenant signs a lease it is for that tenant alone to live in the property. No-one else. If someone else wants to move in permanently they need LL permission, even if they are paying no rent and are there as a guest. It is obviously a grey area between a friend staying over for a while, and someone living there permanently, but that is another issue

It is completely understandable for LL's to be comfortable with who they having living in their house, no matter whose name is on the lease. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and you'd understand.

I presume you have friends or contacts who are professionals....solicitors or such like. Get them to write you a character reference and then explain to the agent and ask that they pass it in to the LL. I would be happy with a character reference from a professional person (who I could contact directly) if a potential tenant couldn't get a work one for whatever reason

i understand both landlord and agency, but i think they are over the line there. lets leave at this. sure i cant do anything about it, its just my friend its getting screwed over more than me..he have to pay alone whole rent.
    thanks for you opinion.

they only want from previous employer, or a landlord.
    like i said before i could provide them letters..but i would have to pay somebody, and i dont wanna do it, being honest person WITHOUT any convictions (and i provided proof of that to them :/ ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

ok, just wanted to know casue they are shooting themselves in the foot at this moment. surely he wont rent it for another term. if they make such problems

there is was no plan.. he moved in couple months ago, and i just started lookin now, he asked me do i wanna live with him couse hes living alone in house.. i said sure..
    you assumed it was all delibareted plan to fool landlord and agency haha?

what tone? im responding same way im being talk to. please provide me with qoutes and what tone is that you think, but on my pm.

any more assumption after couple posts? casue i have couple about you too..
    you see ? i treated you same you treated me...or at least i could

There is nothing I can add to the advice you've been given on the thread already. The landlord/agency is doing nothing wrong, and in time you may understand why a verifiable tenant history is so important if you are ever in the position of being a landlord.

Good luck finding a place.

There is nothing I can add to the advice you've been given on the thread already. The landlord/agency is doing nothing wrong, and in time you may understand why a verifiable tenant history is so important if you are ever in the position of being a landlord.

Good luck finding a place.

thanks.
    im renting land actually.. bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

so if they refuse..they should be able to provide reason why on paper, without any problems and this will give me friend right to terminate. according to :
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html

No it doesn't Ive already explained this to you but your too busy ranting to read.

That refers to REASSIGNING A LEASE your not looking to do that your looking to move in with your friend.

If you come on looking for advice and information take it otherwise don't bother asking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i understand both landlord and agency, but i think they are over the line there. lets leave at this. sure i cant do anything about it, its just my friend its getting screwed over more than me..he have to pay alone whole rent.
    thanks for you opinion.

Your friend isn't getting screwed your friend agreed to rent this property on his own. He has no rights to move the goalposts after he has signed the lease.

if he wanted to rent with you then you should have looked for a property together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hey guys, Im looking for some advice.
    So i wanted to move in to house with my friend, he rented a house from agency Winters Property Management. But in order to do that i have to get 2 reference letters. I wont get letter from my previous landlord(he wont admit he rented ), and company i used to work is gone, so im kinda stuck.
    I know if you wanna rent it then you should get those but if you wanna live with guy who already paying 500+ for house and left 500+ euro deposit thats kinda ridiculous..
    I only found this about it, in landlord right:
    Quote:
    Decide whether to allow the tenant to sub-let or assign a tenancy (however if you refuse to allow a tenant to assign or sublet a tenancy this refusal can gives the tenant the right to terminate a fixed-term tenancy before its expiry date)
    So i wait for answer from them and landlord. But whats my options here guys?
    Do they even have right to this?
    Im really stuck, i cant rent anything and i cant move in anywhere atm with those crazy laws they set up.
    any help appreciated.
    A sub-let occurs when a tenant moves out and he rents the property to a new tenant - the original tenant remains a tenant (called the head tenant) of the landlord. As head tenant he also becomes a landlord to the tenant of the sub-let and must conform with all the responsibilities and obligations of a landlord.

When a lease is assigned, a tenant moves out of the property and a new tenant moves in, taking over all the responsibilities and obligations of the previous tenant. This avoids the need for any new lease agreement as the new tenant is just added to the original lease (by a deed of assignment).

A person who moves into a rented property at the request of a tenant would be a licensee or lodger. However, from a landlord's point of view, this could be problematic as the licensee may request to become a tenant. Here the big problem is if the tenant who invited the lodger into the property, vacates before the end of the lease, as a landlord then has a person staying in his property who has not been vetted and may prove a bad risk on his own.

In all the above cases, written permission must be obtained from the landlord for a sub-let, assignment or a licensee.

Furthermore, a tenant is obliged, under the RTA2004, S16, (n), to inform a landlord from time to time, of all persons residing at the property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement