Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elgibility for minimum wage.

Options
  • 27-08-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I've heard lots of stories about what exactly qualifies you for minimum wage - particularly 18+ with two years continuous experience in the workplace.

I worked in a supermarket for 6years, I left to go on an internship in the US an I'm coming home soon and weighing up my options for work. Am I legal entitled to minimum wage within this company? I'm 23 and left in march

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long have you worked, in any work place, since you turned 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Since July 2011, the Minimum Wage guarantees an hourly wage of €8.65 to adult employees over the eighteen with at least two years previous employment experience. For teenagers under the age of eighteen, this wage guarantee is €6.06 per hour. This increases with a first year of employment over the age of eighteen to €6.92, and with two years of employment experience over this age to €7.79.

Quote somewhere from google;) You might want to check if the amounts are up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

How long have you worked, in any work place, since you turned 18?

I worked in the supermarket from late 2006 to early 2008. amounted to about 18 months. And then from Late 2008 until early 2013 which amounted to about 4.5 years. I turned 18 turned 18 before I returned to the store in 2008. So I have roughly 4.5 years experience since 2008, bar what will end up being approximately a 7 month gap for the internship.
    wonski wrote: »
    Since July 2011, the Minimum Wage guarantees an hourly wage of €8.65 to adult employees over the eighteen with at least two years previous employment experience. For teenagers under the age of eighteen, this wage guarantee is €6.06 per hour. This increases with a first year of employment over the age of eighteen to €6.92, and with two years of employment experience over this age to €7.79.

Quote somewhere from google You might want to check if the amounts are up to date

I could have sworn the word continous experience was in there somewhere. Mainly because they were over 18, not getting minimum wage, but had two years experience. Does this two years experience need to be continuous? Or does it only start counting as experience once you turn 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I only quoted part, but I am sure you will find the whole piece somewhere.
    I personally don't think it has to be continuous - 2 years is 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

At 23 I would argue that you are entitled to the full €8.65, although there are some industry exceptions. What line of work is the new job/jobs you are applying for in?

ETA
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

So from the rates shown there you clearly fall into the adult worker rate, so continuous experience or otherwise is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

The job I would be returning to is General Sales Assistant in a grocery supermarket

Based on this: http://www.labourcourt.ie/Labour/Information.nsf/447a09a9deaa452280256a1b0052dc2e/42dace709bf1ef47802569e0004017ab?OpenDocument

Am I only entitled to €7.58 an hour? Thats the rate for someone at Job Entry, which I assume I am at because I quit and would be reapplying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

The job I would be returning to is General Sales Assistant in a grocery supermarket

Based on this: http://www.labourcourt.ie/Labour/Information.nsf/447a09a9deaa452280256a1b0052dc2e/42dace709bf1ef47802569e0004017ab?OpenDocument

Am I only entitled to €7.58 an hour? Thats the rate for someone at Job Entry, which I assume I am at because I quit and would be reapplying?

Did you not read my post?? As an adult over 5 years past the age of 18 I can't imagine 0heir being any legal grounding for a company to pay you less than €8.65

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You said it yourself: "I have roughly 4.5 years experience since 2008"

So, you are well past completing your 2nd year of employment since you turned 18. Therefore you would get the adult rate.

There is no requirement for the employment since you turned 18 to be in the same job, or continuous. It just has to have been employment.

Did you not read my post?? As an adult over 5 years past the age of 18 I can't imagine 0heir being any legal grounding for a company to pay you less than €8.65
    You said it yourself: "I have roughly 4.5 years experience since 2008"

So, you are well past completing your 2nd year of employment since you turned 18. Therefore you would get the adult rate.

There is no requirement for the employment since you turned 18 to be in the same job, or continuous. It just has to have been employment.

My apologies, I was interpreting something on the labourcourt document I linked incorrectly. It all makes sense now. Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement