Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening -ennis

• 27-08-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi so I'm organising a christening and haven't a clue what to do for the afters? Be great to know what ye did or have any suggestions? There will be children there as OH has lots of siblings :) was going to have it where I live but decided to have it at home in Ennis so no one has to travel and get hotel etc. So unfortunately I can't do it at a house.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

We've held christenings and other family functions in the Old Ground Hotel, Ennis and the Figtree Golf and Country Club in Dromoland. Both venues were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Clare Inn would suit you. Plenty for the kids there.
    http://www.theinnatdromoland.ie/The_Play_Inn.html

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

We had a communion at Magowna House and they were excellent, food was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

babygirlz wrote: »
    We had a communion at Magowna House and they were excellent, food was gorgeous.

Did ye have a sit down dinner? I don't think I could afford that. :-)

annettea wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of using an in-law's house? The Sherwood Inn (Tesco Shopping Centre) do catering for parties and functions, the food is very good and they're reasonable. They could create a menu to suit most budgets and they're lovely to deal with.

I think the Snack Shack in the Abbey Street Carpark do catering as well.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm so upset, who do u invite to a christening? OH thinks the full family and friends that's nearly over 50 people, I'd so prefer parents,godparents for a sit down meal but OHs family are not approving maybe we should forget about aunts and uncles, just parents and a few friends and our siblings?

Oh I'm so upset, who do u invite to a christening? OH thinks the full family and friends that's nearly over 50 people, I'd so prefer parents,godparents for a sit down meal but OHs family are not approving maybe we should forget about aunts and uncles, just parents and a few friends and our siblings?
    Annettea, Try not to get upset about this, I know it's easier said than done. I think you are being very generous having it in Ennis and not where you're living. You're saving your guests the hassle of travelling and paying for accommodation. I've been to all sorts of christenings - large and small groups. I'd prefer an intimate gathering any day. You could think of limiting it to godparents, grandparents and your siblings, most good friends will understand if you say the christening is a family affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I have all my parties etc in the Market Bar in Ennis, they do christenings communion etc and will cater to your budget, have had a lot of sit down dinners there and they are very reasonable
    The inside is beautiful and plush
    If you have over 50 people for a party the finger food and dj is free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We had a Christening in January and had it in the Old Ground, I couldn't recommend it highly enough, main event in the Cathedral, stroll across the road, have a drink, into the restaurant, no rush leaving, top notch food and service.

In regards to who to invite, it's a Christening, not a wedding or a party, it's a Christening, an event for a baby to be welcomed into a community by their family. When we had ours we just have our own brothers & sisters and the grand parents, that was still 20 people. We told our friends to call down for a drink afterwards if they wanted to (they didn't) but we met them later that night.

Other crap to put up with is what Christening gown to wear (make it easy on yourself and start a new tradition and get your own), when to have it (Saturday/Sunday, individual or group).

Remember it's your little ones day and they will be passed around like a parcel and when their tired at the end they'll just want to go home to bed, if 1 family says that such&such has to be invited have a think of all the other people that will need to be invited as well, my mother said that I'd have to my own Godfather, when I pointed out that would mean inviting my godmother and my OH's godparents as well that would add 8 people to the list not to mention the fact that as some of them were aunts/uncles we'd have to invite the rest of them, all of a sudden a Christening for 20 turns into 50 odd people.

Clareman wrote: »
    We had a Christening in January and had it in the Old Ground, I couldn't recommend it highly enough, main event in the Cathedral, stroll across the road, have a drink, into the restaurant, no rush leaving, top notch food and service.

In regards to who to invite, it's a Christening, not a wedding or a party, it's a Christening, an event for a baby to be welcomed into a community by their family. When we had ours we just have our own brothers & sisters and the grand parents, that was still 20 people. We told our friends to call down for a drink afterwards if they wanted to (they didn't) but we met them later that night.

Other crap to put up with is what Christening gown to wear (make it easy on yourself and start a new tradition and get your own), when to have it (Saturday/Sunday, individual or group).

Remember it's your little ones day and they will be passed around like a parcel and when their tired at the end they'll just want to go home to bed, if 1 family says that such&such has to be invited have a think of all the other people that will need to be invited as well, my mother said that I'd have to my own Godfather, when I pointed out that would mean inviting my godmother and my OH's godparents as well that would add 8 people to the list not to mention the fact that as some of them were aunts/uncles we'd have to invite the rest of them, all of a sudden a Christening for 20 turns into 50 odd people.

Yes exactly that's what happened with inviting people , OH was like I've to invite this person which means I've to invite my other their 5 children and it just escalated to 50 people. I'd be happy just to bring our parents ,OH has to invite his grandparents the godparents and a few friends and our siblings. Also I Dont want baby to be passed around I think I'll keep her with me so there won't be rivalary between our parents ha! Got the christening gown off OHs family supposed to be in the family 100 something years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If that's what's wanted I supposes that's what'll have to happen, Personal Issues or a forum like that might be a better place to discuss those problems though rather than a regional forum by the way.

My mother had a gown that she wanted to have my little 1 baptised in, it was the 1 my father than baptised in so it was over 70 years old and was a bit yellow, my OH said that cause it was a boys gown she wouldn't use it, my OH mother had a gown she used for her kids that she wanted used, it was bought in the early 80s and was very tatty looking, in the end we went down to Next and got 1 for €30 or something like that, we didn't tell the grandmothers we weren't using their's till they noticed ;)

We didn't bother with any friends cause we just wouldn't have known where to stop without upsetting someone, my OH has a friend who is more like a sister than a friend and it was tough on her not inviting her but she understood and now she has her own little one and a christening she said she's delighted she doesn't have to invite us.

To quote a phrase I used over and over when we were getting married, "those that matter won't mind and those that mind don't matter"

Great phrase actually I shall use it ha. I got everything else organised except the afters. Think its the worst part the inviting bit. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

They will cater to suit your budget, I found them very accommodating with us. They also have a bar if you just want to have it there with finger food etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

We had ours in the grove bar on the Tulla road
    There were 4 grandparents, 16 adults and 20 kids outside of ourselves
    They gave us a private section in the restaurant and there were different options as regards food we had finger food because the christening was at 2.30 and no one was too hungry by 3.30 :D
    They also decorated our little corner so I was delighted

angelfire9 wrote: »
    We had ours in the grove bar on the Tulla road
    There were 4 grandparents, 16 adults and 20 kids outside of ourselves
    They gave us a private section in the restaurant and there were different options as regards food we had finger food because the christening was at 2.30 and no one was too hungry by 3.30 :D
    They also decorated our little corner so I was delighted

I never thought about the grove bar, its nice and cosy there, was it expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I never thought about the grove bar, its nice and cosy there, was it expensive?

No they were very reasonable, can't remember off the top of my head sorry :o
    They also have lots of parking as well and don't seem to mind kids running around

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrsnib

I recently went to Eire Og for our christening, I got the Smitz in Smithstown Shannon to cater it, I got a cold meat buffet. We had 50 +people but the buffet made it affordable. We chose this option as like you there so many people to invite. We just had an ipod plugged in to take the dullness out of the place. Everyone raved about the food so happy out :-D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The Sherwood in Tesco Shopping Centre do catering and are very reasonable. I know a relative of mine used them recently. Food was good too

mrsnib wrote: »
    I recently went to Eire Og for our christening, I got the Smitz in Smithstown Shannon to cater it, I got a cold meat buffet. We had 50 +people but the buffet made it affordable. We chose this option as like you there so many people to invite. We just had an ipod plugged in to take the dullness out of the place. Everyone raved about the food so happy out :-D

do you have to be a member in the eire og? Great that yo had a great christening, and the guests were happy. Thats the scary part ha

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrsnib

do you have to be a member in the eire og? Great that yo had a great christening, and the guests were happy. Thats the scary part ha

Hey, the number is <mobile number removed> best to call inthe afternoons, I dont know if I am aloud to put someones number up here but I dont know how to pm soz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement