Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap pc or laptop

Options
  • 27-08-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Just looking around for a cheap second hand pc or laptop to put into the spare room; light browsing, Youtube and messing with photos would all it would be used or needed for.

Don't have a set amount in mind but max 200, would prefer 150.

Any suggestions, links or shops having sales?

Thanks for any replies. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Adverts.ie?

€150 should buy you a decent Core 2 Duo PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Torqay wrote: »
    Adverts.ie?

€150 should buy you a decent Core 2 Duo PC.

Will this computer from PC world be adequate?

Found it on this thread on the PC Building & Upgrading forum, seems to tick all my boxes.

Nice to have a year warranty and the ability to bring it back to an actual shop over a second hand one.

Thoughts? :)

Actually a quite reasonable deal. The "Ivy Bridge" Celeron G1610 performs comparable to some entry-level Core 2 Quad processor wich is not too shabby. You'll want to add some memory though. And you'll need a monitor.

Will this computer from PC world be adequate?

A little heads up: I just got one of these ASUS K5130 from PC World here (got it on Friday for €189 , now up to €289), added another 4 GB RAM for €30. I just wiped it and installed Windows 7... Windows 8 just had to go. ;)

The good: the performance of the Ivy Bridge Celeron is decent enough, comparable to a 1st generation Core i3 or Core 2 Quad.

wH0DAJJ.jpg

The bad: no HDMI port and the keyboard is terrible, dark grey letter on black keys.

Other than that, it's a great deal for 220 yoyos (a steal actually, when you look at the prices folks asking on adverts.ie for 2nd hand Core 2 Quad/Core i3 desktops). Is it worth €290? Absolutely not, if PC World wants to sell these desktops, they better bring the price down again.

Advertisement