Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a craft business

Options
  • 27-08-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm looking for someone to give me a bit of advice, I'm on job seekers benefit and I've recently done a few private craft fairs with a friend (who's currently on a job bridge scheme) it's looking like we might do well next year as we've had a few big companies express interest and been asked to be stocked in a few shops scattered all over the country.
    How do I go about becoming legit?? We're not gonna make huge profits outta this as it takes hours and hours for us to make out stuff and it's pretty reasonably priced.... Any advice at all would be great...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

What pary of the country are you based in? Your local enterprise board would be your first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

If you have been in job seekers for a while look into back to work allowance, this allows you to keep a portion of your benefits over a three year period and also I think lets you go t a short business course too. Go to the government social welfare website or google back to work allowance for all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lally25

Thanks for replying guys. I'm in Galway, my main concern is how it would work with two of us. Thanks, I'll see what enterprise have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

It would be good to go and see an accountant as well. They could advise on the best set up. There is a forum here under accountancy where you can request contact/quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We're not gonna make huge profits outta this as it takes hours and hours for us to make out stuff and it's pretty reasonably priced....

This is the major issue, this is the reason so many shops what your item, they will be thinking of sourcing your product for ~40% your current retail and are thinking of the possible markup they can achieve.

If you can't make a profit now you haven't a hope if you sell through a 3rd party retailer.

I also make some items but I now sell for 4 times what I used to charge and I only come out with about €3.50 per hour, but obviously I love making the items.

You should firstly cost each item honestly, supplies , equipment , time x €8.65 (for example). If this total is way more than you retail at now you have a problem.

Also cut out the middle man, look into selling on Etsy or maybe once or twice a year at a fair.

I am not totally sure about this but I would only approach the Social Welfare office when you have actually made money and have a business up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mod note: duplicate threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have a store that stocks a lot of Irish design stuff and it seems to be pretty tough to crack for people. To be able to compete with the international stuff you need to be able to price it really well which is tough to do on a small scale.

Advertisement