Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying Positive in the Workplace

Options
  • 27-08-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm not sure where to start but I'm feeling really, really jaded in my job. The more fed-up I get the more I retreat from interacting with colleagues etc.

I find it really hard to gather the enthusiasm together to engage, in a positive way, with my work mates. I find it pointless if I'm honest as I don't like most of them and I only work to serve a purpose - not to collect buddies along the way.

However, I know I need to snap out of it and make a concious effort to be positive, polite and interact even on a basic level. My negative attitude is making me dislike coming in but I don't know how to rectify it and get myself out of the 'doom and gloom'.

I really feel utterly fed up. The job is alright. I don't hate it enough to pack it in. I just wish I felt better about being in here and better about chatting to my colleagues.

Any advice at all would be greatly, greatly appreciate - even if there were motivational videos I could watch on the subject would be a huge help. Thank you!

ANOther.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you feeling like this in other areas of your life too? If so, head towards you GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No, feeling great in all other areas of my life.

I had a long think about it overnight. I need to CONSCIOUSLY be positive ... not just wait for the positivity to run my mind / body. I need to get to work and think 'yeah, it's great here, the people are lovely, mix, mingle and BE POSITIVE'.

It's probably something that doesn't come natural to me, in which case I have to teach myself how to do it. If I don't nip this in the bud it's going to affect my work and I really can't have that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

OP, that is exactly how i feel about my job.

I put in my earphones, do my job and home.

i am polite to everyone who deserves it, those who are pricks, i just blank out.

I find that most people i work with are the same, obviously except for those who are on worked related stress leave (of which there are many) but i dont want that on my record.

I find going out for a brisk half hour walk at lunch time really helps.

I also work my holidays, so that i have time off every 6 weeks.

Advertisement