Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forerunner 610 vrs Polar RC3 GPS

Options
  • 27-08-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading from my 305 and these 2 are the options I'm looking at. Have been reading plenty of reviews around the web but was just looking for peoples own opinions on what the like/don't like about either watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tough call. If accurate HR data is important, then the Polar should be the right way to go. It is missing average lap pace, which would be a big negative for me (I use it a lot for tempo/interval sessions). DC Rainmaker seems to suggest that is is comparable to a 110/210, which I thought was a strange comparison, given that it seems to be priced in the same region as the 610.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Yeah surprised the Polar is missing average lap pace. This would be a big negative for me too as its handy for intervals, tempo etc. The current pace on the RC3 is supposed to be very accurate so you might get away with using that combined with the timer. Maybe they will add in avg lap pace with a firmware upgrade.

One other negative for the RC3 is the lack of customisation of the display, I think you're fairly limited to what can be displayed in the data fields.

I wouldn't be too rigid on the HR but I think its important & I do like to compare HR to speed after a run to see how perceived effort compares to actual effort & pace.

I'm surprised the RC3 is compared to the 110 & 210, seeing as neither of the Garmin models have the same adaptability for cycling & the 110 is not compatible with a foot pod either (not a huge deal). Also the RC3 looks a far better watch aesthetically IMO, again not a big deciding factor but if you wear it as an everyday watch it might be.

As far as the 610 goes, I do like the garmin connect aspect. But I do believe the buttons can be quite tricky to use mid run & the strap is a bit brittle and easy to snap.

Not trying to put you off the RC3, but would you not consider the 310xt instead of the 610? Are the aesthetics really important?
    I do like the fact that the RC3 has a really long battery life when not in GPS mode, and can be used as a day to day watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

DC Rainmaker seems to suggest that is is comparable to a 110/210, .

He's way off the mark with that comment IMO.

When you look at the inbuilt HRV (via Zoneoptimiser) and Training Load features of the Polar not to mention the endurance training program that tracks your progress, Polar is streets ahead of the 110 (now defunct & replaced by the FR10) and the 210.

Up to 3 months standby on full charge as a watch & 12 hour GPS battery life.

Have a look at polarpersonaltrainer.com (will need to create a login) to see the support software and training features.

Average lap, HR, time and pace can be displayed with each auto lap segment when auto lap is activated. There is no rolling average pace like in the FR110 but realtime (& stable) pace is displayed.

If you want the flexibility to change the data fields then the RCX3 or RCX5 are a better watch for your purposes. Separate rechargable G5 GPS pod & a great looking watch.

Not trying to put you off the RC3, but would you not consider the 310xt instead of the 610? Are the aesthetics really important?
    I do like the fact that the RC3 has a really long battery life when not in GPS mode, and can be used as a day to day watch.

The aesthetics don't come into TBH. I just liked the idea of using either as an everyday watch but then again I'll probably end up taking it off in work and leaving it behind :o

I just re-read DC review of the RC3 & I don't like the fact that it is either GPS or footpod, not both. I would like the option of both as I do intend to get a footpod in the future to measure cadence. The battery life is a big plus for the RC3, but I doubt I'll ever need use it to its full capacity.

I would consider the 310 but I dont think it has a 1-second recording option for data AFAIK.

• Advertisement

If you want the flexibility to change the data fields then the RCX3 or RCX5 are a better watch for your purposes. Separate rechargable G5 GPS pod & a great looking watch.

I suppose its the bulk of a seperate GPS pod that puts me off here, something else to worry about making sure its charged up before a run. They are both great looking watches though.

The 7 data pages sounds great for the RC3 but you're limited to how you set up each page & you need to scroll through all the pages, you can't turn off pages you don't need.

antomagoo wrote: »
    I would consider the 310 but I dont think it has a 1-second recording option for data AFAIK.
    There's some confusion around this. All Garmin Forerunners record a data-point every second (though for some of the newer watches like the Fenix, you can slow this down, in order to conserve battery power). When smart recording is enabled on a watch, it discards specific data points if you are travelling in a straight line, in order to reduce the total size of the tracklog (and the amount of memory required for each workout). It doesn't change the accuracy of the recorded summary data, it simply removes data-points form the overall workout. And it can be turned off on the 310xt.
    He's way off the mark with that comment IMO.
    It did seem strange, as there obvious significant benefits over the 110/210 family. Looks like a decent watch and I wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime (but wouldn't part with my 910 for the privilege!).

I suppose its the bulk of a seperate GPS pod that puts me off here, something else to worry about making sure its charged up before a run. They are both great looking watches though.

The 7 data pages sounds great for the RC3 but you're limited to how you set up each page & you need to scroll through all the pages, you can't turn off pages you don't need.

You can switch on & off views if you want.

Again re DC the way Poalr configure the GPS and footpod, both work with the watch simultaneously, however, in the absence of a footpod the GPS is used to measure distance and create the map.

With a footpod present then the GPS is resigned to just mapping. The footpod dominates as it gives more information, cadence, stride length and measuring distance.

As for G5 battery life it's no more troublesome that making sure your Garmin is charged.

You can switch on & off views if you want.

Is this with the RCX3 & 5? Because according the DC you can't with the RC3GPS
    However, this is where its strength is its downfall: You can’t turn any of those pages off. Take for example my weekly interval workouts. For these workouts, I like data shown on page 3 and an page 6. However, in order to see those different fields (because they aren’t customizable), I have to scroll through each one to get to the right page. And, I have to do this while pushing a hard interval. Sometimes you miss the page and have to go back. I just wish I could disable/enable the given data pages altogether (even if I couldn’t customize them).
    Again re DC the way Poalr configure the GPS and footpod, both work with the watch simultaneously, however, in the absence of a footpod the GPS is used to measure distance and create the map.

With a footpod present then the GPS is resigned to just mapping. The footpod dominates as it gives more information, cadence, stride length and measuring distance.

Maybe I misread this, so you can still get cadence, stride length even if you are using the GPS for distance & pace etc?

Cheers for the feed back AK, whats your opinion on the 610?

Krusty, do you use the 910? price wise this would be too big a jump for me and like the 310, I don't swim so it would probably be a bit wasted on me.

Is this with the RCX3 & 5? Because according the DC you can't with the RC3GPS

This I'm going to double, double check. AFAIK you can switch these off or hide them via the Websync connection. I know you can't tailor them the same way you can in the RCX5.
    Maybe I misread this, so you can still get cadence, stride length even if you are using the GPS for distance & pace etc?

Yes, the footpod gives you all the cadence, stride length, distance and pace information. The GPS function is reduced to just mapping.

You do need to calibrate the footpod though, ideally on a track.
    Cheers for the feed back AK, whats your opinion on the 610?

TBH, I haven't played with one. For advanced running I use a Polar RS800x and have never felt the need to distract myself with even more toys :)

Some technical frustrations apart (data fields for example) if you are considering HR training I think its hard to beat the knowledge you gain from working with the Polar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Some technical frustrations apart (data fields for example) if you are considering HR training I think its hard to beat the knowledge you gain from working with the Polar.

I started using a Polar HR strap with the Garmin transmitter clipped into it a few months ago and get the best of both worlds that way (apart from HRV): Polar's better HR and Garmin's better GPS.

Krusty, do you use the 910? price wise this would be too big a jump for me and like the 310, I don't swim so it would probably be a bit wasted on me.
    Every day, several times a day. I've clocked up 5,376.86 miles of running (over a period of 663 hours) since I got it 18 months ago (that's 7:23/mile, to save you the calculation :)). Do I use it to it's full potential? Yes, from a running perspective, but no from a swim/cycle point of view. I reckon a 310 would have met my needs just as well, but I do like the lap/vibrate function in the 910. If I had to buy a replacement (the 910 was a gift), I'd buy a 310, even though I don't often swim or bike. I like the long battery life and hard buttons. I'd also consider the Polar, but like amphkingwest and his Polar, I've grown used to Garmins and how they work. It's kind of like the difference between Android and IOS. We're just fan-boys at heart.

I started using a Polar HR strap with the Garmin transmitter clipped into it a few months ago and get the best of both worlds that way (apart from HRV): Polar's better HR and Garmin's better GPS.

The few times I've used the Garmin strap its cut the chest off me. (Still have scars to prove it too!)

The Polar strap is a far better strap and picks up the electro signals much better than the Garmin premium strap. This is a regular work around for Garmin HR users, so popular in fact that Polar have changed their strap configuration so they are no longer clip compatabile.

The crafty Garmin users have worked around it already! You need to take a junior hacksaw to the plastic around the female button-clip to allow the male Garmin body to connect. Someone has a video done, I'll find it.

Advertisement