Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residual weedkiller recommendations.

• 27-08-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend a good residual weedkiller? By good I mean one that is effective for as long as possible. I was considering Pathclear Weedkiller Liquid Concentrate but it lasts for only 3 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Gautama wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good residual weedkiller? By good I mean one that is effective for as long as possible. I was considering Pathclear Weedkiller Liquid Concentrate but it lasts for only 3 months.
    Afaik residual weedkillers are banned and are no longer for sale in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

david-k wrote: »
    Afaik residual weedkillers are banned and are no longer for sale in this country.

Most residual weedkillers are no longer available, but they are not banned as yet.. Pathclear ;-)

A very good one and long lasting not sure if still available was Castron G ... How ever it was very expensive and could only be used on established Shrubs/Fruit Trees etc. or Ground to be kept clean/clear.

what kind of use are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

An old stone yard that has recently been graded to removed most of old soil deposits.
    I was thinking that Pistol may be worth a try:
    http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/professional-total-weed-killers/pistol-herbicide-1l.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I'm afraid most weedkillers have become ineffective for long term control.Well there is destrol which is the same as the commercial pistol product.
    Casoron G was very very good but since an eu directive:rolleyes: came in it has not been available.

Do you know of any good residual weedkillers used in the USA? A powdered one should be low enough on shipping costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

You want to ship a Powered substance from the USA? :-)
    What is the Law regarding importing Pestcides from outside EU for use as in a Private garden, am sure it wouldn't be encouraged ... If a garden Pesticide was banned for use in EU was brought in Privately ???

I did read recently that DDT is still used in some countries still

• Registered Users Posts: 2 four legs good

I'd recommend a bit of elbow grease. Great exercise and your saving the planet too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There is an alternative to the banned Casoron G available from Bayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Premazor 57, came across it recently, haven't tried it yet but supposed to be good for 12 months, apply in September simililar to the simesine replacement pistol I would imagine.

Pistol obviously is the other option.

You should be able to get premazor at your local creamery if you have one.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Premazor 57, came across it recently, haven't tried it yet but supposed to be good for 12 months, apply in September simililar to the simesine replacement pistol I would imagine.

Pistol obviously is the other option.

You should be able to get premazor at your local creamery if you have one.

M.
    Interesting, thanks for that I must check it out. I still have some simazine lying about, but don't use it that much any more, I find you really only get 4 months out of it anyway and its a pain if you want to add any new plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Interesting, thanks for that I must check it out. I still have some simazine lying about, but don't use it that much any more, I find you really only get 4 months out of it anyway and its a pain if you want to add any new plants.

1. It is banned so you shouldn't be using it now anyway.

2. it is only designed to work for 2-7 months.

Yeah, I'm considering Premazor 57 now. It's similar to Path Clear but much stronger.

I've got about 1,000 sq metres to do. Only a moron would do this using elbow grease.

Advertisement