Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a ex Landlord do anything

Options
  • 27-08-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I moved out of a house on last day of April went back a week later the landlord inspected the house and give us the full deposit back and he had already the letting agent we are now with a glowing reference all good.

Then this evening I got an call from ex landlord claiming we broke the bed in the main bedroom we didn't.
    I said this to him and that we have moved out months so it is his issue now he says oh so that is the way you want to play it. I said I not playing at anything we didn't break it I have pictures of the hold house and this bedroom put not of the base of the bed which he is stating is broke.

He hung up saying I haven't heard end of this what can I do I didn't break the bed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

He returned your deposit so he hasn't a leg to stand on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I moved out of a house on last day of April went back a week later the landlord inspected the house and give us the full deposit back and he had already the letting agent we are now with a glowing reference all good.

Then this evening I got an call from ex landlord claiming we broke the bed in the main bedroom we didn't.
    I said this to him and that we have moved out months so it is his issue now he says oh so that is the way you want to play it. I said I not playing at anything we didn't break it I have pictures of the hold house and this bedroom put not of the base of the bed which he is stating is broke.

He hung up saying I haven't heard end of this what can I do I didn't break the bed.

Stop answering the phone to him, he's chancing he's arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There's not a lot he can do. He should have inspected the place properly before handing the deposit over (if it was you that broke it for arguments sake). He's got no comeback now, especially since you left the place a while ago and it could have been broken since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

keith16 wrote: »
    He returned your deposit so he hasn't a leg to stand on.

Ya he does, the one off the broken bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Thanks guys I just worried he will turn up at my new place demanding money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tell him you'll see him in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Thanks guys I just worried he will turn up at my new place demanding money.

If that happens - shut door and call the guards. Job done.

Any responsibility for damage ceased when the deposit was returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Thanks sunny I will do that as my husband travels a lot worldwide as part of his job and he knows this too so would be afraid he turn up to try and get it out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There isnt a hope in hell that he could prove you broke something four months later. Unless he can provide a dated photograph from the time you moved out with shows the damage, and then it raises the question why would he return the full deposit?

Best course of action is to ignore him. If he wants to raise a case with the PRTB let him; its only his time and money that he is wasting. If he starts to harrass you then call the Gardai.

Advertisement