Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Famous

• 27-08-2013 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

When celebrities have embarrassing photos of them put in magazines you might hear someone say 'they have to expect that kind of thing when they're famous'.

Should they though?

Britney Spears was photographed getting out of a car with no underwear on a few years back. Is this the kind of thing she should have expected when she set about becoming a popstar?

I don't think celebrities should have to expect some of the things that they actually do have to but sadly, that's the way it is. My question is this: Have the paparazzi turned celebrity and fame into a smutty and scummy business?

I think that they are parasites. Nobody famous can act themselves, they have to be fake in public nowadays because they want that crystal clean image that nobody in the history of the world actually lives by.

If I ever become a billionaire I'd like to set up a magazine called 'Paparazzi Uncovered'. It'll have pictures of these perverted scumbags when they are looking their worst. See how they like it.

Unfortunately I will never be a billionaire...millionaire maybe...but billionaire, a bridge too far.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Its more then money, for some its ego....others get their head twisted by what "famous" actually is. Society has always put famous people up on a pedestal....going back to Greek times, the scholars and philosophers of the day were movie stars.

Roman times gladiators were the One Direction of their time....the notion of celebrity has changed. These z listers think they'll die if Radar or TMZ dont have a story about them each day.

Tis true alot of it now is motivated by money, but i think many more have had their minds totally warped.

I've often thought would i like to be famous?....no, i'd let my ego go rampant or self destruct. But would i tolerate it as a means to earn big money.......hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

There are alot of people who tip the paparazzi off as to what they'll be doing before they do it, or their management do it for them to raise their profile. There are some incredibly famous and high interest stars who manage to stay away from photographers altogether. I suspect that most of the ones getting all the attention or being papped are asking for it in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Fair point that some celebrities alert the paparazzi. I suppose I am just saddened by the fact that people make money from embarrassing others. Of course they wouldn't be in a job if there wasn't a demand for these magazines and newspapers by society...the world is smelly sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭arsenal1991

Im 50/50 on this sometimes on the side of celebs sometimes paps. I do think to a point you sign up for it. However there is such thing as going to far - chasing at speed in cars, private property, following kids (without there parents!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Im 50/50 on this sometimes on the side of celebs sometimes paps. I do think to a point you sign up for it. However there is such thing as going to far - chasing at speed in cars, private property, following kids (without there parents!)

I'm on somewhat the same page as you. Some people who are famous for the job they do (Jennifer Aniston, Michael Douglas, Heidi Klum etc) get followed and hounded relentlessly and I think in cases such as this they haven't signed up for it. They became actors or models and the fame came after. I think its horrible that when Jennifer Aniston goes on holidays to Mexico with her friends and fiance the long lens photographers spend their time taking photos of her sunbathing and then there are comments as to whether one couple has had a fight with another because one is drinking still water while another is drinking sparkling!:rolleyes:
    However with other people such as Kerry Katona, Paris Hilton et al they became famous for being famous and I think they have to take the rough with the smooth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement