Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest Food Festival

Options
  • 27-08-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

i see in Waterford news & Star that local restaurant and food establishments are being priced out of their own city festival - most restaurants are not going to have stands at the festival - price has risen from €250 to €2,500 this year - with "barbecue" and burger stalls being brought from Dublin.
    the promoter and events co-ordinator for the event are also Dublin companies. The Porterhouse Bar in Dublin are the bar company involved.
    Lets watch all our hard earned money go up the motorway to Dublin thanks to City Council yet again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

jennygirl wrote: »
    i see in Waterford news & Star that local restaurant and food establishments are being priced out of their own city festival - most restaurants are not going to have stands at the festival - price has risen from €250 to €2,500 this year - with "barbecue" and burger stalls being brought from Dublin.
    the promoter and events co-ordinator for the event are also Dublin companies. The Porterhouse Bar in Dublin are the bar company involved.
    Lets watch all our hard earned money go up the motorway to Dublin thanks to City Council yet again!

Whole thing was farmed out to a Dublin company, haven't heard of any local suppliers getting a sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

The world is rich in facts, but alas this thread isn't

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

invalid wrote: »
    The world is rich in facts, but alas this thread isn't

Alas, it always makes me wonder why people who seem to know all the facts don't tell us all the facts :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nypd wrote: »
    Whole thing was farmed out to a Dublin company, haven't heard of any local suppliers getting a sniff.

thats probably a complete exaggeration. if you look at the events going on you will see that there is loads happening with local businesses involved. There is a craft beer festival on and im sure that is where porterhouse got involved. you cant have a craft beer event with just Metalman and Dungarvan. As for all the food stalls, we dont have enough mix and amount of markets stall people here so outside people always set up at these things. Willing to guess a large portion of them are from the SE. increase of price from 250 to 2500 sounds ridiculous, i hope this is not the case.

This is a fantastic food festival and if supported could easily become the top food festival in the country, its already one of the best of them i have been to. Cue comments from people saying they got a burger....from ....for €3...at.....food festival etc.

PS, website keeps crashing when i try to open, anyone same? anyone have contact for organisers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

This Year:
    HOT FOOD €1,500.00 VAT - €345.00 TOTAL - €1,845.00
    SNACK/ BEVERAGE €1050 €241 TOTAL - €1291
    RETAIL UNIT €250.00 €57.50 €307.50

Last Year:
    Retail Stall 3mx3m Euro 85
    Additional space 15 Euro per metre
    i.e 4mx3m Euro 100
    Coffee and Snacks. Euro 140
    This price includes 1 x 16 amp electrical connection and gas inspection
    Hot Food Vendors. Euro 200

Last year was for just one day, this year it's for three full days.

There is a one day option for market traders for the Saturday in the park. Prices for that:
    HOT FOOD €300.00 €69.00 €369.00
    SNACK/ BEVERAGE €150.00 €34.50 €184.50
    RETAIL €75.00 €17.25 €92.25

I'm pretty sure that the organisers would not want to turn anyone away and if a local came to them with a proposal im sure compromises could be made.

Those figures above came from the article I read in the paper by the way. Public knowledge

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    thats probably a complete exaggeration.

Why would you assume it's a complete exaggeration.

There was a craft beer event last year by a local supplier which had more then just metal man beers.
    Metal man was promoted heavily which is only right.
    This year the bar has been given to a Dublin bar, I don't care how much of an institution these bars are in Dublin, this is a Waterford event and local suppliers should be given a crack at the whip,
    Which by the way they have the last 3/4 years since harvest was ramped up and now since city council have farmed out the event they have been unceremoniously dumped.
    This is just one example there is more.

Why would you assume it's a complete exaggeration.

There was a craft beer event last year by a local supplier which had more then just metal man beers.
    Metal man was promoted heavily which is only right.
    This year the bar has been given to a Dublin bar, I don't care how much of an institution these bars are in Dublin, this is a Waterford event and local suppliers should be given a crack at the whip,
    Which by the way they have the last 3/4 years since harvest was ramped up and now since city council have farmed out the event they have been unceremoniously dumped.
    This is just one example there is more.

re: exaggeration: i find it hard to fathom that they would increase costs of stall from 250 to 2500 in one year, i/we must be missing something. Im not calling anyone a liar, its more that such an increase would be mad, in every sense of the word.

There are plenty of events with Waterford businesses involved heavily. Whole thing is not being farmed out. Yeah, had a few metalmans at last one and no one is arguing why couldnt Revolution or some other pub do it that does a lot of craft beers. why didnt that happen, we dont know. Metalman will be at the craft beer event so go down there and drink local, happy days for you, the event and local brewers. they are not being dumped so no need for creating a storm in a teacup. BTW, who done the craft beer event last year, didnt make that, only got to the metalman stand at main picnic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

re: exaggeration: i find it hard to fathom that they would increase costs of stall from 250 to 2500 in one year, i/we must be missing something. Im not calling anyone a liar, its more that such an increase would be mad, in every sense of the word.

There are plenty of events with Waterford businesses involved heavily. Whole thing is not being farmed out. Yeah, had a few metalmans at last one and no one is arguing why couldnt Revolution or some other pub do it that does a lot of craft beers. why didnt that happen, we dont know. Metalman will be at the craft beer event so go down there and drink local, happy days for you, the event and local brewers. they are not being dumped so no need for creating a storm in a teacup. BTW, who done the craft beer event last year, didnt make that, only got to the metalman stand at main picnic?
    I'm fairly sure it was Revolutions.
    Flash was running the bar anyway.

yeah thought as much as only a few pubs do a good range of good beers, shame its not him or someone local this year as well but not a big deal in grand scheme of all the events possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Flash was intending to do the bar this year - he says he only found out he wasnt doing it when a guy from the Porterhouse Bar in Dublin came to ask for staff and licensing help. He tried ringing City Council but no call back. says the event organiser is a Dublin Company called http://www.vscevents.ie. He is annoyed that a local company did not get a chance to even quote for the event. Must say he does the job when promoting Metalman brewery as a Waterford company.
    Also was talking to some local restaurants are they are not taking stands due to the exorbitant costs involved. its 1,500 to 2,500 for a stand plus, water, plus electricity, plus gas plus Vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

The increase is accurate. Myself and many regular food traders in Waterford are priced out and many are choosing not to participate (because they can't afford to).

The festival is being run very differently to the way it was run in the past, and that's stupidity, given its always been very successful and something that local traders rely on every year to float them through the slow winter months. The local organizer was pushed out on the heels of Winterval and some criticism there (they did the same thing to local traders with that, too).

They have increased the price dramatically and there is no guarantee that footfall would be high enough over 3 days to justify that outlay to small producers. Its really hurting people this year, in a big, big way. Everyone will see the line up and think "fair play" to the council, but its doing nothing for local small businesses.

This used to be an event where you would see every small producer in the local radius involved because they could afford it and really get a chance to put the what the locals offer on the table. You will not see that at this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I go to a food festival I'm more interested in produce from the local area and environs not the bog standard ones that are at every festival.

I love the Harvest Festival and have been going to it since it started and one of the key selling points has always been keeping things local.

I'm not happy to see so much of the business going Dublin's way, even worse and more disappointing was to see that the festival launched in Dublin. It will lose it's appeal if this is the way it's going to be from now on.

I'm disappointed that the council have priced so many local businesses out of it so I'll be making sure I don't support any of the stalls or events from outside the area but will support the local businesses instead.

Where were the big Dublin businesses when the local businesses and groups started the festival and built it up? It's a slap in the face to those businesses who took a risk and built up the festival to then be priced out of it in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

deisemum wrote: »
    When I go to a food festival I'm more interested in produce from the local area and environs not the bog standard ones that are at every festival.

I love the Harvest Festival and have been going to it since it started and one of the key selling points has always been keeping things local.

I'm not happy to see so much of the business going Dublin's way, even worse and more disappointing was to see that the festival launched in Dublin. It will lose it's appeal if this is the way it's going to be from now on.

I'm disappointed that the council have priced so many local businesses out of it so I'll be making sure I don't support any of the stalls or events from outside the area but will support the local businesses instead.

Where were the big Dublin businesses when the local businesses and groups started the festival and built it up? It's a slap in the face to those businesses who took a risk and built up the festival to then be priced out of it in such a way.

There were two launches. One in Dublin to show the country what we could do. And another big one in Waterford. FYI

Also myself and other traders from a local market have approached them with a proposal and we are awaiting their response. If they accept our offer I'll be more than happy to sing praises that they are working with traders, but not everyone is willing to ask for a lower price when its issued so officially via email .pdf all outlined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

They've dropped the threshing on the quay as well. Pity, I used to like that. Used to attract people from Wexford down too.

The increase is accurate. Myself and many regular food traders in Waterford are priced out and many are choosing not to participate (because they can't afford to).

The festival is being run very differently to the way it was run in the past, and that's stupidity, given its always been very successful and something that local traders rely on every year to float them through the slow winter months. The local organizer was pushed out on the heels of Winterval and some criticism there (they did the same thing to local traders with that, too).

They have increased the price dramatically and there is no guarantee that footfall would be high enough over 3 days to justify that outlay to small producers. Its really hurting people this year, in a big, big way. Everyone will see the line up and think "fair play" to the council, but its doing nothing for local small businesses.

This used to be an event where you would see every small producer in the local radius involved because they could afford it and really get a chance to put the what the locals offer on the table. You will not see that at this event.

I would be concerned about what angelfalling says here. Everyone wants a good mix of local stuff and a few odd things from around the country because maybe local people arent doing kangaroo on a stick etc . Pricing locals out of it is not good. To play devil's advocate: Was the same complaint made last year? I was listening to FLash on WLR yesterday evening, didnt hear all of the interviews (Talking about city centre biz) but he didnt mention thing about porterhouse, you would think he would have since others were bigging-up the council. Heard the launch in Dublin and i thought that was a positive as it gets national press etc.

as for dropping some items like threshing, they need to mix it up a bit get some new things in so it makes sense in a way to drop some stuff and try others.

I will be doubling my efforts to support local producers when im down there anyway, will be drinking metalman and possibly eating paella from dunmore east. One way to for us all to support local SE producers is to buy local stuff and then the penny will drop for organisers.

Have to say, even with all that has been said, the event looks fantastic and im sure majority of events are of local benefit, dine in dark etc.

was in Rev last night for the match - asked flash what was the story - he said porterhouse got the bar - he was lead up the garden path with it, not asked to tender for anything - the first he heard was when porterhouse called into him looking for staff etc for the weekend. he is not a happy camper! he said he won't bring it into the public realm because he wants to see the city do well and be positive. Sad Really!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I'm still going to support it 100% but try to spend what I'm spending on Waterford Co's!

It's a great festival & deserves our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Is this all just speculation or are there any food vendors etc that can comment on this?

Is this all just speculation or are there any food vendors etc that can comment on this?

Not sure what you mean? I am a food vendor and know many other food vendors who are not participating who participated for the past number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

It is a disgrace and just stinks of greed............... all the local people and suppliers who have built up and made the festival the success that it has become over the years have been priced out this year!
    Why would you want to do anything to help this city if you are going to get shafted!!
    Ill take it that there have been no official comments from city council yet????

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Not sure what you mean? I am a food vendor and know many other food vendors who are not participating who participated for the past number of years.

No offense meant- I only had a chance to scan the thread due to being at work at the time. I was hoping it would be speculation because, in reality, it's actually sickening to think that local vendors are being shafted to make room for non locals.

"The Harvest festival- a little slice of Dublin in Waterford"

I'm genuinely gutted for ye. :-\

Spadzy wrote: »
    It is a disgrace and just stinks of greed............... all the local people and suppliers who have built up and made the festival the success that it has become over the years have been priced out this year!
    Why would you want to do anything to help this city if you are going to get shafted!!
    Ill take it that there have been no official comments from city council yet????

a bit of balance here maybe, while we all want to see local vendors, did they have opp to get stands?, of course they did. It wasnt just the vendors who built up the festival but the organisers deserve a lot of credit too. the vendors are there to make a profit and the organisers have a duty to minimise costs also so a bit of reality here, every seller down there is there for mostly their own benefit. however, I think its a bad startegy to increase stand costs so much.
    Probably no comment from city council as they havent been asked.

It wasnt just the vendors who built up the festival but the organisers deserve a lot of credit too.

The original event manager that was responsible for the resurgence of the harvest festival is no longer working on it.
    The current company looking after it have zero claim to any credit.
    I feel it's been run with what seems like no local knowledge.

The original event manager that was responsible for the resurgence of the harvest festival is no longer working on it.
    The current company looking after it have zero claim to any credit.
    I feel it's been run with what seems like no local knowledge.
    ##
    its a City Council funded festival, now run by Harrison Leisure in Dublin, another Dublin Company selling te stands and providing the shell structure, they are setting the pitch fees, they have "stands" who work with them in Bloom, Elec Picnic etc. They Believe the festival will be packed for Fri, Sat & Sun. Food stands are the Burger & hot dog stands seen at Winterval. i''ll miss Azzuro's Paella, Sabai's Noodles, Bodega's BLT, Revolutions great range of Craft Beers, and the rest! what a Shame Waterford is being run from Dublin!

Well, someone will be making money, at least...

The council loves this because its looks great on the outside and most visitors are unaware (like with Winterval) that very few local business are benefiting at all. Small food business don't make a lot of money, and it involves a LOT of unpaid work and time to run-- so these big events are necessary to continue to operate for many people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

This festival is bringing a lot of extra people into Waterford City & has a NATIONAL PROFILE.

It's important we all support it by spreading the word.

But by all means try & shop local as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Saw am advertisement in the independent today about it it's getting great publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

[BEER]

The details of the Artisan Beerfest have been announced, http://www.waterfordharvestfestival.ie/programme/details/artisan_beerfest. Decent lineup and the tenner entry gets you food.

Looks good, and they've sorted out the licensing, so it will be open until midnight this time.

[/BEER]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Yum, burger after burger after burger after burger....... snooze.

Advertisement